FJR Power outlet Design failure?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rom1

Reaction score
I purchased my first FJR last saturday without a test drive and I simply find the bike amazing! yet it is not my first bike. One detail surprised me: is the way the power outlet in the left side box was designed. Once you connect a small USB plug there is not enough room to connect a smart phone - the box is either not deep or wide enough! I have a Galaxy S4 phone.

Do other owners face the same problem? did anyone came up with an easy fix beside connecting another wire from the battery?

Thanks all

The "glove" box on the FJR is largely useless, except for small objects. The power outlet is only good for low current usage.. I believe it has a 3 amp fuse. Don't try to use it for a tire pump, for example. You can run a USB cable, with appropriate plug, to a location outside the box (your pocket?). Most people add a fuse block located under the seat or other location wired to the battery. They then run electrical back to the front for whatever purpose. (GPS, radar detector. The list is endless.) Many add Powerlet or similar to other locations for specific purposes... Heated clothing, tire pump, battery tender, etc. etc. The FJR is an awesome machine...but not a Gold Wing or BMW.. But then, the cost is MUCH less also... Adding electrical is not the big of a deal and you can have it "your way"! Enjoy.

This forum has all the answers....somewhere AND someone might even attempt to answer a silly NWBE question... Another good resource is the FJR Owners on Face Book... Subject to the limitations that are Facebook! Lots of pictures however and easier to use.

Thanks for the answers! My question was really focussing on why placing the outlet in such limited space. I owned 8 bikes which 2 of them were BMW both bike had the outlet placed at a much more convenient location involving a much simpler and cheaper design - So I was wondering what Yamaha eng. were trying to achieve with this feature on the FjR.

Beside this minor detail, the bike is fantastic and I could not have made a better decision ( The new 2014 black Concours was just beside the FJR in the showroom and the sales guy was pushing for it - he was not able to convince me!).

Again thanks

Rom1

I run a cable from the box to my tank bag. The cover closes and latches over the cable without damaging and I have never had any water get in. And believe me, I have tested that!

I wouldn't call it a design failure but maybe a "feature" with limited usefulness. Low current capacity and small physical space. I think the intention was to provide a DC source for running GPS and radar detectors etc. and charging devices such as iPods. I'm pretty sure the design predates the current generation of larger smart phones. My Galaxy S4 doesn't come close to fitting unless I leave the lid open. On a longer trip, I sometimes use it to charge an auxiliary 9000 mA.hr battery that can be used to charge phone/tablet/Bluetooth speaker etc. at a campsite. Otherwise, like Intech, I'll run the cable to my tankbag (or pocket) to top up the phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fairing simply doesn't have the design space (IMO) for a large pocket like on a Wing. It seems to me they worked with what they had.

I run Powerlets and then feed a powered tank bag from the socket in the upper left fairing.

https://www.fjr-tips.org/mods/jp/jp.html

I "electrified" the tank bag using bulkhead fittings and other bits also from Jastek.

https://www.powerlet.com/shop-by-product/luggage-electrix/LUGTRIX

Since the front fairing pocket is very easy to compromise by even a slightly determined attacker, I'd not want to trust anything to its safekeeping anyway. I can pop the tank bag in a couple of seconds and take it with me.

I can get my iPhone charger, a Mini Mag LED lite and a small metal wallet in which I store the registration , insurance card and some emergency cash. I run the charger cable to my tank bag when in use. I 'd prefer the outlet were exterior to the box, but it works.

Great Thanks all for your feedbacks! Tomorrow I took the day off for my first all day ride with FJR: 800-900km in the US Adirondacks.

Cheers

The small storage box is handy, but the power outlet seems to be an afterthought and really should not have been installed inside the box. I guess the idea was that you could stick your phone in the box to charge it, but phones have gotten too large for that and the box gets hot inside. You'll do much better by adding the type of receptacle you prefer in a place that is more convenient for you, and use wires and a fuse that are heavy enough to carry the amps required by a small air compressor.