90 Degree Tire Valve Stem Clearance?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanker

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
So, I'm in the process of replacing my tires with the use of my new NoMar tire changer. It works fantastic!
I just completed installing a 90 degree tire valve stem on the front tire and mounting/balancing the new tire.

I'm going to install the front back on the bike in the morning. I'm hoping someone with 90 degree valve stems can confirm whether or not they saw any issues with hitting the brake calipers once installed and rotating the tire.

I have the stems recommended in another thread that I purchased from Bike Effects.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem at all, Tanker. Just make sure they are facing to the right.
smile.png
Who's right? :)

If you are talking about those low profile, anodized aluminum, 80 degree valve stems - yes, there will be no clearance issues with the brake caliper.

Any other type of non low profile 90 degree stems will indeed interfere. My Doran TPMS system has the pressure sensors which mount on the threaded part of the stem. Doran supplies you with metal valve stems because the use of the sensors on the rubber stems that came with the bike will cause the rubber to fail. When the rubber valve stem fails, it will cause a sudden rapid deflation, and at best, will ruin your day.

Both styles are supplied the the TPMS kit that Doran markets; a short straight one, and a curved 90 degree one. These metal stems have another feature, they have the same thread on both ends. When mounted on the rim this feature allows the pressure sensor to live inside the tire and still be attached to the valve stem. Their batteries last several years. The problem with the curved 90 degree stems is that they will most definitely interfere with the brake caliper, unless you rotate it close to being in line with the direction of rotation. Mine are approximately 30 degrees off being in line with the rim. It works, and my sensors are unseen.

Which ever one you end up using, just be sure you rotate the tire a few rotations to check for clearance before driving off.

Have fun with your bike, and support your favorite tire manufacturer !!!

Brodie

;-)

smile.png
Whose right? :)
The bikes right. You want those stems facing upwards when it's on the side stand. It's waaaay easier to connect the air and fill them up!
smile.png
Actually I mounted them both towards the left. On the rear it completely eliminates dealing with the brake caliper and I wanted to have them pointing the same direction.

95%+ of the time I've got the bike on the center stand when adding air, so it works out well.

If you are talking about those low profile, anodized aluminum, 80 degree valve stems - yes, there will be no clearance issues with the brake caliper.
Any other type of non low profile 90 degree stems will indeed interfere. My Doran TPMS system has the pressure sensors which mount on the threaded part of the stem. Doran supplies you with metal valve stems because the use of the sensors on the rubber stems that came with the bike will cause the rubber to fail. When the rubber valve stem fails, it will cause a sudden rapid deflation, and at best, will ruin your day.

Both styles are supplied the the TPMS kit that Doran markets; a short straight one, and a curved 90 degree one. These metal stems have another feature, they have the same thread on both ends. When mounted on the rim this feature allows the pressure sensor to live inside the tire and still be attached to the valve stem. Their batteries last several years. The problem with the curved 90 degree stems is that they will most definitely interfere with the brake caliper, unless you rotate it close to being in line with the direction of rotation. Mine are approximately 30 degrees off being in line with the rim. It works, and my sensors are unseen.

Which ever one you end up using, just be sure you rotate the tire a few rotations to check for clearance before driving off.

Have fun with your bike, and support your favorite tire manufacturer !!!

Brodie

;-)
Thanks for the information Brodie.

I've been thinking about adding a TPMS for next season and this information will come in handy.

smile.png
Whose right? :)
Me

And that should be "Who's right?"

wink.png
Or said another way, "I prefer to face the stems to the starboard side. It's a bit easier to check and air when the bike is leaning on the port side stand."

To the OP, no issues with the 83 degree type valve stems Bike Effects cells pointing perpendicular to the wheel centerline.

smile.png
Actually, if you are right handed, the front is better pointed to the left side and the rear is pointed to the right side. That way, you will be able to have the air hose in your strong hand. The opposite would be true if you are a Lefty.

smile.png
Actually, if you are right handed, the front is better pointed to the left side and the rear is pointed to the right side. That way, you will be able to have the air hose in your strong hand. The opposite would be true if you are a Lefty.

That's how my Yamaha guy installed them a long time ago. I thought it was weird at first, but it has worked out well.

smile.png

That's how my Yamaha guy installed them a long time ago. I thought it was weird at first, but it has worked out well.
Actually I found it easier to have the rear facing left away from the brake rotor even when right handed. I also went back to a straight stem in the front- I found a 90* to be more difficult. I could see it if we had a single rotor up front but with two IMO a 90* is a PITA.

... but if you inflate tires with the bike on the side stand, do you inflate to the same pressure as if it was on the center stand?
rolleyes.gif

... but if you inflate tires with the bike on the side stand, do you inflate to the same pressure as if it was on the center stand?
rolleyes.gif
Yes, tyre (tire) pressure is independent of load. The only thing that changes is the size of the contact patch..............

Latest posts