2600 mile trip for the 05

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yroundrdn

Reaction score
Taking the Gen 1 on her first long trip. I bought the bike about 15 months ago. It had sat for a loooooong time and only accumulated 10k miles. I've been able to double that but its been tough with work and a take-home ride these days.

Soooo, when the wife's parents moved to the middle of Idaho.... I thought what better way to go visit and start getting some miles on this poor neglected stallion. And the best part is she is riding up there with me!

The trip will be 1296 miles each way. Got some great advice from forum members in selecting the route and was able to prep the bike. Bike prep included Warchild's "blow/flush" cooling system, new front pads, new rear tire, axle shaft removal and grease, oil change and a complete check of all electrical and mechanical components. ...oh ya, and I installed and wired a GPS I had laying around.

The dealership now offers a liquid spin balance which works as stop leak when you get a puncture. I was skeptical but removed the weights on the front, installed it and had it put in the back tire when they installed it. Test rides show it to be balanced perfectly so far but haven't taken it over 100 yet.

Still hope to flush the brake and clutch fluid but time is not looking good at this point.

bike is ready as ever... time to go have fun.

Just wanted to say thanks to a great forum where I found the help for the route and all the bike prep I could need.

but haven't taken it over 100 yet.
Sure, sure, I believe that.
rolleyes.gif

Enjoy the trip. I would think this time of year you would need heated gear?

A simple drain and refill of the cooling system should be sufficient and you have to do it anyway when you do the valve check (you are almost due). I probably would have waited...

I am not a fan of adding goo to the tires for balance or puncture protection but maybe that's just me. Regular balance works and you don't have an ungodly mess when you change tires the next time.

If the hydraulics haven't been done, you should do them. The first time should take less than an hour start-to-finish; even without a vacuum system or Speedbleeders. I'm surprised you needed new brake pads at only 20,000 miles.

Brake pads:

My Gen1 '05 had uneven wear on the front pads at 25k. I swapped them left to right and put em back in. At 40k they've worn themselves back to being straight and even and doing fine. Why did you have to replace yours so soon?

I trust you've replaced your rear pumpkin oil. It only takes a couple minutes. Brake fluid: do not run that bike 2-up through the mountains where the brakes might get good and hot with old fluid... especially if it just might be 9 years old. Even if you only change out the front, it's worth the time. We're talking about 15 minutes here. I assume you know how to do it, it's super simple.

You might want to read up on Brake Fluid 101 here: CLICKY

Gary

darksider #44

Yroundrdn

I suggest you check on weather conditions especially here in Idaho.

Temps are up and down at this time. We are now starting our cooling trend.

Stay safe on your trip and enjoy every mile.

A brake fluid flush and fill does not take but 30 minutes on that bike. Keep in mind the failure of ABS on the Gen I bikes is nearly always associated with fluid neglect. It's cheap insurance just to do the work.

With all respect to Warchild's "blow job" coolant change, it sucks that he used OAT coolant. Get back to the green stuff ASAP.

Can I have your old brake pads? I suspect they might have a lot of life left.

Okay, glad you guys pushed the fluid flush. Took only a 1/2 hour for brakes and clutch. The old fluid was not too bad buy I really noticed a difference and am glad I did it now.

As for the coolant, ya I stuck with the green, it's not a GM. And brakes, well looks like I threw away some good money but I have had pads crack from heat in the past and its something I do every couple years any way. And the rear pumpkin...done last oil change. I think we're good.

Now just a day of work and time to hit the road! Thanks again for all the good advice, will post pics and progress.

Good job! The bike will do 2500 miles without a second thought, and then do it again as long as the tires are good.

(I'll still take your old brake pads)
tonguesmiley.gif

Ok...my thoughts, rear pumpkin fluid, lube the drive shaft u-joint, and rear splines, throttle body sync, brake fluid flush, clean and grease rear dog bones and shock mounts, check and inspect and lube steeing head bearings...and then ENJOY!

2654 miles! Bike ran perfect, even up to 120 and for hours between 80-90. Great machine, now time to get all bugs off it.

2654 miles! Bike ran perfect, even up to 120 and for hours between 80-90. Great machine, now time to get all bugs off it.
This is why five of the top six Iron Butt finishers were on '05 and '06 FJRs. 120? 80-90 for hours? Phsst!

Glad your trip was good. Ya got good weather, too. I love riding in Idaho.

120? 80-90 for hours? Phsst!
Or 120+ for 20-24 hours.....on private test tracks I've heard.
whistle.gif

Or Prudhoe Bay to the tip of Florida in 86 hours....I know.

Them Bass Bote Blues are nearly bulletproof. Just keep the front relay arm bearings greased.