Starting burp on my '05 which dumps my clock and odometer? 50-60-70 ride.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerskier

Reaction score
Yesterday morning on Day 4 of my 50-60-70 ride in Hyder, AK, the bike had a sudden false start when re- starting it at the border checkpoint. Just turned over for a half second and quit, started fine on the second attempt. The bike was warm. Then I noticed that the clock had reset to 12:00 and the two trip odometers has zeroed out. That was frustrating since I had hoped that odometer 2 would record my total trip mileage.

Shit. Worse, maybe I have an ignition or battery problem or other? That would no be fun with over 60 days to go on the ride.

Considering the roads that you are riding on is there a possibility that you have a loose battery cable?

Do you have a volt meter on your bike?

I had my Gen 1 do this a handful of times. Usually when warm, shut it off for a minute, then try to restart - like at a border crossing. It's usually a sign the battery is getting tired. If I recall, I ran for another year before I changed the battery. Nothing that will leave you stranded, but, something to get taken care of.

Enjoy your trip!

I had this happen on my 04 twice. Both times were when bike & air temp were HOT.

I think its called "hot start syndrome", there is info here on this. I dont think its anything to worry about.

Battery connections have to be quite tight. On my '04 the negative cable terminal doesn't naturally align perfectly with the battery terminal. The bolt has to pull the cable into position and hold it as well as compress the connection. It's a candidate for some loosening over time. Yet I'm always wary of cranking the bolt too much -- the battery terminals look somewhat flimsy.

For me a first indication of the loosening of the connection is an occasional dimming of the lcd display during cranking. The voltage dips just enough to cause a momentary blank display but not enough to affect the clock and trip meter data.

The battery is good but the negative connection has a bit too much resistance which is revealed during cranking -- high current flow.

I used to have this happen to me a lot. Believe it or not, it was my own fault. I had been tweeking the throttle open slightly by habit when starting the bike warm. That was most likely leading to a misfire during the warm start up. I've since forced myself to leave my hand off the throttle when starting a warm engine. Never had the problem occur again!

I used to have this happen to me a lot. Believe it or not, it was my own fault. I had been tweeking the throttle open slightly by habit when starting the bike warm. That was most likely leading to a misfire during the warm start up. I've since forced myself to leave my hand off the throttle when starting a warm engine. Never had the problem occur again!
VERY good point. Never try to "out-think" the fuel injection.

Assuming your hot idle is 1000~1100rpm, you should never have to "help" the fueling system start the bike. Otherwise you risk screwing the starting mixture.

But your clock/odometer reset definitely points to a poor connection or a battery in its first stages of needing a replaceoectemy.

Yes, it may well be the battery. Problems with hot restart may also be the starter motor going south. Might be worth checking the starting current with a clamp-on DC ammeter. High starting current is a pretty good indication that the starter is the problem. If its the battery, you should probably replace it sooner rather than later; especially if you are on a long trip. The starter motor could probably be babied for some weeks (or longer) if necessary. By all means, verify that your battery connections are tight.

Most of you are spot on. The positive post connection had started to loosen up and several connectors could be pulled right out. Pretty simple and easy fix, but since it was pouring rain this AM, I had the local Yammie dealer do it. Cost $20 bucks, great deal!. Rained all damn day, cold and very wet when I lurched into my BnB in Jasper.

My '05 did the same thing this week. Rode home from work, it was hot, made a quick stop at home, went to leave and bike cranked slow/hesitated, then fired up. Only later did I realize that my clock had reset (didn't notice if odo had). Battery is about 2 yrs old and I have checked the connections within the past few months. Otherwise, bike cranks over and starts normally each morning and afternoon for my commute but now I'm a little wary of making a stop at full temp. I'll be in there this weekend to swap my CCT anyway so I'l check battery again but otherwise, I figure a new starter may be in order at some point (bike has 50K on it).

Mr. BR