rear differential gets hot

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel78362

Reaction score
just changed the final drive gear oil, went out to cover the bike when I checked the differential for leaks by touch, I found that it was very warm to the touch even after 30 minutes. Is this normal, does the differential generate that much heat. or is there a potential problem. I used the recommended weight in a Synthetic blend. Have a good holiday weekend folks.

Be Good, Be Safe

Daniel

Rear drive does generate quite a bit of heat. BTW, the rear drive is not a differential, no motorcycle has one.

It would depend also on the ambient temperature in your garage. If it is hot (90-100 or so), it takes quite awhile for gear boxes, engines, etc. to cool down. I wouldn't worry about it unless you have other symptoms, these things are practically bullet proof.

Dan

Years and years ago, we switched over to using RedLine Shock proof heavy duty gear oil for the final drives on BMWs. Since that time we have used them in the transmissions on Harley Davidsons, makes the trannys shift smoother and also makes it easier to find neutral. I am new to FJRs and was wondering if one could use the Redline Shock Proof heavy duty gear oil in the final drive as well?? I have searched, but found nothing and am a little gun shy about asking questions around here! So if anyone knows, I'd appreciate some info.

thanks,

Rexford

Last edited by a moderator:
Years and years ago, we switched over to using RedLine Shock proof heavy duty gear oil for the final drives on BMWs. Since that time we have used them in the transmissions on Harley Davidsons, makes the trannys shift smoother and also makes it easier to find neutral. I am new to FJRs and was wondering if one could use the Redline Shock Proof heavy duty gear oil in the final drive as well?? I have searched, but found nothing and am a little gun shy about asking questions around here! So if anyone knows, I'd appreciate some info.
thanks,

Rexford

thanks,

Rexford
The owners manual specifies "Yamalube Shaft Drive Oil Exclusive" (part number: ACC-SHFT-EX-00). It is spendy and not all dealers are carrying it but that is what I am using.

Dan

Mobil 1 hypoid gear oil - 75W90 . . . . . it'll get warm since it dissipates about 5 horsepower (~3500 watts) under power.

Not as hot as BMW...

r1200gs_final_drive_burnt-M.jpg

Specifies or recommends? They can specify an oil with specific ratings and qualities, but that is different than requiring a specific brand. Fact is a synthetic GL-5 rated, 70W-90 gear oil will do fine.

Specifies or recommends? They can specify an oil with specific ratings and qualities, but that is different than requiring a specific brand. Fact is a synthetic GL-5 rated, 70W-90 gear oil will do fine.
From my manual. Though it wouldn't surprise me if your local dealer says their product is "required."

Capture_zpsa7d58049.jpg

I had a gallon of good quality SAE 80-90 synthetic left over from my 4WD. I expect it to last a long, long time ;)

The super whale jiz that Yamaha specs is a little overboard. First off, hardly any dealer carry's it. Second, it's about 4 times the price of the off the shelf stuff. Any good GL-5 oil will work fine. I change my rear end fluid practically every oil change. I hasn't blown up yet. I will be hitting 70K on the odo by the end of the week. Hell If I go for a nice long ride tomorrow I may do it then.

Dave

BMW likes to pull the same crap. Rebrand Castrol ALL products and double the price as if it were made by Elves out of Unobtanium. Of course BMW needs Unobtainium to pay for claims associated with final drive failures that or an axle with a real swing arm!
Fixed it for you Pterodactyl.
smile.png

From my manual. Though it wouldn't surprise me if your local dealer says their product is "required."

Capture_zpsa7d58049.jpg

I had a gallon of good quality SAE 80-90 synthetic left over from my 4WD. I expect it to last a long, long time
wink.png
The line that said "SAE 80 API GL-5" is no longer in the 2014 manual...

It may surprise folks to hear me say that the motivation behind the oblique and changing language regarding oils used by Yamaha and other manufacturers is money. They cut a deal with some oil producing company to package an off the shelf product with the Yamaha name. They then raise the price, make unsubstantiated claims of superior performance and do all they can to lead owners into believing that no other product on earth will work. They stop short of saying their product is required because to do so would mean running afoul of consumer protection laws. Yamaha may have changed their language, but no substantial changes have been made to the FD that would make any commonly available synthetic GL-5 rated gear oil unsuitable. Yamaha and the other makers want you to pay a premium for products you can buy at an Autozone for a fraction of the price. BMW (I own four) wants $22 for a quart of gear oil. I can get a quality brand of the same stuff for $10 less at an auto store or Wally World.

It may surprise folks to hear me say that the motivation behind the oblique and changing language regarding oils used by Yamaha and other manufacturers is money. They cut a deal with some oil producing company to package an off the shelf product with the Yamaha name. They then raise the price, make unsubstantiated claims of superior performance and do all they can to lead owners into believing that no other product on earth will work. They stop short of saying their product is required because to do so would mean running afoul of consumer protection laws. Yamaha may have changed their language, but no substantial changes have been made to the FD that would make any commonly available synthetic GL-5 rated gear oil unsuitable. Yamaha and the other makers want you to pay a premium for products you can buy at an Autozone for a fraction of the price. BMW (I own four) wants $22 for a quart of gear oil. I can get a quality brand of the same stuff for $10 less at an auto store or Wally World.

Well that is certainly one opinion. And while there may be some truth in there, it is my opinion that there is quite a shortage of factual information also.

Well that is certainly one opinion. And while there may be some truth in there, it is my opinion that there is quite a shortage of factual information also.
My opinion, and that is all that I can offer after using cheap ass GL-4 and GL-5 oil since 1984 without a hint of a problem, is that there is a great deal of truth in there.....and note that "recommended" is quite different than "required".

Wow. I did not realize Yamaha was really our enemy. The sneaky bastards sell us a bike we like at a price we think makes sense then overcharge us and lie to us for everything else? I'll fix 'em. I'm going to put Honda oil in there.