Steel brake lines for Gen 1 ABS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schwach

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a proud owner of 2005 AC ABS and i feel that my front brakes are like sponge now. I think that brake lines were't changed for 10 years. Pads are new, fluid too, but a need almost all of my power on the lever to block the front wheel.

So, i need to change the brake lines. Will changing to new OEM increase the braking effectiveness or i need the braided ones? I heard that changing to steel lines on ABS is like hell. Why? And what are the good steel lines for Gen 1 ABS (Galfer looks too expensive)?

Thank you!

I doubt that the problem is brake lines. Old lines may make the braking less crisp but shouldn't make it very difficult to stop! You may have a problem with the ABS block or the calipers.

Most people say the braided lines may be a bit better but the OEM are pretty good. I am still running the original lines on my '07 (122,000 miles) and they are still good. I don't think many people find it necessary to change lines due to degradation in performance.

If you have any weeping from the forks, that oil can get on your pads and make the braking pretty crappy.

"All of the power on the lever to block the front wheel"

Not sure what that means. All of the power to lock?? It shouldn't lock, you have ABS.

All of your power to even stop??? Then something else is wrong. Brake lines of one time over another might (and that's might) affect the feel of the lever compared to a different set of lines, but they would have no effect on the actual effectiveness of the brakes.

If the lever is spongy, the first thing to do is bleed the brakes. I know you've stated that you changed the fluid, but ANY air or water anywhere in the system will do what you describe.

I'm not sure what the process is to flush the fluid in the ABS unit, or if it gets done with a regular bleed. My '03 doesn't have all them fancy-schmanzty gizmos, but even that guy is tough to get a good front brake bleed sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put stainless steel lines on my '05 abs. It was a chrome plated bitch. 8 lines to install, had to fab a bracket at the steering head. Getting a good bleed on the front brake took days. Small improvement in braking feel up front, no noticeable difference at the rear.They look purty and allowed me to put double risers under the handlebars due to their extra length.

I got a smoking deal on the lines from a forum member, new in box including clutch line from Spiegler for $140, otherwise I wouldn't have got 'em. They were about $5-600 retail. Knowing what I know now I wouldn't do it again. I agree with the others, your braking problem probably lies elsewhere.