Back of the dragon questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillbilly1

Reaction score
Looks like the weather, the stars, and vacation have all come together finally. Tomorrow I am leaving out of here early to check things out in Va.

Anyone know of any must ride roads from I81 north? Planning on staying on 16 to Beckley then slabbing it home.

Probably going to be a fast ride through type of day.

We rode the Back of the Dragon a few weeks ago. Since you say it's a fast ride through you might not be interest, but we did a great side ride.

We left Tazewell and went east to Burke's Garden. 623 getting into the valley is pretty curvy but in the valley it's just rolling hills. Not really a place you zip around. Just a nice scenic ride.

If you go into Burke's Garden a stop at the general store for food is a must.

Are you Starting in VA on 16 and riding to Beckley? If that is the case then why would you be anywhere near I81 after that? In case you are take 311 from I81 and follow it through New Castle and over Potts Mt. to Paint Bank. You can continue north on 311 all the way to 64.

w00t.gif
scare.gif
russian_roulette.gif

there are quite possibly sixty three thousand threads here about that highly overrated stretch of crap.

BTDT and stole the shirt.

The slab though Toronto offers just as many sights in the same time it takes to run it.

Gawd dam tourist trap is all it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
w00t.gif
scare.gif
russian_roulette.gif

there are quite possibly sixty three thousand threads here about that highly overrated stretch of crap.

BTDT and stole the shirt.

The slab though Toronto offers just as many sights in the same time it takes to run it.

Gawd dam tourist trap is all it is.
You friggin' drunk ass jackwagon! Get the sheep sperm out of your eyes! BACK OF THE DRAGON. Not "Tail". jeesh!

Sorry Bob.. But anytime I read Dragon my limited brain capacity shuts down....

Just like it did the second pass on it the first time.
The 401 through Toronto is more of a challenge albeit it has no curves, the pace at times is faster and you have to be slightly more aware of your surroundings.

I would hope the "backside" presented more in the way of a challenge and sight seeing ops.

Anybody can run through 157 thousand curves at 15 mph.

My opinion here counts for naught.. But.

You haven't road shit until u have rode western US roads. No traffic jams, no tourists in motorhomes.No dumb asses doing what the traps want
Just miles an miles of smiles.

I slabbed it down 77 to Beckley. Jumped onto 16 there and worked my way through WV into Va. Time was short after getting to Marion so I slabbed it back up 81 and 77.

A lot of the coal trucks have been parked as coal is really slowing down which eased traffic.

Stopping for gas in War WV was one of my more interesting stops in a while. Two drunk fellers outside the store kept asking if I could ride that darn thing while drinking. Asked them if the store had a restroom to which they said no them pricks won't let you use it. When I came out after successfully getting permission to use the restroom the drunks yelled out Did Ya Find Somewheres Ta Piss? Makes me proud to be from WV.

This area deserves more than the quick visit that I had. Now I am starting to think about farther south towards the Blue Ridge Parkway.

I slabbed it down 77 to Beckley. Jumped onto 16 there and worked my way through WV into Va. Time was short after getting to Marion so I slabbed it back up 81 and 77. A lot of the coal trucks have been parked as coal is really slowing down which eased traffic.

Stopping for gas in War WV was one of my more interesting stops in a while. Two drunk fellers outside the store kept asking if I could ride that darn thing while drinking. Asked them if the store had a restroom to which they said no them pricks won't let you use it. When I came out after successfully getting permission to use the restroom the drunks yelled out Did Ya Find Somewheres Ta Piss? Makes me proud to be from WV.

This area deserves more than the quick visit that I had. Now I am starting to think about farther south towards the Blue Ridge Parkway.
I had a similar experience on that road through that area. I think I was in Coalwood, though. Fella wanted to take my bike for a ride, though. I told him he could if he put $10k in my hand. That made him step back!

You haven't road shit until u have rode western US roads. No traffic jams, no tourists in motorhomes.No dumb asses doing what the traps want

Not the case through Yellowstone!

I've never had problem with traffic in 3 trips up, except coming back Labor Day weekend, which is madness anywhere. Maybe it's when I go (Apr-May and Sept-Oct), but 95% of the time I have the road to myself. I usually do the Dragon once while up there, but other than that, it's back roads. One day, maybe I'll make it out west to goat country. :)

Here you go Bust!

Naw, you must be mistaken Bust. Geeze, didn't we see like 10 cars on hwy 120 when you were out here?

I am going to personally spend close to a week inspecting some of those Dragon tail back gap parkway roads myself in 10 days.
yahoo.gif

I slabbed it down 77 to Beckley. Jumped onto 16 there and worked my way through WV into Va. Time was short after getting to Marion so I slabbed it back up 81 and 77. A lot of the coal trucks have been parked as coal is really slowing down which eased traffic.

Thanks for the update. I was just going to as what else you found to ride. Weather permitting I'm going for a ride on the Back on Sunday. Charted what I hope are some interesting roads to get there and will either slab or BYP back north, depending on how I feel.

It might be out of your way, but Route 250 from WV through Va is a great ride, especially if you can do it off-weekend. I also like Route 39. Did it as a loop, 250 out and 39 back. Was a long but fun day. I hear good things about 33 as well, which might make my list this season. Going to do the end of the BYP and Skyline drive on the 27th as it is a free entry day to the national parks.

I thought that the part of the BYP north of Roanoke was one of the most fun and scenic parts, along with the southern end, while most of the middle, especially around Asheville was crowded and plain. I did notice some good roads when I was in SC, like 276 towards Ceasars head. Also some fun roads right over the boarder into NC and around Hanging Rock state park.

So many roads and so little time. Enjoy.

250 is on my list of roads. It would be pretty easy to tie in with a south east Ohio trip. Have never been on 33 east of Elkins yet. I have to agree with you on 39 and that's a good way for you to get over this way.

Have you ever been on WV Route 3? It's got some good sections from Hinton to Beckley and then west towards Hamlin WV.

Last edited by a moderator:
250 is on my list of roads. It would be pretty easy to tie in with a south east Ohio trip. Have never been on 33 east of Elkins yet. I have to agree with you on 39 and that's a good way for you to get over this way.Have you ever been on WV Route 3? It's got some good sections from Hinton to Beckley and then west towards Hamlin WV.
OK, now you have confused me again. Are you doing this intentionally? Being that you LIVE in the SEO area how are 250 and 33 roads that tie into a SEO trip?? All the roads and areas you mentioned are exceptional riding. I could give a great route to take that ties in some enjoyable back roads from your area to 33 through Seneca Rocks then north on 28 to Smoke Hole Road south on 220 to Franklin and then back on 33 to Seneca Rocks. Nice little loop.

I slabbed it down 77 to Beckley. Jumped onto 16 there and worked my way through WV into Va. Time was short after getting to Marion so I slabbed it back up 81 and 77.

A lot of the coal trucks have been parked as coal is really slowing down which eased traffic.

Thanks for the update. I was just going to as what else you found to ride. Weather permitting I'm going for a ride on the Back on Sunday. Charted what I hope are some interesting roads to get there and will either slab or BYP back north, depending on how I feel.

It might be out of your way, but Route 250 from WV through Va is a great ride, especially if you can do it off-weekend. I also like Route 39. Did it as a loop, 250 out and 39 back. Was a long but fun day. I hear good things about 33 as well, which might make my list this season. Going to do the end of the BYP and Skyline drive on the 27th as it is a free entry day to the national parks.

I thought that the part of the BYP north of Roanoke was one of the most fun and scenic parts, along with the southern end, while most of the middle, especially around Asheville was crowded and plain. I did notice some good roads when I was in SC, like 276 towards Ceasars head. Also some fun roads right over the boarder into NC and around Hanging Rock state park.

So many roads and so little time. Enjoy.
What is the BYP? The BRP? Agree with you on the opposite ends of the BRP. Best parts, although there are still some worthy sections in between. Shame they restrict you to 45 MPH!

250 is on my list of roads. It would be pretty easy to tie in with a south east Ohio trip. Have never been on 33 east of Elkins yet. I have to agree with you on 39 and that's a good way for you to get over this way.Have you ever been on WV Route 3? It's got some good sections from Hinton to Beckley and then west towards Hamlin WV.
OK, now you have confused me again. Are you doing this intentionally? Being that you LIVE in the SEO area how are 250 and 33 roads that tie into a SEO trip?? All the roads and areas you mentioned are exceptional riding. I could give a great route to take that ties in some enjoyable back roads from your area to 33 through Seneca Rocks then north on 28 to Smoke Hole Road south on 220 to Franklin and then back on 33 to Seneca Rocks. Nice little loop.
I was thinking of my end of 250. Usually I mix 26 north of Marietta to 800 south. Then north on WV 2 to Route 7 to 250.

Sorry about the confusion.

I was thinking of my end of 250. Usually I mix 26 north of Marietta to 800 south. Then north on WV 2 to Route 7 to 250.

Sorry about the confusion.
Well that end of 250 is good between Fairmont and Moundsville. 33/119 on your end isn't too bad either.