Rifle Run (ID UT WY CO)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spud

Reaction score
After a little planning and working out schedules, RPrice showed up to my house in Idaho Falls from Salmon Idaho on a Thursday night. I took a day off work (FR), and we took one hell of a three day ride through the west.

Loaded up and ready to go, we hit the road early.

20140821_210940_zps30ea2f66.jpg

The weather when we left could be described in one word: shitty. We slogged through some heavy rain and temps in the 40's-50's getting down I-15 to Logan UT. From Logan it started to improve, we went up Logan Canyon. At the top, talked briefly to some couples from Australia on rented HD's, they'd been on the road for a month in the US. They took our pic--overlook to Bear Lake (straddles the ID/UT border)

SAM_0372_zps5b2019dd.jpg

From there it was south to Evanston, WY, then up over HWY 150 through the Uintas. Rain hit us off and on--heated gear was turned on. But the sky was amazing.

SAM_0375_zps2732590c.jpg

We passed over Bald Mountain Pass at 10,715 feet. The road dropping back down from the top:

SAM_0376_zpsd18e1848.jpg

From there it was west to the Park City area, then back east on HWY 35 in Utah, back through the Uintas again.

SAM_0378_zps3fab48c8.jpg

Heading toward Vernal (RPrice)

SAM_0381_zps9c0d9bbe.jpg

SAM_0382_zpsd7a3b21d.jpg

Through Vernal, UT then Dinosaur, crossing into CO

SAM_0385_zps65bf90ea.jpg

We rode down into our destination, Rifle, CO. Highway 64 through Rangely and Meeker is a really excellent road, beautiful country out there (no pics). We rolled into Rifle pretty damn beat after around 640 miles of mostly mountain riding.

We got up early on Saturday to do our loop of Colorado for the day. The weather again could be described with the same word as the day before: shitty. The reasonable thing to do would have been to go back to bed, wake up later, find a bar somewhere and call it a mystery, but we jumped on the bikes and took off for our ride, a 420 mile loop down to Gunnison and back around to Rifle.

SAM_0387_zpsf89304e2.jpg

At least we were dry for a minute under the canopy while gassing up

SAM_0386_zps2acdcd82.jpg

Standing in the mud, one of my favorite things to do on a Saturday
uhoh.gif

SAM_0391_zpsc830431c.jpg

South from Carbondale on HWY 133 it looked like we actually might start seeing some sun

SAM_0390_zpsca4f4fb1.jpg

We headed on up the road, into this....

SAM_0394_zps8ffc3fe0.jpg

Took a wrong turn, pavement ended...

SAM_0395_zps22a22c0e.jpg

Through Paonia then south on the 92, the weather finally broke. I don't know everything about Colorado, but 92 from Paonia to Gunnison is IMHO the funnest road to ride in the state.

SAM_0397_zpsdc7df65b.jpg

Looking down to Morrow Point Reservoir, some heavy showers sweeping over the mountains behind.

SAM_0402_zps7ed34181.jpg

SAM_0403_zps5fa70c17.jpg

Some "14'ers"....

SAM_0404_zps69053576.jpg

The Dam

SAM_0407_zps412c2804.jpg

Then up over Monarch Pass. On top:

SAM_0418_zps1b61b122.jpg

SAM_0417_zps63109a30.jpg

Over Independence Pass, the highest part of the ride at 12,095 feet. Very chilly up there for August at 41 degrees.

SAM_0419_zpsb3dbc7a8.jpg

SAM_0422_zps2caf336d.jpg

After making the loop, that nigh we went to dinner and just randomly wandered into a restaurant in Rifle called "Shooters Grill". The waitresses all wear sidearms--it's the required "dress code" for the restaurant.

Not my pic....but you get the idea.

001dt_common_streams_StreamServer.jpg

The food was good--I'd recommend it if your in town. I guarantee no one will try to rob the place up while you're there...

The next day it was back to Idaho Falls, on a more direct route of about 540 miles. We left early.

Somewhere in Wyoming....

SAM_0425_zpsfdaa52e1.jpg

SAM_0427_zpsdba2ce3f.jpg

SAM_0432_zps8ce24dfd.jpg

SAM_0434_zps8890c284.jpg

I went into Idaho Falls, RPrice continued onto his house in Salmon--I think he did almost 700 miles that day.

All in all, a fantastic fall-like summer trip!

Thanks Spud it was nice to view some of the areas I rode last year and the year before. I agree that the highway along Black Canyon is a hoot, but I would like to ride it sometime when the pavement is dry. There was a light rain when we went through there last year and I was trying to keep up with Hot Rod Zilla.

We slogged through some heavy rain and temps in the 40's-50's getting down I-15 to Logan UT.
Good grief. I went out to get on the bike yesterday and the seat was so hot it was a challenge to sit on it. Got home a half hour later and as usual, I was covered with sweat. And I gotta look at this ride report with everybody dressed from head to toe in winter gear. This time of year, I'd love to be ANYWHERE but this place.

Great ride report. Thanks for posting.

Gary

darksider #44

Gary: in 2 months or so riding will be over, and in 4 months it will be miserably dark and bitterly cold here, if that makes you feel any better
smile.png

We, indeed, had way too much fun!!! Tires are pretty scrubbed off, on the sides!

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 Gary, I was reading "heated gear on" thinking - is this some kind of sick joke?

It would be hard to hold the big girl back in those open mountain twisties, but I'd be concerned about gravel. Is that a big problem and does the road surface lend itself to seeing the gravel easily (contrast)?

It would be hard to hold the big girl back in those open mountain twisties, but I'd be concerned about gravel. Is that a big problem and does the road surface lend itself to seeing the gravel easily (contrast)?
hppants,

As far as gravel goes, yes one needs be on the lookout for places where the rain washes dirt/gravel onto the road!! However, another concern is where vehicles enter the highway off dirt roads and track a bunch of mud onto the pavement. I think Spud would agree that this was actually more of an issue on this ride!

hppants,

As far as gravel goes, yes one needs be on the lookout for places where the rain washes dirt/gravel onto the road!! However, another concern is where vehicles enter the highway off dirt roads and track a bunch of mud onto the pavement. I think Spud would agree that this was actually more of an issue on this ride!
After rain in the mountains, you get mud, dirt, gravel, little streams, and some rocks as big as basketballs occasionally on the road. So yeah, it's not the time to be trying to scrape pegs even when the road dries out. Just dial it back a notch and enjoy the scenery. Springtime here is really bad as there is often a layer of sand or grit in the center of the tire-lane's and on either side from snow melt/removal. Then you really learn to hold a line!