Fork Seal Failure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrM0t0

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Had my forks rebuilt by GP suspension about 18 months ago, maybe 12,000 miles on them so far. The left side has sprung a minor leak.

Can I get away with just replacing the one seal? Logic tells me yes, as the bushings should be OK after this short of an interval.

No issues with changing one seal, just try to match the air gap with the other leg when you are done.

You may first want to try a session with a Seal Mate tool. Last fall I had one leaky seal, then this spring the other fork joined in. I made a quick pass with a Seal Mate and it helped a lot. Finally a couple of weeks ago I turned on the radio, pulled up a chair, turned on the drop light and put some care into the effort. Now dry on both sides even after hitting a few serious New England road ridges. The cost is any where from free for a 'roll your own' to $7 to buy one.

Edit: I see Warpdrv covered it while I was typing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. +1 to what the others have said. In that little time and miles there is little chance the seal is worn or ripped. Most likely it just got a little road spooge under the lip. Clean the seal well with a seal mate (or home brewed version of one) and you'll be back in business in no time at all and with all of your own money still in your pocket.

I tried to DIY one and couldn't find any plastic stock stiff enough. I'm going to order a real Sealmate today.

Thanks for the advice gents.

I've made several from milk bottles. When you use it you need to curve it around the inner fork leg, that is where it gets its stiffness from.

I'm sure the ones that you buy are even easier to use.

I rebuilt my forks last year with new everything. Turns out that though they were both leaking (one worse than the other), when I finally got everything apart, the bushings looked really good and the seals didn't appear to have any tears or problems. I've wondered several times since then if I wasted my time. Maybe the sealmate would have been a better idea...

Gary

darksider #44

I had aftermarket seals in mine (All Balls, I think). They started leaking about the same time, enough to wet one side's brake pads. Cleaned them out with a homemade seal cleaner and got some fine dusty grit out, which helped but did not cure. Since the forks didn't have too many miles on the bushings, I carefully removed the seals only and replaced them with OEM. A heat gun is your friend as they wouldn't budge without it. Had to pierce with an awl and insert a screw, then pry on the screw. You will likely have score marks where the dust seal seats, but if you're careful this will be minimal (not a functional problem). However, if you're up there in miles on the bushings/seals, a complete rebuild wouldn't have taken much longer................

So it turned out to be a grime-caused leak.

Although I didn't get my SealMate yet, I spent 1/2 an hour on Saturday bouncing the forks HARD and wiping the upper. Probably about 10 cycles of that. Took a little ride yesterday of 135 spirited miles over some less than ideal roads to give the front a workout.

Results: Bone dry fork when I got home and no trickle down after the overnight.

Thanks again for the advice, gentlemen, I mean hooligans.

Don't be afraid to run that seal mate tool around both forks a few times when you get it....

I'm sure there is more grime and dust particles that you could get out of there to clean it up a bit more....

Certainly won't hurt anything thats for sure.... :)

Good news! Either it worked or there's no oil left.

Seriously, its surprising how far a little oil goes - as little as a few millilitres can thoroughly soak a fork leg and the brake caliper. Upon dismantling, there may be almost no visible lowering of the level in the fork.

My 05 seals have leaked several times and the seal mate fixed them right up.

I also clean the tubes with fine steel wool and wipe them down BEFORE using the seal mate to get any gunk off the tubes so the seal can seal again..

A seal went to a singles bar looking for a mate.....
flirt.gif

...and the Penguin says "Looks like you blew a seal."

His buddy, the walrus answered back, wiping his lips, "Oh, that's just ice cream!"

Groan.

Front forks been leaking for over a year now.....well, not anymore. Cleaned off the excess oil and replaced the brake pads....one of the pucks had the dirt seal hanging out....oh well. Live life on the edge....

of stupidity.