FNG's first week with the 2014A - few things...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyguy909

Reaction score
Well excited to be back in the sport touring fold.. previously had a ST1300, then a Wing, then a HD Dyna. Before the ST- different cruiser bikes including Triumphs and Harleys. Had to admit to myself that the most fun I've had on all the bikes I've had over the years was on a ST1300.. so here I am.

The FJR is impressive so far. I have to say that Honda knows how to do the boring stuff really good, but the FJR is ... much more fun shall we say. Wow, what a difference after I put it in Sport mode. Feels like if I'm not careful the front wheels coming off the ground!

Anyway, I'm such an idiot... i just got done pulling the plastic cover over the battery and putting on my own trickle charge pigtail, and as I'm putting the cover back on I see the FACTORY CHARGE PLUG staring me in the face...DOH! It was tucked over to the side very neatly and I did not even notice it. Nice touch by Yamaha... not to mention the included luggage for the side bags.

The seat was in the low position when I picked it up and I immediately noticed the tendency to slide into the tank. Had the same issue on the ST, so I pulled the seat to try to do what I did there - put the front of the seat in the high position and the rear in the low. Worked great - easier to accomplish than on the Honda and solved the issue.

Did some quick investigation and just ordered the Yamaha touring windshield. It was that or the CalSci, hopefully I made the right decision.

Anyway, I'm really happy with the bike so far. My wife still has her BMW F800ST which she was smart enough not to sell when I sold my ST. Looking forward to some spirited rides this weekend.

Nice touch adding the pig tail for 2014. My biggest whiny gripe on my 2013 was the whole battery access fiasco. Glad to see they got it sorted out!

I like the Yamaha touring windscreen but it blocks a little too much wind in the hot weather. It's much nicer looking than what Cee Bailey makes don't know about the cal-sci.

I must have missed it. Where is the pig tail for battery tender on the '14. I added one but sure a hell did not see one already attached to the battery.

I'm intrigued by the seat adjustment cited by flyguy909. I too notice when you put the seat in the low position it tends to cause one to migrate forward and jam the package into the tank!!

If you stand on the right side of the bike looking down at the battery cover, look at the left lower side of the cover. My plug was right there between the cover and the frame.

The seat thing was common practice on the ST1300 but was way harder to do - after putting the seat in the high position in front you had to force it into the low position in back by bending the seat pan... ugly but it worked.

By comparison, the FJR seat design lets you use either position in the front or back... piece of cake!

Factory charge plug? Got a picture of it? In my case the dealer put it in, but it isn't a factory item.

Seat settings? I don't find it presses me forward - didn't on the last one either, then they changed almost nothing aft of the triple T.

Battery access fiasco? Has something changed? I had it apart the other day and aside from the access panel redesign it sure seems like my Gen-II.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is not a factory pigtail installed. That must have been installed by your dealer.

You know, maybe it was installed by the dealer, probably not for my sake though. Sorry to get everyone's hopes up.
fool.gif

i guess there was a battery access fiasco with the early 2013's that they redesigned with the later 13's and 14's.

You know, maybe it was installed by the dealer, probably not for my sake though. Sorry to get everyone's hopes up.
fool.gif

i guess there was a battery access fiasco with the early 2013's that they redesigned with the later 13's and 14's.
Yes, you can say that! Now it only requires the removal of 2 screws, 2 pop-fasteners and about 30 sec.
smile.png

My dealer was nice enough to install a pig tail as he thought it was pretty difficult to access it (Thank you HHP!!), but that was a 2013. Maybe your dealer did the same, not knowing or by habit thinking the 2014 was the same.

Mine is a 2014ES and had a pigtail installed when I got it.

...Ben...

Last edited by a moderator:
My ES also had a pigtail already installed. The dealer did not mention adding it so I assumed they all came with them. As Flyguy mentioned, if you're on the right side of the bike, mine was tucked between the gas tank and the right cowling. I could see it just by looking down at the frame next to the right side of the tank. If your battery cover is off, you will obviously know if one is already installed if the terminals are hooked to your battery or not. It's pretty strange that they would include them with some & not others. Since some of us received them & some didn't, my assumption would be that Yamaha sends them with all the bikes & then some dealers choose not to install them at assembly & maybe try to sell them for the extra dough.

FJRs DO NOT come with the battery pigtail from the factory. It is however, somewhat common practice for a dealer to install one as they are hooking up the battery during initial prep.

Well excited to be back in the sport touring fold.. previously had a ST1300... Had to admit to myself that the most fun I've had on all the bikes I've had over the years was on a ST1300...
The FJR is impressive so far. I have to say that Honda knows how to do the boring stuff really good, but the FJR is ... much more fun shall we say. Wow, what a difference after I put it in Sport mode. Feels like if I'm not careful the front wheels coming off the ground!

not to mention the included luggage for the side bags.

Had the same issue on the ST, so I pulled the seat to try to do what I did there - put the front of the seat in the high position and the rear in the low. Worked great - easier to accomplish than on the Honda and solved the issue.

Did some quick investigation and just ordered the Yamaha touring windshield. It was that or the CalSci, hopefully I made the right decision.
I have been over the ST/FJR comparison so many times but the best way I found to explain it is:

"The ST1300 is like a best friend, always willing to do whatever you want, when you want. Go fast, go slow, drag a peg, cruise slowly, the ST always wants to do whatever you want to do. But the FJR, the FJR is totally different. The FJR is like a little devil riding on your shoulder, always encouraging you to go faster, lean farther, just a few more RPMs... The FJR tries to get you in trouble."

When you do your first oil change on the FJR you will be completely over your love for the ST1300.

The real fix for the seat is just the same as on the ST1300. Get a custom seat built to YOUR measurements. A Russell Day Long, a Laam Custom, or perhaps one of the Mayer brothers, any of the better custom seat builders will make the whole riding experience better in every way.

Windshields are such a personal item that no one can tell you what you should do here. I like the Cee Bailey with the reverse contour but windshield happiness usually comes from experimentation and money spending.

Congratulations on your new bike, if you liked your ST1300 you will love the FJR.