oil level

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fng-ga

Reaction score
I did my own 600mi service at about 614 miles. After draining the oil (warmed up per the OM) I replaced the filter and filled with 4 qts of oil. Checking the level, it looked a little below the punch mark, so i measured out about .2 qt (more or less per the manual) It then checked "just right". I now have 2100 miles on it and when checking the oil (it has only been a week since changing), It looks like the sight glass is full to the gills? I have put 1400+ miles on it and there have been no problems, leaks, etc. Should I drain a little out?

The manual calls for 4.23 qts. I just add 4 quarts 8 ounces figuring the additional .02 quarts won't matter ;)

It is a mystery. I can change mine with 4.25 quarts that I use, start it on the centerstand to check for leaks, stop it and wait, and it'll settle in on the top line. I can do this again, and it'll continue to settle in on the top line until I actually take it for a ride. After a ride, it'll cover the window as you've described. After that, it'll cover the window until the next change.

I'm befuddled, but I've stopped worrying about it.

No .....

Really.

I have.

Same scenario with ours! We wondered about that.

You can go insane chasing the oil level in the window. Put it in and as long as you can see oil in there you are okay. If you are really worried get some help leaning the bike to the right side to see if you can see the top of the oil, if you can the forgedaboutit.

You can go insane chasing the oil level in the window. Put it in and as long as you can see oil in there you are okay. If you are really worried get some help leaning the bike to the right side to see if you can see the top of the oil, if you can the forgedaboutit.
I SAID I'M NOT WORRIED ABOUT IT! JEEZ!

wink.png

You're right. It's a puzzle. But it's not worth worrying about.

I changed my oil yesterday. Next I worked on my truck, and I needed space in my shop to work on my truck, so I moved the bikes to the house because it was supposed to rain and I didn't want to park them outside. So I ride the FJR to the house -- about 50 yards, parked it on the side stand, then after finishing the truck, I rode it back over and parked it on the center stand. This morning, it's still on the top line. I expect after I take it for a long enough ride to fully warm it, it'll cover the window again.

But am I worried about it? Noooo. Not me. I ain't letting it bother me.
fool.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
My 05 did and my 11 does the same thing. Has never caused a problem.

Google " oil level high fjr1300" and you will get plenty to read.

I always put in 4 quarts, then run the engine for a minute or two to fill the filter, then fill it to almost the top of the window. Then I forget about it until the next change or until the low oil light comes on.

After only 1500 miles I had oil leaking down the water pump case on the right side. Took it in to the dealership & they told me they had overfilled it at the 600 mile oil change & it was coming out some overflow. They drained out a little until the top of the window was visible & it's been fine since. So getting blow-by like that will tell you if it's overfilled. BMW's send their blow-by oil into the back of the air box.

Since the OP has already gotten his answer and could have gotten these same answers from all the other times this thread has been done...

I actually milk the FJR of its excess oil. Since it obviously makes oil and high quality oil at that, I drain that oil out and put it in a Mobil 1 container. Every few hundred miles I get out a few ounces. By the time the 4k oil change interval is up I have almost two quarts. After 8k miles I will have enough to change my oil for free. Since I am pouring it out of a Mobil 1 bottle, it makes me feel good about myself for using expensive synthetic oil. I don't have to put in a full gallon anymore because the new oil filter is so much smaller than it used to be that I save almost a whole quart per oil change.
smile.png

Ride more, stress less. Really.

May want to fill the filter before putting it on.

Why?????

After only 1500 miles I had oil leaking down the water pump case on the right side. Took it in to the dealership & they told me they had overfilled it at the 600 mile oil change & it was coming out some overflow. They drained out a little until the top of the window was visible & it's been fine since. So getting blow-by like that will tell you if it's overfilled. BMW's send their blow-by oil into the back of the air box.

That is the FIRST I have ever hear of that happening. What glorious dealer did the work? The Casa Grande dealer is the only one that will ever touch my FJR. But fortunately I do almost all the maintenance myself.

Ride more, stress less. Really.

The fart smeller does it again!

I always put in 4 quarts, then run the engine for a minute or two to fill the filter, then fill it to almost the top of the window. Then I forget about it until the next change or until the low oil light comes on.
That's what I did, too. I am not worried about the "full window", per se, just wondrin' what the experience of others has been. No leaks, no evidence of coolant in the oil, no foaming or evidence that the crankshaft is contacting the oil directly in the 1400 miles since the oil change.....Im a ridin' on.

Thanks to all

so much for getting the job done correctley at the dealer. right?

I fill the filter and then allow the filter to absorb the oil a couple of times. Goes on without leaking any oil. Why?? Eliminates the brief period of time on initial start-up where there is nearly zero oil pressure while the filter fills. I figure that is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.