Cat Removal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attila

Reaction score
Has anyone removed the cats from the head pipes on the 2nd. generation FJR and did an A-B dyno test to see what if any horsepower gains were made.

I have an 08 with StainTunes with the DB killers removed and no bags but I need more.

I've heard that you gain about 5 hp when you remove the cats from the head pipes but I've not seen any documentation on this mod.

Web Cams has a mild profile with 241 degrees of duration @ .050 checking lift that they recommend for a street FJR that can be used with stock valve springs but that's only about 10 degrees more than stock and good for maybe 3-5 hp more over the stock cams.

You can't get wild with the camshaft duration in an FJR because of it's tall gearing which is the one thing I dislike most about mine.

Anyway, removing those cats will be a real pain but for 5 hp I would have to go for it.

I've always thought that my black FJR was the most beautiful bike I've ever owned including my black 96 super Max but the FJR simply needs more oats.

Thank's for your help and this is a very informative place to visit even though farkles and doo dads seem to be what is on most folks mind who ride these things (FJR's) however even a slow FJR is cooler that a tad quicker but ugly Kawasaki.

There is a kit for the V-Max to change over from shaft to chain drive maybe they make it for the FJR it will also give you some added horses

Holeshot headers FTW!
^^^ this.

Even after you have de-catted your stock header, the header pipes are (intentionally) small diameters, which was done to shift the torque curve to lower rpm for more usable power in its intended use (sport touring, not drag racing). Switching to an aftermarket 4 into 2 header with ;larger diameter pipes will give you high rpm HP increase at the cost of some of the low rpm grunt.

I tried a holeshot header on my 2005 (with the stock un-catted cans) and decided that I missed the low rpm grunt too much during "normal" street riding, and so went back to the stock header. There was a tangible increase in horsepower, but it is nearly unusable in street riding as it is all in the upper rpms.

Personally, if I was looking to build a drag racer I'd start with something more suitable and much lighter. YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm having the same problem...

nMIVB6.jpg

You should search Uselesspickles and wickedwebby. All the answers you need will be there. Honestly, if you need that much more power, it's very hard to extract from this particular engine.

Make yourself happy and go buy a Busa or a ZX14. If you have an extra $50k laying around, go but a Motus, because otherwise, you're going to have a very hard time finding a sport tourer with more power and less weight, which is what you'll need to feel any difference, and right now, every ST bike with more power has more weight.

Oh yeah, I forgot the Ducati Multistrada and the new KTM 1190. Both have significantly more get up and go than the FJR, but you trade off comfort, chain drive, wind protection and other things. Different pros and cons depending on what your goals are. There are lots of FASTER bikes, but not bikes that are as well rounded as this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts