Gold Country Recommendations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
My work buddy and I are taking Friday off to go play motorcycles in the Gold Country. The anchor point is lunch in Murphys. Then thinking of heading north on 49 to Jackson, and eventually home via Ione and Isla Vista (through Lodi).

Can anyone recommend some rides up in the hills between Murphys and Jackson? Otherwise, I think we're not really covering much distance in the hills. 26 to 88?

There's not much room between Murphys and Jackson. Up around Ione is Fiddletown - a little bit of nowhere worth visiting.

James -

'If" you are going to (must?) ride the Vault line, then watch for road anomolies and take pictures of the pavement.

Whatever you see, post up some pictures.

See ya,

A nice road over there is Stony Creek Rd, runs from Jackson to Pardee Dam Rd to Camp Seco Rd to Valley Springs.

I often take this road, very little traffic, fun road.

We were just riding some of those roads last week and ended up on Hwy 4, a very technical ride as you go NE past Arnold toward Highland Peak. Just be aware that there are no caution curve speed limit signs, no guardrails and no lights at night, which is when we rode it. Oh, and we only saw 2 cars the entire length of road around 9pm...and 2 cows. During the day, this is a fun road that requires rider concentration.

If you want less technical riding, Hwy 26, as mentioned previously, is great. Even less technical but more cagers to contend with is Hwy 88, with some good sweepers instead of tight curves.

Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hwy 26 is a ribbon of fresh asphalt goodness. Sheep Ranch Rd, Pool Station Rd., Mountain Ranch Rd and Jesus Maria are all worth riding. Hwy 49 between San Andreas and Mokelumne Hill is good place to not speed.
These are all fantastic roads. They were featured in a NoPolio Rally a couple years ago. Jesus Maria, what a hidden gem.

See, JB, you need to start riding that rally for all the cool roads in the foothills. (That's how I found Fiddletown too.)

Secret sales pitch for the NoPolio (running on Sept 6.) if you're not into long distance rallies then you should run the NoPolio. Different vibe from traditional endurance rallies, just a day of fun riding with a touch of competitiveness if you are interested but optional if you are not, followed by a great meal and a chance to help an important charity. What's not to like? https://www.bestbits.org/nopolio/

Thanks, all, for these GREAT recommendations! And thanks to my new Linkedin "friend" Tyler for doing my work for me with that Google map.
smile.png

Tonight I will take a close look at all the recommendations and figure out what we can work in.

Thanks, all, for these GREAT recommendations! And thanks to my new Linkedin "friend" Tyler for doing my work for me with that Google map.
smile.png

Tonight I will take a close look at all the recommendations and figure out what we can work in.
Easy peasy... we do an annual trek up to my folks' place in Somerset so I am well versed in that area of the Gold Country... got tons more where that came from.

Also, I have a "secret" way back across the valley that doesn't touch freeway much at all plus not a lot of traffic or law enforcement... like this. 26 is way better than 88, imo. :)

Brad's so right about both 23 and 49 (do the one, don't do the other), but I bookmarked Tyler's route. When Jerry said something about Jesus Maria, I thought he was exclaiming till I saw her map! :lol:

But Hans, really, 49 on Labor Day Weekend? Traffic and enforcement are very heavy there at ALL times, but damn. To me, the real joy of riding in the foothills is the roads that turn off roads like 49 and 88. They all come out somewhere, and they're all fun, twisty, and MUCH more lightly travelled. For example, if you're heading up 88 past Pioneer, look for Omo Ranch Road (find it on Google Earth). It comes out after 25 miles or so near Plymouth (on 49). You might get lonesome on that road, but never bored. Ride it from either end. Couple million other good choices up that way too.

For example, if you're heading up 88 past Pioneer, look for Omo Ranch Road (find it on Google Earth). It comes out after 25 miles or so near Plymouth (on 49). You might get lonesome on that road, but never bored. Ride it from either end. Couple million other good choices up that way too.
Slug Gulch and Perry Creek (off of Omo Ranch) into Fairplay are awesome... I'll be hitting those this weekend on the way up to my folks' place. :D

I'm surprised Tyler missed Hale Rd between Shake Ridge (Volcano) and Fiddletown, but wow, what a great route! Tyler, you are the ride master.

Farther down in the valley, Rock Creek around the Salt Spring Valley to Pardee Dam are kinda fun, but Tyler hit most of that the long way. Endless fun in this area but be aware of the CHP station on Mokelumne Hill north of Jackson if you're on 49 or 26 in that area.

I'm surprised Tyler missed Hale Rd between Shake Ridge (Volcano) and Fiddletown,
It's been a while since I've ridden Hale and the last time I did, it was pretty dicey (water crossings, lots of crap in the road)... so I hesitated to put it on the list without recent experience. It's probably fine since it's been so dry.
wink.png

EDIT: But let's see what, if anything, Hans takes advice on. Maybe he'll be too skeered to ride some of them twisty roads and just stay on the freeway. ;) :lol:

P.S. Love you, Hans! :wub: