parking stand choice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What stand do you use when working on the bike?

• What is this 'working on the bike' of which you speak?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Centre-stand for working on the bike unless it's a clutch soak, in which case side-stand.

And, you forgot to ask about when strapped down on a ferry ...

Centre-stand for working on the bike unless it's a clutch soak, in which case side-stand. And, you forgot to ask about when strapped down on a ferry ...
Oh, I wanted to mention something about when transporting, but the poll format limit is 4 questions. Anyway, I think the consensus for transporting is to use the side stand when on a large area, such as a ferry deck, and the center stand when the bike is on a trailer/pickup etc, where it can be secured with straps: front, back and sides.

I'm mainly interested in the more common practice of parking, as I've lately encountered some claims that it's better to park using the center stand, even on hot asphalt!

On sidestand except for maintenance stuff or loading the bike for a trip. I guess I also use centerstand for winter storage.

Centre-stand for working on the bike unless it's a clutch soak, in which case side-stand. And, you forgot to ask about when strapped down on a ferry ...
Oh, I wanted to mention something about when transporting, but the poll format limit is 4 questions. Anyway, I think the consensus for transporting is to use the side stand when on a large area, such as a ferry deck, and the center stand when the bike is on a trailer/pickup etc, where it can be secured with straps: front, back and sides.

I'm mainly interested in the more common practice of parking, as I've lately encountered some claims that it's better to park using the center stand, even on hot asphalt!
When transporting on a trailer the bike should not be on either stand.

Tie it down with four straps and let the suspension take the bumps.

Now that I have my trusty Big Foot on, I can park at ease on dirt and soft asphalt.....
+1 Bigfoot. Game changer for sure.

Nice job on the questions. Interesting choices... Gave me a chuckle or two.

But I have another option not listed.

I JUST GET OFF AND WALK AWAY.

Gary

darkside strikes again

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that I have my trusty Big Foot on, I can park at ease on dirt and soft asphalt.....
+1 Bigfoot. Game changer for sure.

Nice job on the questions choices. Gave me a chuckle or two.

But I have another option not listed.

I JUST GET OFF AND WALK AWAY.

Gary

darksider #44
Gold Wing guy I rode with did just that once. The great beast gracefully tipped over onto the left engine guard, putting a very mild scratch on it. No other damage, except to his ego..

Okay, now that I've thought about it a bit more I have to change my answer as to which stand I "normally use" for parking. While the side stand is my preferred stand and the go-to option whenever there's no good reason to use the centre stand, I do put it on the centre stand in my garage to save space, including during our long winters, so I guess it spends about 98% of its time on the centre stand.

Gold Wing guy I rode with did just that once. The great beast gracefully tipped over onto the left engine guard, putting a very mild scratch on it. No other damage, except to his ego..
I once saw that done by a distracted FJR guy.

When out of the garage I use the (non Big Foot) side stand 99.9% of the time. If it's a really hot day I may use the center stand to keep the side stand from punching through the asphalt. In >40 years I have had the center stand punch through only once. I didn't think I was going to be able to get my FJR back out again after the center stand went through the asphalt. Boy did it make a mess of the parking lot when I was able to get the bike to roll off the center stand. Leave quick and hope nobody noticed......

I do find the center stand is useful for maintenance and stability when working on the bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the center stand at all times unless it is just a quick stop on the side of the road for a break (where I use the side stand if it is secure). I may use the side stand more often once I get my WynPro pad (I just ordered one).

Dan

Common logic is that the side stand gives you a larger, more stable "triangle" than the center stand. I only use center stand for maintenance. Wynpro foot is nice but does add a little lift, so parking on inclines be careful you have enough "lean". I always give the bike a lift/pull from the back as I'm leaving to decompress the rear suspension. Call me paranoid.

Common logic is that the side stand gives you a larger, more stable "triangle" than the center stand. I only use center stand for maintenance. Wynpro foot is nice but does add a little lift, so parking on inclines be careful you have enough "lean". I always give the bike a lift/pull from the back as I'm leaving to decompress the rear suspension. Call me paranoid.
I find myself lifting up sometimes as well. I also lower the side stand and kick if forward with my toe just to be sure it's all the way forward. I think this habit comes from days past when my old bike took a swift kick even to get it all the way forward. Old habits die hard I guess.

Traveling on ferries 3-5 times per week, everybody who has a center stand uses it. Not having a center stand was one reason that I sold my Kawasaki KLE-650. Part of the issue is that the ferry personel may squish you into tight spaces, and the center stand makes that a bit easier.