Yamaha new oil filter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pjturbo

Reaction score
I just bought an oil filter for my 05 FJR. It's not as long as the old one and the parts man said that Yamaha has changed it and given it a new part number. Anyone looked into this? Is this new filter correct or is this some scam by parts? I'm leary of puting it on.

Phil

You should have specified to the parts associate what type of lubricant you are running in the FJR. The standard length filter is for both conventional and synthetic oils. The new filter, which is not as long, is for those who have switched to the new Crisco brand lubricant. It does that to the filter because it is actually shortening!
weirdsmiley.gif

NEPRT bound.

You should have specified to the parts associate what type of lubricant you are running in the FJR. The standard length filter is for both conventional and synthetic oils. The new filter, which is not as long, is for those who have switched to the new Crisco brand lubricant. It does that to the filter because it is actually shortening!
weirdsmiley.gif

NEPRT bound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWQtJVPzWeI

Yamaha changed to the shorter filter so I would have to buy another filter wrench. Using a strap type now on the long filter and it just grips the very end of the filter.

Yamaha changed to the shorter filter so I would have to buy another filter wrench. Using a strap type now on the long filter and it just grips the very end of the filter.
It would fit the very end of any length filter ... or am I missing something.

I bought one of the new Yamaha filters from a dealer not realizing it was a shorty.

I returned it and bought 3 Purolator PL14610 at Wally World for the price of the new whizzz bang short pos Yamaha filter.

If the loss of that tiny amount of filter media is going to be the difference in whether the FJR motor wears out prematurely I think I had better by a Harley Davidson instead.

The filter was purposely designed shorter to decrease the amount of oil held in the filter.

That way, those FJR owners who insist on the ridiculous habit of "pre-filling" their filters won't make such a mess in their driveways.

So, while Howie captured one big advantage, he missed on the huge economic benefits of going with the new shorter oil filter.

Now, stay with me here... The old oil filter held 6.72 ounces of oil in it. The new shorter one holds only 4.25 ounces, a savings of 2.47 ounces of motor oil. Now, knowing that an oil change with the old filter was a total of 4.23 quarts, or 135.36 ounces of oil, using the shorter filter means that every 55th oil change is for free!

Now that right there is some savings you can bank on! :thumbsup:

umnik.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The filter was purposely designed shorter to decrease the amount of oil held in the filter.
That way, those FJR owners who insist on the ridiculous habit of "pre-filling" their filters won't make such a mess in their driveways.
You are knockin' 'em out of the park today RH.
laugh.gif
snackbauer, right you are mi bueno Amigo! RadioHowie has really been batting some big wood with his last dozen posts. I'm fully convinced that the crusty old bastard finally got laid, the first time since Jimmy Carter was President! jes' sayin' and nuff said, Manatee!

Last edited by a moderator: