Price on 2014 ES - Good or more wiggle room?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverHound

Reaction score
I have been contemplating making the move to a 2014 ES recently and have contacted several dealers within 2 hours of my home none of which have an ES on the floor but all have offered to find me one. Today I received an e-mail from one who stated he could get one for me in about a week and the price exclusive of tax and tags would be $14,799.00. I have searched the forum first and this seems to be a decent offer but I am somewhat leery of it being their initial offer which usually means there is a little more wiggle room in their price. Before I try and beat them down more or get them to throw in the ESP plan or whatnot I figured it would be wise to poll the collective here. So what say you?

My current '08 has been rock solid and I've owned it longer than any previous bike but the '14 ES seems like it has enough enhancements over mine that I can justify in my mind making the move. Also I can move some of my favorite things from my old one over to the new like the Russell Seat and the 2Bros exhaust so even a bigger win!

Input appreciated.

That is a great price. Best I've seen is $15,100. Make sure that truly includes all fees except tax and title then you should pull the trigger! I went from a 2008 to my 2014 and although similar, there is substantial difference.

I have been contemplating making the move to a 2014 ES recently and have contacted several dealers within 2 hours of my home none of which have an ES on the floor but all have offered to find me one. Today I received an e-mail from one who stated he could get one for me in about a week and the price exclusive of tax and tags would be $14,799.00. I have searched the forum first and this seems to be a decent offer but I am somewhat leery of it being their initial offer which usually means there is a little more wiggle room in their price. Before I try and beat them down more or get them to throw in the ESP plan or whatnot I figured it would be wise to poll the collective here. So what say you?
My current '08 has been rock solid and I've owned it longer than any previous bike but the '14 ES seems like it has enough enhancements over mine that I can justify in my mind making the move. Also I can move some of my favorite things from my old one over to the new like the Russell Seat and the 2Bros exhaust so even a bigger win!

Input appreciated.

I'm in the same position except I sold my 08 a few years ago. I have no idea where to start the bidding but based on this thread the first price was way high. Anyone know what invoice is on the 14 ES? Seems like I had to pay for it last time from a site but I can't locate that site now. If i recall there was about 1200 between invoice and retail in 08.

Last edited by a moderator:
If there are no hidden fees that is a great deal and you should jump on it.

And I guarantee you will absolutely love the ES!

The price is good in my book and is just a little better than what I paid three weeks ago. Just pay them what ever they want and you won't be sorry.
fool.gif

Back when I bought my '04 the dealer offered a multiplier of 0.8571.

0.8571 x 16,890 = $14,476

-- all fees included except sales tax and title.

Considering that the ES is a little hard to come by, the price is good. Just make sure they don't tack on delivery or prep fees. I paid about $15200 in Nov. for serial # 011. I went from my 2006 A to the ES and I am still in awe of the refinements on the 2014. What dealers are you looking at in Pa.?

Considering that the ES is a little hard to come by, the price is good. Just make sure they don't tack on delivery or prep fees. I paid about $15200 in Nov. for serial # 011. I went from my 2006 A to the ES and I am still in awe of the refinements on the 2014. What dealers are you looking at in Pa.?
Very similar to me! I went from a '08 to my ES #15 in November for the same price!

Very similar to me! I went from a '08 to my ES #15 in November for the same price!
I went from an 03' tomy ES #13 in December and paid $15200 also

Great price as long as there aren't any hidden fees. Never hurts to dicker but I wouldn't walk away if this is their bottom line and its the bike you want. Rather than look for a markdown on the price, I would try to negotiate some extras. Extended warranty for sure, topbox (if you want the OEM), OEM sliders, tank pad, tank bag etc. If they don't bite, they might be willing to throw in (or seriously discount) some gear (Jacket, boots, helmet etc.). You could always get them to throw in the 600 mile service (and perhaps later services) - doesn't cost them much and gives them a chance to introduce you to their service dept (if you trust them). They're not going to refuse the sale if you ask but don't get your shorts in a knot if they say no.

Good luck with it!

FYI I'm in the process of listing my 2013 for sale in Northern NJ its got 6000 miles, I'm the original owner and its loaded with goodies and is in perfect condition. I'll be listing it in the classified here when I return from vacation next week with pictures of the bike and all the add ons. I'm pricing it to sell quickly at $11000 FIRM!!!

If anyone's interested in the meantime you can contact me at [email protected]

Thanks to everyone for their input. I pulled the trigger and bike is on order. Tried to dicker a little (really not my most genuine effort) but felt from the feedback that the price was already pretty good so maybe when I go down to sign the papers I can get some love with the YES otherwise I'll just get that from D&H. He did offer a 10% discount on any and all accessories but I think they probably do that for everyone. There were no additional or hidden fees. $14,799 plus tax (6% in PA) and tags/title/registration $167.00. New ES coming from the NJ warehouse with that new bike smell.

Dealer is Ray's Yamaha Polaris Victory in Reading PA. Interestingly I contacted about 6 dealers. Some never got back to me, one said he didn't have one but maybe would get one in a month or so, Ray's (Mike the owner) sent me an e-mail the next day, apologized for the delay in responding, stated the price right up front, offered for me to come down and ride a '13 FJR he had in stock (he didn't know I already had one) and called right back when I sent him another e-mail to verify the price. So he's the winner of my business.

Looking forward to getting the bike and start swapping things from my '08. Will probably be putting that one up for sale in the spring depending on how quickly I can decommission some of the farkles and return it to mostly stock condition.

Congrats. Rays Yamaha has been around since I'm a kid. The first bike I ever rode was an 80 from Rays in the 70s that a friend of mine had. Great price. I used Montgomeryville Cycle for both of my fjrs. They've always treated me well.

Holy cow GREAT deal! I got the bike at the same point but around here they are all $500-$1000 in dealer fees on top! Smokin!

Kaelaria;

Had I been in your position I would have ordered from D&H and ridden to Alabama to get the machine - and I'd have bought the YES at the same time. Dealers (and the state government) in Florida would seem to believe that the locals are gullible and have deep pockets.

If anyone is still thinking,this may help your decision to buy, my local dealer, Hillview Motorsports ( www.hillviewmotorsports.com ) shows the ES at $14,379.