Thoughts after the first month of owning.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillbilly1

Reaction score
I should have gotten an FJR sooner. Was worried that giving up a sport bike was a mistake.

Nope not at all.

Just rode double about a hundred miles through severe storms in the dark. Just cruised right through without any issues.

Had the wife remembered her rain suit it could have been better but that's not a Yamaha problem.

WHAT A PAIN:

Sport bikes. We read about em in the magazines. What amazing performance when ya twist the throttle. However, when you put the magazine down, quit drooling on how the thing looks, and get on one: it's a VERY different story. It begins with a pain in your wallet. Depreciation is awful because high miles and sport bikes don't play well together. Then there's the pain in the neck. More than 20 minutes on just about any sport bike gives me a stiff neck: think I'm the only one? Ever see a sport biker riding along with one hand on the handlebars, and his shoulders twisted so he can sit up a little while riding? Gee, wonder why??? Then there's the pain in the but of oiling the chain and constantly wiping oil off everything. Good grief. Then there's the pain in the wrists. Why can't somebody put adjustable handlebars on them things? Did I mention a massive pain in your passenger's bum? Just ask one of those 105 lb. sportbiker girlfriends how she likes sitting on that thing. "Mmmm, about as much as wearing 5 inch heels." Both are just about the lame level of worthless.

Of course, in all fairness, the FJR can be a pain too. It's a pain when guys walk up to me to ask me how I like it all the time. It's a pain when I can't get outa the gas station in time because I gotta stand there forever trying to fill that monster gas tank, and then another feller wants to ask about how that car tire handles. It's a pain when I accidentally grab too much throttle and the dumb thing about rips my arms outa da sockets. It's a pain when I head over to Daytona and I'm sitting in the middle of 40 Harleys and I have to keep lookin at the tach to make sure it's runnin'. And last, it's a pain that they run forever. How ya sposed to talk yerself inta gettin' a new one when the old one won't "wear out?"

I still stand in the garage every once in a while and stare at it. I'm fortunate to own one. What a wonderful PAIN to have.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Very well said Gary. My last Yamaha was a 2 stroke street bike.

If them Japanese engineers could just make the FJR smell like Castrol bean oil it would be perfect.

Hillbilly1 I have to agree with you, went from "standard" motorcycle to sport bike to cruiser (H-D touring) and now to FJR ... why didn't I get one earlier???

Welcome to the club! These FJRs are simply amazing bikes. On FJR #2 myself.

This year I have had the good fortune of owning both a FJR and a FZ1 at the same time. The FZ1 is my solo bike and the FJR is my long distance/overnight/2up bike.

Handling wise the FZ1 is faster and leans a little bit further but FJR is very close not to mention a great deal more comfortable

Anyhow, I've found this to be a good mix of getting the best of both worlds or at least pretty close. The FZ1 is comfortable for a 500+ mile ride and the FJR is comfortable on a Saddle Sore with it's Russell Seat :)

I am coming in from a differnt direction, Having owned Harley Davidsons for over 36 years. But with the condition of my body...happen to have some metal in my back, I've had to find something else to ride or quit riding all together. Just could'nt give up the riding.....! I wish I'd had done this earlier as well. Good luck on your bike and ride safe.<br /><br />Rexford

Very well said Gary. My last Yamaha was a 2 stroke street bike.If them Japanese engineers could just make the FJR smell like Castrol bean oil it would be perfect.
Did you say "2 stroke street bike?" Dude, you must be like... older than dirt. Come to think of it, welcome to the club.

The engineers: guess they decided to go a different route. They made the zing-dinger sound like a symphony. Isn't it amazing - what a major change a valve or two can make?

Gary

darksider #44

I still stand in the garage every once in a while and stare at it. I'm fortunate to own one. What a wonderful PAIN to have.
Gary

darksider #44
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that still does that after years of ownership. I as well think I am very lucky to own one and damn proud of it!!
Deang:

You still do this after YEARS of ownership? You mean the newness hasn't worn off? What's wrong with you, man? Haven't you been reading this forum? Seems like everybody's jumping ship 'n buyin' Gen 3s. Thought I was the only oddball still lovin' my old Gen 1. I have just about no interest in a new Gen 3. Old bess is paid off, running fine and all done depreciating.

Gary

darksider #44

On my third FJR and must confess I have always gone into the garage from time to time, uncovered the ride and just stood there thinking how beautiful it looks and how well it treats me on the road. I further confess, I did the same drill with the BMW but with a tad bit less adulation!!

Side note, one of my riding buds just bought a 2015 1300A after having to replace the final drive twice on his 2005 BMW R1200RT.

Art,

Ha, isn't that typical? My buddy's K1200LT beemer had the same issue, he had to replace his final drive. I've often wondered why this is. It's not that BMW doesn't know HOW to build quality equipment. But quite obviously, by comparison, Yamaha does. Very, very rare to hear of an FJR with pumpkin trouble. And here's the clincher: the FJR puts down more power. You'd think that this would make it a more likely bike to have trouble, if all things were equal. But then isn't that the point?

The FJR has no equal.

Gary

darksider #44

Gary, FWIW, I still love my bike too. Every time I get on it I smile. I've had it just over 7 years now. The longest I ever had a bike before that was my VT that I had for 3. When I traded that in for my FJR, I was ready for a change. This FJR still gets my attention, and even with all the bikes I'd also like to have, I don't think any of them can replace what this bike does.

That to me is amazing!

Been a member here since 2005 and finally spent my first summer with an Fjr. I rcently rode a lot of Newfoundland coastline... some wind, rain, not a car in sight for often 10-15 minutes. Couldnt have chosen a better bike to do it on.

Gary, FWIW, I still love my bike too. Every time I get on it I smile. I've had it just over 7 years now. The longest I ever had a bike before that was my VT that I had for 3. When I traded that in for my FJR, I was ready for a change. This FJR still gets my attention, and even with all the bikes I'd also like to have, I don't think any of them can replace what this bike does.
That to me is amazing!
Z,

I only got to see it for a couple moments while we were standing in the garage, but it is indeed a beautiful machine. Love that color.

And here's the clincher: sitting on something that beautiful even makes YOU look good, AJ !!!!

Gary

Funny thing, the adirondack nationals car show is in lake George this weekend, I pulled up behind one of these $100,000 hot rods and got a great look at my FJR in its mirror finish, it is a beautiful bike. I've never seen it that well from that vantage point.

Funny thing, the adirondack nationals car show is in lake George this weekend, I pulled up behind one of these $100,000 hot rods and got a great look at my FJR in its mirror finish, it is a beautiful bike. I've never seen it that well from that vantage point.
And just think: it's pretty likely that Mr. 100k couldn't even shine your shoes in a drag race...

I'd bet he pays more in insurance in a year than what I paid to buy my FJR. Owning stuff like that never has held much of an attraction for me. Spending big money on cars or houses... no thanks. Just not my thing. Yeah, old classic cars are way cool, but not for me. Way too much money. And for most of us, since money doesn't grow on trees, the FJR shines.

Gary

darksider #44