Deer season starts early in North Dakota

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abercrombie FJR

Reaction score

It was a beautiful September Sunday morning for a nice Tenere ride to teach motorcycle school yesterday. The glorious morning was shattered when a whitetail doe appeared out of nowhere in front of my Tenere. Before I had a chance to roll off the throttle, or touch a brake, I hit and killed the doe at full highway speed.

The force of the impact bent the forks, smashing the oil filter flat, and locking up the front wheel temporarily. The deer was eviscerated on impact and thrown into the ditch. Things went black for me about this time and the bike went onto the right side sliding down the highway before getting back up on its wheels and rolling to a stop 199 yards from the initial impact site.

I regained consciousness unable to determine where I was at, although I was only 8 miles from home, and the landmarks looked familiar. I also was unable to remember where I was going and felt extremely intoxicated and confused. I was bleeding from two knuckles that had worn through my leather gloves and I had incredibly intense pain in my clavicle, scapula, and ribs area. I stood up and did a groggy self patient assessment and was amazed that all my extremities still worked. I walked to the Tenere that had rolled to a stop down the road finding it on its side in the ditch. I walked around the bike, shut off the key and started to walk the 200 yards to the deer. I think it was about this time I dug my phone out and called 911. I don't remember how I was able to tell the dispatcher where I was at but I knew him and was relieved to hear a familiar voice.

Shortly afterwards some of my fellow volunteer fire fighters, and first responders arrived from a neighboring small town and began caring for me and loaded me into an ambulance when it arrived. It was a bouncy painful 20 mile ride to Fargo strapped to the back board. The ER found no fractures, two scrapped knuckles that they put three stitches in, and a subdural hematoma, and a concussion. They held me till today for observation of the Subdural hematoma and more brain scans and I was released this afternoon.

Thanks to all the people who have encourage me to ride ATGATT.

A bad event for sure, but thank goodness it was not worse for you and your family. Heal well and soon. Deer, elk and antelope are like rats here in Montana and I'm always worried about what happened to you. At least you now know there is one less critter out there trying to get you.

Did you get to keep the deer Kevin?

Damn dude, you dodged a huge bullet man. Sucks to read this but it's good yer able to post.

Holy Crap!

Glad to hear that you made it out relativity unscathed in what could have been a much worse ending. I am sure they are keeping a close eye on the eye on the sub dural. Glad to hear that the first responders are friends who, no doubt, took extra good care of you. Take your time healing up and don't push too hard until you get to OK from the docs.

ATGATT rules!

glad you ended up with no serious long term injuries. That tenere fared well for a higher speed full impact.

Congrats on being out of the hospital and home! ATGATT is the only way to ride.

I've notice a big up tick in the forest rats about a month ago.

Did you take photos of your gear? Is there a way to incorporate you experience in teaching at motorcycle school? Seems one way to impact new riders to get in the mind set of ATGATT

Last edited by a moderator:
Very sorry that i heard this Kevin,the best wishes for a quick recovery!

Holy shit Kevin! Glad you are mostly OK. Take the time to heal.ATGATT! Can't be emphasized enough. Damn deer!

Kevin, that really sucks. Glad to hear that you fared better than the deer. Take care, and heal quick.

Oh...by the way...Happy Birthday!!! Hope you have a good day.

Dang. I'm glad to hear you'll be ok. A month ago some friends and I were riding when a dog ran out into the road. My friend Jim totaled his VStrom and killed the dog but walked away with only a few scrapes and bruises thanks to ATGATT.

Real glad to hear you weren't seriously injured or worse, though concussions can have long term effects (BTDT). Forest rats have become numerous enough in this area to be real pests and when the rutting season arrives in a few months, they will become an even bigger danger. Hope you heal quickly and get your bike back on the road.

Good to hear it wasn't any worse, and that the gear did it's job!

So glad to hear you are okay Kevin. Hope you're still able to make NAFO, if you do, plan on taking my Triumph for a little test ride.
smile.png

Congrats on being out of the hospital and home! ATGATT is the only way to ride.
I've notice a big up tick in the forest rats about a month ago.

Did you take photos of your gear? Is there a way to incorporate you experience in teaching at motorcycle school? Seems one way to impact new riders to get in the mind set of ATGATT
I have the gear and I do plan on placing it on display in my class room. I am going to check with local clothing retailers to find a full size mannequin to display the gear on.

Luckily it was cool Sunday morning and I was wearing the best gear I owned. Klime Latitude coat and pants, Shoei Hornet DS helmet, Sidi boots, and some average leather riding gloves. The Klime gear looks like it went through a meet grinder and has many holes over the armored areas but I only had two small areas of abrasion on my left knee and right elbow. The double leather layer over the knuckles on my right glove had wore through and I have a couple of 3/8 inch abrasions on two of my knuckles. The shoei helmet has a large crack in the outer shell and a lot of abrasions all over the helmet.

Progressive insurance paid for my riding gear with out question two years ago when I crashed my FZ1. It will be interesting to see what they say about the price of this gear.