Michelin tops tire review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not much difference, score-wise between the compared tires.

Has anyone here ever used a T30 from Bridgestone on their FJR?

AFAIK, a number of people have tried (and liked) the T30 GT. This test seems to evaluate the non-GT version.

There are a couple of parameters that are absent from this, and most other tire reviews, and are a major consideration for anyone who puts a lot of miles on the bike:

1) Tire life. Anyone who says this is not important obviously has too much money or only rides 5,000 miles per year.

2) Tire performance/handling/noise etc. at mid-life. Some of the "best" tires out there (initial performance) range from somewhat less than perfect to downright nasty by mid-life. I have never been happy with PR2 or PR3 after 5-6000 miles even though tread life may go to 12000. My worst experience is with the Pirelli Angel GT. One of the nicest tires (initial impression) and one of the only tires I changed out early because of cupping/steering wobble and noise. Never again.

"My worst experience is with the Pirelli Angel GT. One of the nicest tires (initial impression) and one of the only tires I changed out early because of cupping/steering wobble and noise. Never again".

Great news ! I just had a pair of Angel GT's put on.

Last edited by a moderator:
"My worst experience is with the Pirelli Angel GT. One of the nicest tires (initial impression) and one of the only tires I changed out early because of cupping/steering wobble and noise. Never again".
Great news ! I just had a pair of Angel GT's put on.
Your mileage (and experience with these) may vary. I have heard both good and bad with respect to the Angel GT's.

Not much difference, score-wise between the compared tires.
Has anyone here ever used a T30 from Bridgestone on their FJR?
No, never, not once, never even heard of 'em
punk.gif

Well I was looking at the 2 threads that discuss Michelin tires and have not been banished to the NEPERT. This one is the least stale. Therefore, I will report my complete life observations here and try to keep it relevant.

My rear tire was a Michelin PR4 and used for a total of 14,507 miles. I really wanted a PR2 but my goto shop had trouble finding the 2's and I was chafing over the price increase. My miles were about 95% were freeway (65-90 ratios such to avoid tickets), 3% canyon blasting and the remainder around town. Even in it's last days it was predictable and inspired confidence. Granted the wear was concentrated in the center stripe. When I removed it, the wear bars were definitely in contact with the pavement, but there was the ghost of the center sipe still visible. I did hear a slight howling when leaned over in turns but it was not annoying it was just Silver talking to me.

I Still think motorcycle tires are WAY over priced but this one seems to be the $/Mile that I have found that can be trusted on a FJR.

"This tire was used for a total of 14,507 miles."

What tire was used for...? Specifics please.

I really llked the Bridgestone T30 GT and did a little better than Joe mileage wise. I'm at 5000 miles and still have a way to go before it is totally spent. It has had a good life of twisty roads and is not squared off at all. Much better handling in the last third of life than the Michelin PR2 or PR3 I have used, and that is actually worth accepting slightly shorter mileage. I think my ideal combo might be the T30 front with a Michelin PR4 rear.

Keep in mind if you mount your own tires, the Bridgestone has a reputation of being a difficult mount.

<snip> Keep in mind if you mount your own tires, the Bridgestone has a reputation of being a difficult mount.
Mounted a set of T30GTs last weekend. Not too terrible, about the same level of difficulty as 023GTs and Dunlops. With a little bit of warmth they would have gone on easier. Ambient temps [and tires] were in the mid 50s at the time.

--G

"The strength of the Bridgestone is long distance with a heavy load, it wears extremely well."

Funny how most folks experience with the T30 do not bear this out.

From reviews I've read and feedback on this forum and others, it seems that the T30 is a better sport tire than long wearing distance tire.

Put a set of PR4GT's on the 2013 the first weekend of May. As of Sunday, they now have 11,000 miles on them. At least half of that was 2 up with gear. The back has another 2500-5000 miles left in it. The front looks like it'll go significantly more. Call it 7500.

Inflated to 41-42 front and back since day one. The 2013 in tour mode except for a few blasts when I wanted to get my ya-ya's on.

I'd buy them again.

I really llked the Bridgestone T30 GT and did a little better than Joe mileage wise. I'm at 5000 miles and still have a way to go before it is totally spent. It has had a good life of twisty roads and is not squared off at all. Much better handling in the last third of life than the Michelin PR2 or PR3 I have used, and that is actually worth accepting slightly shorter mileage. I think my ideal combo might be the T30 front with a Michelin PR4 rear.
Keep in mind if you mount your own tires, the Bridgestone has a reputation of being a difficult mount.
I bent my brand new Mojolever taking mine off! I will not do another one of those myself. I had 4800 miles on mine and it wasn't done. Close, though. I need new rubber for NAFO/EOM. Put on a set of PR4's. I really like them for the feel, but man does that front tire sing in the high speed turns! 4242.7 miles and they don't look like they have lost any tread.

Yeah, no kidding. Liked the 023GTs that came new on the bike so put on another set. Boy was that rear tire a bear, swore I'd never use another one just for that reason, and this was using a NoMar Pro jr. The rear of the second set was shot by 5k miles compared to 6.5k on the original, same roads, go figure. Anyway, have a new set of Angel GTs waiting to go on but based on the feedback so far I'm probably going to try a PR4 GT on rear next time, getting anywhere near 10k miles on a rear would be a revelation. Still like the Bridgestone 023GT for the front, might try the MIchelin PR4 on the rear and see how it does with an 030GT front as noted by Tom above.

Put a set of PR4GT's on the 2013 the first weekend of May. As of Sunday, they now have 11,000 miles on them. At least half of that was 2 up with gear. The back has another 2500-5000 miles left in it. The front looks like it'll go significantly more. Call it 7500.
Inflated to 41-42 front and back since day one. The 2013 in tour mode except for a few blasts when I wanted to get my ya-ya's on.

I'd buy them again.
That is good to see............. If I get10000miles I'd be tickled. The OEM bridgestones came off at 6000miles. The front was to the wear bars, the rear had another 2K miles left. Put on PR4's and put bike away for winter.

Most of miles were 2lane, little slab, 2up 25% and riding " out of the stunt riding charge area" most of the time
rolleyes.gif

I've had some bad wear out of bridgestone, but I've had PR2/3 fronts go pretty fast too. It's a needy style of bike. Best wear overall I've found was with Metzeler, but it's not a premium tire in some respects.