Model Aircraft Show... Then What?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
On Friday afternoon, Sept.05, I'm playing hooky from work and am heading down to Sanford Maine with a BMW-riding friend to attend a radio-controlled model aircraft show. https://www.usairmeet.com/ This is one of the biggest events of its sort in the East (Sponsored by Horizon Hobby). Large scale , turbine jets, helicopters etc. (have a look at the link). Hotel Friday, hang out at the airfield all day Saturday and hotel it again Saturday night.

Head home on Sunday for another work week or...?

Perhaps I'll let the Beemer find his own way home on Sunday. Let's see, a mere 10 hours From Sanford will get me to Front Royal. Maybe a couple days doing Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge down to Smokey Mountain NP. Bringing camping gear...

OK, heading back home from SMNP. I have never done any riding on the North side of the Parkway and it seems that there are a number of National Forests that might be worth seeing along the way - I intend to stay off the main highways and camp along the way. In terms of route planning, I'm OK to the point where I exit Smokey Mtn.

Which of the National Forest regions are going to make the best ride? (The route has to be semi-direct if I am going to get back by the following Sunday.) Daniel Boone? George Washington? Monongahela? Allegheny? Lots of other smaller ones too! Might swing through Catskills and/or Adirondacks and, of course, the Greens and Whites as I get back into more familiar territory.

I would appreciate suggestions where I will find the most scenic areas, best camping, best roads etc. I will be travelling by myself this trip (unless anyone is interested in doing this ride too and would like to get together). Not after a twisty experience; just a week or so of relaxation for what may be my last major bike trip of the season. My 2IC at work is going to be off for maybe 4 weeks from Sept 18 onward (abdominal surgery) so there is a good chance that there won't be any more camping excursions for me unless the Northeast autumn is warmer than usual.

Ideas?

Suggestions?

Anyone wanna join me for all or part?

Thanks

Ross

I used to live in Sanford(Springvale actually). Would love to see that show. Some of those RC planes are pretty impressive.

Trip is looking less likely. Rain and thunderstorms for Saturday in Sanford. Not an issue for riding to and from but a model aircraft show in the rain isn't much fun. This will probably delay (or cancel) my Blue Ridge trip. Due to work commitments, I wouldn't be able to go until middle of next month. Days will be getting short and the nights cool for tenting. Have to avoid leaf-peeping season as well...

Hey Ross! I would LOVE to go to that show - just don't know if I can swing it. Horizon Hobbies put their first one on 2 years ago and it was a HUGE success. Are you a flyer? I've been flying RC since I was in my 20's.

Hey Ross! I would LOVE to go to that show - just don't know if I can swing it. Horizon Hobbies put their first one on 2 years ago and it was a HUGE success. Are you a flyer? I've been flying RC since I was in my 20's.
Umm, perhaps a time warp?

On Friday afternoon, Sept.05 (2014), I'm playing hooky from work and am heading down to Sanford Maine with a BMW-riding friend to attend a radio-controlled model aircraft show.
Perhaps 'Guy means to make the show on Sept, 04 2015 if they put on the show again.

hmmm, I'll have to ask my buddy who owns a couple of Bob Violet Jets if he's attending. Maybe an excuse for me to show!

Umm, perhaps a time warp?

On Friday afternoon, Sept.05 (2014), I'm playing hooky from work and am heading down to Sanford Maine with a BMW-riding friend to attend a radio-controlled model aircraft show.
Perhaps 'Guy means to make the show on Sept, 04 2015 if they put on the show again.
Blame it on the snow...or booze

Last edited by a moderator:
Multi-tasking here, albeit not very well. Didn't see the date. Ha!
Here is a link to the events in 2015 that Horizon Hobbies is sponsoring. If you get a change, check an event out to see some amazing technology and incredible flying skills!

https://www.horizonhobby.com/media/rc-roadtrip/
The show was great. Lots of jets and lost of fantastic flyers from all over. It was a huge event plus a great venue. I don't know whether they are running it again next year or not.

I was into radio controlled model aircraft for a number of years but haven't done much in the last 6-8 years. Still interested and still have all my stuff. Mostly glow engines and fairly small planes. Some aerobatics and float flying. Motorcycling is pretty heavy competition for my time when the weather is nice.

Motorcycling is pretty heavy competition for my time when the weather is nice.

Same here with time. I've built a boat and a stadium truck. Was fun to race the full size boats on the lake and pass them with my two foot model boat
smile.png

Let us know if it comes up again, I missed last years.

Last edited by a moderator: