Dynojet power commander EX

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steved1

Reaction score
I am looking at intalling a power commander EX on my 06 AE and like to know from people that have one if this a good one to use or maybe somethink else that you would recomend? thanks

I am looking at installing a power commander EX on my 06 AE and like to know from people that have one if this a good one to use or maybe somethink else that you would recomend? thanks

Nobody?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your issue with "No Replies" is the model Power Commander you're asking about...

The "popular" model on the forum for Gen II models is the Power Commander V, not the EX.

The "V" model is "Race Ready" while the "EX" model is "Street Approved", i.e., California Air Resources Board (C.A.R.B.) approved.

Most folks (49-staters) don't care about C.A.R.B. approval. Most California owners, either. :D

I have Beowulfs fitted but still had surging with the standard pipes. At a steady speed the bike felt it was on an uneven surface. I fitted the PCV and its a transformation. The first thing I noticed, strangely, was how smooth the gear changes had become but I suppose if the engine is not fighting itself and that reflects in the drivetrain. As for the general smoothness and rideability - a vast improvement!

What Howie said, what the hell is an EX? I put a PCV on my 06' and it was great. Except for one thing, took my in town MPG from 30 to 23.5. I made some adjustments to the mapping by doing a global 5% reduction but only brought up the MPG to 25.5. I thought about doing another 5% but at that point I felt like I was getting back to stock numbers. I decided to sell it and now I wish I hadn't. The smoothness was worth the drop in MPG. Once the PC was out I really noticed the surge getting back on the gas in corners. If you don't care about MPG you should do it no question.

Had an 06 A model with the PC III, loaded a bunch of different maps, took cats out, ran both stock and J&S exhaust, did work on the air box too. I'm not sure any of that eliminated the snatch you speak of. I just got accustomed to it and compensated for it. Spending time and money was definitely something to do in the off season
smile.png

If you do your homework, and as several guys allude to, you don't want the EX at freekin' all. A PC V with the Autotune module came out after I put the PC III on and in theory is the best way to go if you aren't a "every drop of power" fanatic.

Good news for me was when I bought a Gen III there ain't no jerkiness. Bad news is I won't have anything to play with while the snow is on the ground.

I installed a PC 5 last year. Now, the bike runs great. I suggest adding some fuel to the map at the lower settings. Gas mileage about the same. I average 41-46 mpg. I got 48 on a recent trip to West Va. The reduced gas mileage might be because of the way I`m riding her.

PC 5...NO REGRETS