HELP! Bent rim and possibly assistance required in PNW

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRGuy

FJR Rally Addict! :D
Reaction score
I bent my rim and am wondering what my options are. In Blaine, WA (Peace Arch Border Crossing) and found a BMW guy who has straightened many BMW rims, but says they are 'soft'. Anyone have experience fixing bent rims?
Does anyone close by have a spare rim I can borrow/rent to get me home. (I do have a spare rim at home.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone close by have a spare rim I can borrow/rent to get me home. (I do have a spare rim at home.)
I have an '05 ABS that will fit your '07 about 300 miles SE of you you could borrow...sorry its not closer to you. There may be some closer options to you in the Seattle area.

Bent rims need to be heated to reshape them. This usually requires removing everything from the wheel including the rotors and bearings. Finding or borrowing a rim may be better for immediate gratification. Can't help with a rim, good luck!

Thanks guys! I decided to limp back to my side of the border. Tire is holding air so going to limp eastward on Hwy 3. I'll check back to see if southern BC guys have a rim. :)

I bent my rim and am wondering what my options are. In Blaine, WA (Peace Arch Border Crossing) and found a BMW guy who has straightened many BMW rims, but says they are 'soft'. Anyone have experience fixing bent rims?Does anyone close by have a spare rim I can borrow/rent to get me home. (I do have a spare rim at home.)
Sorry, I'm on East coast, but I used dealer locator and found your nearest Yamaha dealer:

SKAGIT POWERSPORTS1645 WALTON DR

BURLINGTON, WA 98233-4611

Phone: 360-757-7999

Good luck to you!

Jeff what year? 08 is the cut off. There is a place down in Renton that straitened mine.

Dependable Wheel Repair 415 S 7th StRenton, WA 98057

(425) 226-8711

Jeff:

How you making out? Wish I could offer some help, but all I've got is best wishes.

Grant

PS: You might not want to come home - 2 degrees and 10-15 cm of (more) snow coming tonight!

Jeff what year? 08 is the cut off. There is a place down in Renton that straitened mine.
Dependable Wheel Repair 415 S 7th StRenton, WA 98057

(425) 226-8711
Pan's repaired wheel looks great and balances w/o any more weight than normal. Dudes ^^^^ did a nice job!

FWIW

--G

Thanks for all the replies guys. Sorry for disappearing. Was able to limp to Nelson on a long day and am still safe and intact. The good guys and Main Jet Motorsports here in Nelson suggested a tube. I hadn't thought of that but it is a good extra safety measure. Now the sun has come out so just have to deal with the near freezing temps getting home.

I would not use a tube if the tire is holding air as it is. You won't be able to ride any faster safely with a tube than you can with a bent rim.

Why is that Greg? The concern was with leaking pressure at the bead. Tube prevents that from happening. I felt comfortable enough with the tube that I rode the rest of the way home at 'normal' speeds. I'm thankful for Bear Bait, but had no issues with the tire. Thinking I'll add the tube to my emergency repair kit for LD rides.

Alberta Wheel Repair just quoted me $140-150 to repair my rim (without cosmetic refinishing) and wants the disks off but the bearings in. Looks like it's wrenching time.

Alberta Wheel Repair just quoted me $140-150 to repair my rim (without cosmetic refinishing) and wants the disks off but the bearings in. Looks like it's wrenching time.
Guess this makes the inner tube thingie moot.

There is a fair chance that the tube's air stem will be too big for the hole in the cast rim. A general rule of thumb is to derate the speed rating of the tire at least one level due to heat. Heat rise and friction are two of the big concerns followed by pinching the tube when installing the tire. Cast rims typically have a deep center rib which the tube doesn't do well with. The tube must not be bigger than the tire. The tube may chafe the soft inner lining of the tubless tire. If there is no appreciable air leaking past the bend in the rim there can be trapped air pockets.

They do make tubes for tubelss tires but they are a real hard find.

In an emergency, use a tube, slow down, don't push things and be aware if the tube doesn't survive the experience you will have an instant blow-out instead of a slow leak-down.

Why is that Greg? The concern was with leaking pressure at the bead. Tube prevents that from happening. I felt comfortable enough with the tube that I rode the rest of the way home at 'normal' speeds. I'm thankful for Bear Bait, but had no issues with the tire. Thinking I'll add the tube to my emergency repair kit for LD rides.
I was thinking about the heat, but Mr. Beam already answered while I was out playing golf. Glad to hear that you are home safe.