Westone: high performace earphones

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poolboytoo

Reaction score
I just got my ear mold's done today and am looking into westone CR-10 or AC-10 or AC-20 custom models and hope someone will have some insight on which ones would work best for the sena 20s , sr-10, and zumo 665lm. I'm sure they will sound great and hoping they block wind noise. Also, will it matter if the cord is the type that wraps behind the ear. The AS-10 and AS-20 provides up to 25dB of ambient noise reduction and have the ability to replace the cord if it would break. Anybody have any opinion on these.

Wife and I both have the Cr 10 BY Westone. Wasn't looking for audiophile quality and they were the least expensive. Love them, better audio than my er6i'S. Only problem was that my new helmet pushed on my ear causing discomforts at end of day. No problem with my other helmets.

Thanks for your input guys. I'm thinking about trying the AC-10 due to the noise canceling and replaceable cord . Not sure about the around the ear cord style for inside the helmet. I know it will depend on the helmet ect...

I just got my ear mold's done today and am looking into westone CR-10 or AC-10 or AC-20 custom models and hope someone will have some insight on which ones would work best for the sena 20s , sr-10, and zumo 665lm.
I don't think any particular earphone is going to work any differently with these devices. They all have the same connector type and going to work the same. It's the sound quality level of the device itself that's going to vary between models.

While I don't have particular experience with this brand, but my experience with Etymotics has made me learn that the lower the profile of the piece in the ear, the least amount of stuff sticking on the end of it via wires, the more flexible that wire is to adjust angles parallel with the helmet liner and orientation....the better. A fraction of an inch on these things is the difference between super-comfortable for days on end and super-annoying the more miles you do.

The AC-10 and AC-20 appear to have a beefier wire end and connector with limited range of motion. Will that translate to being workable with your particular noggin and helmet? The CR10 seems most like my Etymotics and least likely to interfere...purely by looking at the picture.

Ditto on what Iggy said.

I've used these for over 5 years now, and like them a lot. Good sound isolation, good sound quality, and a profile that keeps them out of way when putting my helmet on. The cable is small enough to be flexible and routeable, but strong enough to last.

https://www.earplugstore.com/noname11.html

I plug mine into my helmet-mounted SMH10 with the 3.5mm headphone jack (SMH-A303 helmet clamp). The Zumo and V1 connect by wires to an SM10 Bluetooth adapter on the handlebars. Works really well for me.

Just started to feel this scenario out....

Earlier this summer, bought a couple of Shoei GT Air's for my woman and I, then just took the plunge on Sena 20s - I will say the speakers are less then adequate for music IMO.... commands or comms they are just fine - but I would lose my mind if music sounded like that on any radio, stereo or system that I owned.... That being said, I own the Shure 215se in ear headsets - trying to get the helmets on or off was/is a painful experience....

Anyone have comments towards how the Westones are for fit and inside the ears comfort and how they compare to the Shure's fitness.

My buddy has custom molded earphones, but he wears one of those real thin scull caps under his helmet. he says its makes all the differance in the world when he puts on takes off his helmet .

I own the Shure 215se in ear headsets - trying to get the helmets on or off was/is a painful experience....
Anyone have comments towards how the Westones are for fit and inside the ears comfort and how they compare to the Shure's fitness.
Warp, I went down that same road, minus the woman. Was using the S-Plugs for a few years and was happy with the sound quality and isolation but they did start to hurt after a few hours. Tried the Shures as a solution and had the same result you did. A little over a year ago I stopped into the S-Plug booth at a show and was fitted for custom molds and in which she transferred over my original speakers saving me some $$. They look similar in design to the Westones from what I can see. I've been very happy with them.

Echoing what Ignacio said above, what I discovered was (once you settle on a low profile unit that's not compressed by the helmet) the wire was the part that gave me the most discomfort. It seemed to irritate wherever it was rubbing on the outer ear. The Shures were nice in that I could rotate the wire up and over the top of the ear but like you found it was a real PITA getting the helmet on and off. The design of the custom molds give me the same option although I don't always bother and haven't had any problems.

I've also taken to putting a small dab of neosporin on each plug which helps with both comfort and a more secure fit. I will wear a skull-cap on hot days but it does not come over my ears.

Thanks ogre.... I'm looking into other possible options for custom molded options as well...

Not looking to break my wallet any more then I have to....

Your saying that you transferred the audio portion of the original S-Plus to the custom molded units....

Did they set it up with the chord dropping out the bottom...?!?!

Most Importantly - How do they sound.... I do like some decent audio quality.... Not looking to get audiophile quality when I'm riding on my bike honestly - I don't think that's necessary personally, but I want something that will sound better then those crappy speakers that come with the Sena20s...

Thanks

Yup, she transferred the speakers from my original S-Plugs into the new molds. After she took the impressions I left my originals with her and got the one set of customs back.

The chord looks like it comes out roughly about the same place as the CR10s although maybe at a slightly different angle. It also looks a bit more robust in that it is one smooth wire with a rubberized feel to it whereas the pic on the Westone site appears to be two smaller wires twisted together. I wonder if that might be a potential source of discomfort.

Sound wise I'm happy with them. I'm far from knowledgeable on what makes for good speakers but I do appreciate nice sound, enough where I thought about upgrading to her dual-drivers while she was making the customs. That of course defeated the cost savings of transferring my singles and even though I thought I could tell the difference between them standing there at the booth, I seriously doubt it would have been worth the money (to me) inside the helmet at any sort of speed. The days of crankin' it are also pretty much done with.

Lastly, I can only say good things about her and her company. She might be a little slow getting back to you sometimes but she's stands behind her work. Back when I bought the first set one of the wires eventually frayed at the earpiece and even though they were out of warranty she took care of it. On top of that she reached out before doing so to say she was upgrading the entire wire, wanted to know if I was happy with the length I was using and if I wanted a straight or 90 for the male plug. Hard to complain. And this was back when she was one of the few around whereas now she's got more competition.

New Westone W-20 just came in. Sitting on the couch with the helmet on, powered by a new X-5 Fifo player.

Sounds awesome, and they are smaller in the ear than my Klipsch. Easier to get the helmet on!

my westone ac-20 should(hopfully) be here before wednesday night so i'm able to use them for the trip to EOM. Really glad to here they ''sound awesome'' I will report back after i get back.

Just wanted to let everyone know about the westone AC-20. These in my mind are incredible. They arrived the day before I left for EOM 2014. I plugged them into my Bose computer speaker outlet and listened to my favorites for a couple hours. I was able to hear things in the music I hadn't pick up on before. I didn't want stop listening. I used them for the trip to eom and found them easy to get used to and by the time I returned home, I almost forgot I was using them. ( very comfortable) I wear a modular helmet so that allows me to open the helmet a little wider to help put on and take off helmet. I'm thinking a real thin head sock will make all the differance. Not sure how these would work with a regular helmet with out a head sock. The cord going over the ear isn't a issue. I'm guessing the cr-10 would have sounded nice also, but wanted a replaceable cord. I was able to purchase the Westone AC-20 set for $340.00 total. I bought them from Grace Hearing Instruments. 530 west broadway in council bluffs iowa 712-322-8393. If I lost this set I would order another set in a heart beat. I can't help to wonder what the really expensive earphones would sound like. Oh, wind noise was reduced a fair amount over foam ear plugs. I find these easier to put in and use apposed to foam. Over all a fantastic product.