Food joint suggestions?; Memphis & Nashville

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Top_Speed1

Panama Canal Crosser
Reaction score
Looking for some good, fresh, and made from scratch eating places in both Memphis & Nashville.

So far for Memphis (BBQ), I've got a must do: Cozy Corner Restaurant it's a true dive (and also featured on Diners, Drive-ins & Dives), but my friend says it's a must do BBQ when in town.

Any others? (does not have to be BBQ)

Thanks
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Every time I visit the Memphis area I always make a point of going to the Germantown Commissary (https://www.commissarybbq.com/). They are on the south-east side of Memphis. It might be funny name for a BBQ joint, but it is WELL worth the effort. Small place that's been there a long time, right on the RR tracks. Some of the best ribs you can eat and the homemade deserts are KILLER (including a wonderful coconut cream pie). Their slogan is "BBQ so good you'll slap yo momma" . Look 'em up.

In Nashville, it depends what you're in the mood for. Here are a few of my favorites. Some are close to downtown, others are a few miles out.

Thai:

The Smiling Elephant - 2213 8th Ave S, Nashville, TN 37204

- This is not your typical, Americanized Thai food. This is fresh made, fresh tasting, and DELICIOUS. If you want the best Americanized Thai food in Nashville, try

Golden Thai - 73 White Bridge Rd #107, Nashville, TN 37205

- This is more what Americans think of when they think Thai. But they do it well and consistently. Tell 'em Robert sent you. Yea, I eat there that much.

Turkish/Mediterranean:

Anatolia - 48 White Bridge Rd, Nashville, TN 37205

- Right across the street from Golden Thai. They have great Turkish fare and some of the best baklava in town.

BBQ:

There are a few good ones in the Nashville area:

Jacks - on Broadway between 4th and 5th Ave

- This is a pretty decent stuff. Some Memphis BBQ snobs won't like it, but it's really a pretty good "every man's BBQ," if you ask me.

Martin's BBQ - 7238 Nolensville Road

- Another pretty good one. Always a line, just like Jack's.

Papa Turney's BBQ - 5851D Old Hickory Blvd (Follow the signs for the Marina and go all the way down by the water)

- If you're there on a Saturday night, go down to Papa Turney's and enjoy the Blues Jam. It always has some grade A talent playing. You will NOT be disappointed. And Mama Turney is famous for her pies, which are sold in grocery stores throughout the area. The Turneys are as nice as anyone you'll ever meet, too.

Italian:

Coco's - 411 51st Ave N, Nashville, TN 37209

This place is unique in the Nashville area. It's half Italian grocery, half restaurant. They have outstanding meatballs, pretty good pizzas, and their brunch is off the chain. Their Italian Sweet Toast, which is like French toast made with a big fat slice of Pannetone is my favorite. They also have several specialty coffees that are pretty tasty.

High end:

The Palm - right across from Bridgestone Arena on 5th Ave. South

- I know, it's a "chain," but I haven't found a place with better cheesecake. And of course the food and service are always excellent.

I think that list ought to get you through a night or two in the Nashville area.

+1 on Germantown Commissary. I grew up right around the corner from there.