Track day for KJ & Steamer (at Watkins Glen Intl)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Top_Speed1

Panama Canal Crosser
Reaction score
Labor Day Weekend (8/27-9/1/14) was my local club Rally (campout) along with riding the legendary Watkins Glen Race Track.

I invited a few friends from VT, NJ and Canada.... All showed up to my amazement, Rick from NJ however chose the Motel method vs. our so called camping....

DSC00862_zps88c2f2ed.jpg

Not sure if most of you here would call my kinda kamping "camping"? ...like having A/C, Satellite and an LED TV Count?
wink.png

Dennis (Semius), Stan (Steamer) on phone w his g/f at home, Debbie's trying to listen in.

DSC00856_zps0d8ea0e2.jpg

Steamer (guess he's smarter than he looks!) found a weekend long dry parking spot for his ride...

My childhood buddy 'Robert' (rides a Yamaha btw) adding advice I guess.

DSC00860_zpsa1c62e10.jpg

The real campers...

DSC00859_zps5bce359d.jpg

I met Rick (an ex VT. State Trooper) and from Vermont when I was in Minneapolis last Month at the MOA Nationals. Told him about my clubs local Rally on Labor Day. We kinda left it at nothing to be honest.... surprised the crap outta me, ...he shows! Holycrap!
smile.png

Steamer is basically saying "WTF dude are you doing here!"

DSC00857_zps3da89147.jpg

He looks around and says he just can't do the camping life, and, with no room left in my camper, he heads off to town to land a room....

DSC00858_zps56ffde3a.jpg

Saturday.... Track Day!

Debbie says she's not riding and will be our photographer. OK, good with me. I get to ride the Glen 1-up
smile.png

Stan-lee is saying... "honey, you would be much more happy with me!" Steamer is a lady's man, just ask him! lol.

20140830_113255_zps49a675d8.jpg

Group hug

Rick, KJ, Stan, Deb, Robert (Yeah, Steamers put on a few el-bees this summer)

20140830_113336_zps8f141d69.jpg

I get a good luck hug from honey, I'm just excited and I wanna get rolling, Stan-lee is fiddling with his phone, and like you need that on the track?. Whats new!

20140830_113632_zps53c5ddeb.jpg

The pits man! (Pretty fugly squinting insert, I already know and I have no shame!)
wink.png

20140830_113405_zpsf3a9181a.jpg

A few warm-up laps here... I must of been bored, I see I still haven't flipped up my highway pegs yet! And yes, I'm too cheap to pay $25 for a .jpg of me....

20140830_WGI_OPT_3569.jpg

Meanwhile back on the ranch... Debbie (remember, she was supposed to be our track photographer?)... gets asked by the pace car driver to ride along with him. (of course he asked her). He already had a front passenger but said he was dropping her off at some spot loca and that he wanted Debbie up front with her. (of course he does).

20140830_121314_zps638b738d.jpg

20140830_121528_zps29e3b70d.jpg

Track notes.

Besides a 'Busa ahead of me, nothing came close to the thrust the 6 cylinder. I actually climbed up on the Blue-busa many of times, but he "knee pucked" me in the banked turns and quite easily. Impressive, but I'm not going to buy a 'Busa (as rumors had it there at the track that day). I like comfort, end of story.

A couple of Ducati's scored well in the another group. The few Harley's? well, they were all set in the back of either group and by the 1st lap at that. I think they had fun too however!... as I spoke with a lot of peeps afterwards... all with HUGE smiles. So it didn't really matter what you drove or how fast you took the track in. Smiles baby, smiles.

Note to self. The elevation changes (can) get you. Coming off the frnt straightaway at 130+mph you have to work in a sharp DOWNHILL 90-deg right hand turn ...which comes up really FAST!. The esses next up were so exciting, like a banked twisty road with no deer to worry about. Loved it!!! LOved It!!! Doing it again? well, I'll let you make that call
smile.png

Sunday

...we awake to friggen rain!
sad.png
So we start happy hour early! Steamer... looking dapper as always
wink.png

DSC00864_zps78738ddc.jpg

DSC00865_zps48a582ea.jpg

I had a 250 mi loop planned on some very familiar turf. Well, we (some of us anyway) were in a holding pattern so to say...

hynerviewdayloop_zpse0a261c3.png

Rick and Stan decide to forgo the Bloody Mary's and head out in the rain...

DSC00866_zps7c86d901.jpg

DSC00867_zpsa0fe16e9.jpg

Passing the rainy time, we were playing Jenga out in front of my camper when two young and future riders came up to introduce themselves.

DSC00872_zpscdb3fb27.jpg

The kids (so cute!) talk Debbie into trying out their kinda ride.... No ATGATT eitha!

DSC00871_zps873f7317.jpg

DSC00870_zpsbb3f9234.jpg

It wasn't all fun and games for us... being club members (I'm #506 so there's a few of us!), we had jobs appointed daily. Me being 6-4, I seem to get put on gate security a lot. Debbie being 5-4 goes along with me, hey, she's a pittbull in disguise, so don't let her looks fewl yas!

20140830_140904_zps8511352e.jpg

All in all w 1 rainy day, still a great camping weekend. We had 2 catered dinners (Sat & Sun nites) that were fabulous (culinary group from Cornell University catered the event). Mega cudos to those hard workers and all the fine cuisine (no burgers or hots!). Top shelf, and, for only $60 p/p incl camping Ahh, Yeah!. 724 (registered guests, but not us club members who donated time/shifts and were excluded in the fees and head count) all enjoyed it immensely. Plus all agreed to do it again next Labor Day Weekend.
smile.png

Many trophies and awards were given out. California couple got the farthest away award with Texas runner up. Being this was held in NY State you would think that we had the most tally of bikes at the Rally. Nope. 4th place@! WTF New Yawkers?! 3rd place went to Ohio, then PA for 2nd and Ontario (Kanada) was No.1 with 121 riders from there. Dang, those Kanadians sure love to ride and then drink heavily. Guess it's a good match at this event.

All bikes/makes were welcomed. We had a few Harley's, more so on the Triumphs and Ducati's. Saw 2 FJR's and a few Connies as well. One thing in common, nobody really cared what anyone was driving or riding. No ego's, no bashing, just a lot of FUN!

Being that I had 2 cops staying with me, I thought it was a real riot when a (hippie type) couple came up to my camper and asked if we wanted to do a joint with them. The 2 ex-cops said "smoke 'em if ya got 'em!... hey! we are off duty and don't even do that job anymore" The couple rolled on as they sensed a kinda strange response. We all had huge smiles knowing what they didn't know.

Cheers w Beers!

-KJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice report!

Lots of fun! Started to go to the Finger Lakes Rally in the late 90's, great fun there.Stayed in a motel last time there, the old back doesn't take kindly to the thermarest anymore.

Cool. I was there with Line at the end of July.

BTW, if lived close to a track like Watkins Glen, you can bet their would be a track bike in the stable.

Img_2002.jpg

Help me out here KJ How do they let you guys on the track without all the standard pre stuff done to the bike? like taping up the lights

Tom it looks to me like the so called "Track Day" that KJ participated in, are most likely parade laps. ( I could be wrong) I've seen that at the track in Indy. No special requirements for the bikes.

Tom it looks to me like the so called "Track Day" that KJ participated in, are most likely parade laps. ( I could be wrong) I've seen that at the track in Indy. No special requirements for the bikes.
That could be true Petey, but if KJ had hit 130 on the front straight as he said, then that is one fast parade.

That could be true Petey, but if KJ had hit 130 on the front straight as he said, then that is one fast parade.
Ok, he was in the advanced (parade) group...
punk.gif
just kidding...
smile.png
If this was a track event with instructers and such, then I too wonder (like Tom) why headlights weren't taped?

Thinking KJ's local club rented the track for the weekend. So made their own rules?

However they worked it, looks like Good Times.

You do know KJ, a couple of photos of Miss Debbie in a bikini could have made your Ride Report as great as Uberkul Brad's Alaska Run RR! jes' sayin' and nuff said, ese!

DSC00871_zps873f7317.jpg

Ok, he was in the advanced (parade) group...
punk.gif
just kidding...
smile.png
If this was a track event with instructers and such, then I too wonder (like Tom) why headlights weren't taped?
130 or maybe a tad more, that was a quick glance where I "thought" I was close to peek, not really concentrating on the speedo as I knew I had a sharp right 90 coming up with a downhill entering the turn. Never hit 6th either. Guess I cleaned out the cobwebs.

It was a closed event. Our BMW Club bought the track time. And as Tony (the pace car driver) told Debbie "motorcycle wise, you're the only group that does this, at least here on our track".

I learned a lot. That banking sure changes up things, and a lot of riders do not know how to enter a turn, apex up the middle and roll out coming up on throttle. Like, have they never even watched a NASCAR race evah? lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Stuff KJ. Your idea of camping is very much in line with mine. My idea of "roughing it" is having to sleep on sheets with a low thread count.

If my wife and son showed the slightest interest in any form of ATV/Side by Side adventuring I would be upgrading from our old 5th wheel to a new toy hauler. Sadly, everything is just sitting idle for now.