SWConnect and SpotWalla

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodman4

Pressing on
Reaction score
I'm sure a lot of you know Spotwalla is great, but it was my first chance to try it since I'm an iPhone user. The new SWConnect app worked great for me and my friends and family were able to follow along with our trip. I only had a couple times I lost some data points. The first was when my phone locked up in Yellowstone and I rebooted my phone. A reboot loses the buffered pts. The second was when my phone battery went dead because the AC connector was loose.

I have used other tracking tools on past trips, and this is way better. A true spot is better for emergency situations in out of coverage areas because the iPhone can only send when it has signal. But for normal tracking, you couldn't ask for a better setup.

I even found out afterwards that when they held the executive management meeting I missed during my trip, my boss pulled up the Spotwalla link I sent him so they could see where I was during the meeting. Pretty cool.

Same here. I used it last week for a 2000 mile trip and it worked great. Most of the time I did not have a cell signal but it buffered the data until I did.

One thing I found is that sometimes, once I did have a cell or wifi signal, it did not start downloading the buffered data. But if I sent a message, like 'food' or 'hotel', it would start downloading the data.