Difficulty Installing J&M JCMB-2003 on 2014 FJR1300ES

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericedelman

Reaction score
Can you use longer spacers behind the bracket to move it out towards you a little to access the switch? Maybe also elongate the holes to move it up higher so you can push the PTT switch down to use it... Just thoughts as I have installed several of these on different bikes over the years as well.

We have done 2 '13s & a '14.

Flatten the bracket and repaint it. Drill a hole and mount it on the left mirror hole using a ram ball or adapter for that thread. The cb will be lower and back further making it easier to use the PTT switch.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/justkrusen/13939514946

13939514946_29aaecff86.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We have done 2 '13s & a '14.
Flatten the bracket and repaint it. Drill a hole and mount it on the left mirror hole using a ram ball or adapter for that thread. The cb will be lower and back further making it easier to use the PTT switch.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/justkrusen/13939514946

13939514946_29aaecff86.jpg

Nice!

How do you like the J&M system? I just bought the new Sena 20s and still not sure bluetooth systems are ready for prime time.

The J&M works pretty good. Not as good as the Gold Wing CBs we are use to but not bad. Range seems to be about 1 mile max in line of sight. The Wings range was about 2 miles under the same conditions. When in range the cb is very clear even at 80 mph cruising speeds. It could use more cb volume as most of us have them near max with our ear plugs in. I connect my Iphone to the J&M for music, Waze & weather radar. Music is very good and clear with plenty of volume, only a fraction of available is needed. Intercom also works well but I have only used it a couple of times.

I'm not ready for BT yet. To expensive just to lose a cord. Most BT batteries would not make it through a normal day ride for me. Even though CB is old tech it still works well for us. I regularly ride with 5 other guys on long trips. How would BT even work with this group?

Love my J&M. You might get more than a mile range if you have one of those 4 foot whip antennas like the Goldwings have. A 2 foot Firestik gets me about a mile though and that's adequate.

You won't find a company with better customer service though. I had a faulty PTT switch just outside of warranty, that they fixed on their dime. I was leading a group in WV and had my microphone stop working. It was 5 years old, well outside any warranty. Called them up and they said send whole headset in. When it arrived, of course the microphone worked fine for them and couldn't find anything wrong. But because I had an issue, they replaced the socket and the mic for free on my word alone. Turn around was within a week both times.

Happy to see it being do-able on a Gen 3. Makes that a little more appealing than it was before.

Can you please post some pics of your antenna installation? I want to install an antenna on my 2007, but need to come up with something that won't foul the top box.

I originally went with the license plate mount from Sierra-MC. I wasn't really concerned with the top box, since I had a 1 foot antenna to start. While it avoided the top box some, I really didn't get the range I wanted. Went to the 2 footer instead. What I did was flattened the license plate bracket out and put it under the top box, but on top of the mounting plate. I got a bolt a little longer than the ones used to anchor the mounting plate and bolted it down with a series of washers underneath. The bolt runs right into the frame for ground.

01.jpg

02.jpg

It does have a little bounce in it, and I've been meaning to do a little more solid setup. This is what worked in a pinch. I have no issues with putting on or removing the top box.

I should also note that you should have one of these in your installation. Allows the CB antenna to be bent at 90 degrees. Required if you cover your bike or trailer in an enclosed trailer. Doesn't mean you won't forget every time you run up the ramp, but it is useful to have.

ez1.jpg

To remove the bounce make a new bracket out of heavier metal from Home Depot and paint it black. Making the bracket long enough to use 2 mounting bolts will also help.

One thing I forgot to mention but the way I mounted the CB lets you have access to all of the control buttons on the left bar. The J&M bracket will have the CB blocking the controls which I found unacceptable.

To remove the bounce make a new bracket out of heavier metal from Home Depot and paint it black. Making the bracket long enough to use 2 mounting bolts will also help.
One thing I forgot to mention but the way I mounted the CB lets you have access to all of the control buttons on the left bar. The J&M bracket will have the CB blocking the controls which I found unacceptable.
Yeah, it has been on the list of things to do. Life just gets in the way is all. That's just a nicer way to say I'm lazy.

I've mentioned the issue with the left hand controls to J&M, but they didn't seem to be aware the new model. Not sure if anything is in the works. In all honestly, not being able to use all the left hand controls with a J&M installed was a deterrent in getting one. Now that I see it can be done, I just need to work on the other deterrent, which sleeps in the same bed as I do.

I'd like to see some more detailed pictures of what you did. Is there a hole for a RAM mount already? Not too familiar with the Gen 3.

The hole for the ram ball is already there. It looks like a mirror should be mounted there. Get a ball or adapter that is threaded for a mirror and you are good to go. I don't think I have any other pictures but will check.

On my bike I used the mounting bracket from my '11 C14 and flattened it out. I don't think I needed to drill any holes in mine. My friends both bought FJR brackets and needed to make a few mods to them.

Here is the antenna bracket we made on a friends bike.
15052896240_ffe63d51fa.jpg
Thanks for this pic. Very simple and clean install.

The hole for the ram ball is already there. It looks like a mirror should be mounted there. Get a ball or adapter that is threaded for a mirror and you are good to go. I don't think I have any other pictures but will check.
On my bike I used the mounting bracket from my '11 C14 and flattened it out. I don't think I needed to drill any holes in mine. My friends both bought FJR brackets and needed to make a few mods to them.
Pretty sure that thread is 10 x 1.25.