Sleeping pad recommendation for camping?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxboy96

Reaction score
I'd like to know what you guys use/prefer for a sleeping pad when overnight camping somewhere on the bike. I for sure ain't hauling around the huge air mattress, so I want to go with a sleeping pad. I do have a little lower back irritation, so comfort is a must. Plus pack up small enough for the bike. What you guys use/recommend?

I, for one use the big ass coleman air bed. It doesn't take much more space than most pads, even with the d battery pump. And it's heavenly.

--Twin bed-- size air mattress and pump that plugs into 12 volt outlet.QUEEN Size for us. Duchess loves it! Couldn't do camping without it!
15066493321_bedf4bb283_c.jpg

Twin bed size air mattress and pump that plugs into 12 volt outlet.They take less room than the pad and is a lot more comfy.
I used a Therm-A-Rest 2x26x78 for years but the twin bed air mattress is more comfortable as long as the temperatures are mild and the ground is not too cold.

One of those emergency thermal foil blankets under the mattress helps if it be cold.
I have one of those but have never used it. I thought it would work better if it was on top of the mattress so it could reflect body heat.

I am probably more sensitive than most to ground cold because I use a light weight goose down sleeping bag and the bottom side is compressed so much from my body weight that it doesn't provide squat for insulation.

I've had a number of Thermarests, and so far, they've all lost the ability to hold air all night long. After the last one gave out, I spent some extra and got one of these: the Exped air mattress with built-in pump. Inflates pretty quickly and easily and it's comfortable. There is actually down inside the inflation chambers that insulates it from ground cold, and it really works. You'll see a video icon on the linked page--play it, and then the other vid on the new page that opens when you click on the first one so you can see how it works. Very ingenious.

Got it at REI and it is expensive! But they do have a couple of good sales every year, especially if you're a member. It folds up MUCH smaller than any Thermarest, a big plus. When I go camping, the bike is right AT capacity, and that makes a big difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using an inflatable air mattress but that Exped looks great. Had a look at their website and see they have a LARGE selection of models.

Thermarest.

They even sell a "short" version that packs up small. I've used mine on everything from concrete to picnic tables and always slept well. Just clear the area of sharp objects.

I bought the Big Agnes insulated inflatable sleeping pad 3 years ago. Here's the new version of that one:

https://www.rei.com/product/846692/big-agnes-air-core-insulated-sleeping-pad-#specsTab

Inflates in 20 breaths, rolls into nothing, pretty good. It developed a small leak that I can't find. I have to re-inflate it twice during each night. Piss on that, so I just replaced it with this one:

https://www.rei.com/product/868676/alps-mountaineering-nimbus-air-sleeping-pad-long-special-buy

Not as insulative, but on sale and we'll see.

If you are taller than 5'-10", get the "long" size of you will be disappointed. Same goes for sleeping bags too, IMO.

So I tried the Exped and wound up sleeping on the ground as I'm big and it's small. I still use the pillow pump deal.

I then went to a queen air mattress that I have used the last three years and long as it's not cold, don't spend the night in Jackson Hole or Yellowstone at the end of September with out extra insulation!

I just purchased one of these, but haven't tried it yet.

https://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-183-sleeprite-cot.aspx

We will see................

I have the REI 2.5 in. self inlfating pad. It works for me, but it's only 3 season (not recommended for winter).

Thermarest. Comfortable and packs small. I think the two I have are Thermarest Deluxe. Got them from Campmor.com. If you watch, they have sales quite often and you can pick them up for ~60-70 bucks.