I can buy a new 2012 FJR for $11,800, should I?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blassoff

Its just the dog in me, baby
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I'm working on a deal to purchase a new/unused 2012 FJR. Trading in my 2005 as part if the deal. I love my 05, and it only has 50,000 miles on her (and enough freaking farkles that it'll take two days to return the bike to stock. So the question us, should I do it. I like the extras on the gen 2, but Is it worth the expense to replace a perfectly serviceable 05? I'm waivering. Is the 12 really any different then buying a lightly used. 06? I've never bought a new bike ( never thought I would). So what's the consensus?

Thanks all!!! Baz

It would depend on what you're getting for the '05. That alone could be the difference between a good or sorry deal. When trading, the price of the new unit or the trade-in allowance by themselves don't mean much.

Have you listed the differences between the '05 and the '12? Are they worth the difference in price?

Will the farkles off the '05 fit the '12?

seems like alot.

trade will have big effect.

2013's not much more expensive and there are a few out there.

Sell your bike and buy a GenIII

Have to agree with the Gen3 suggestion. One problem is the amout of Gen1 inventory out there, so if you've got a suitable deal working to recover some value from the '05, that something to consider.

You could roll the '12 for a year or two before trying the market for a Gen3.

The Gen3 does bring a lot to the party. That's the way I'd go. Sell the Gen1 and latch onto a Gen3.

Since you asked: I would hang on to the'05, now that you have it fixed up the way your want it. But if I had to have a new bike, I'd wait till the 2015's come out. WBill

FWIW, I was able to finangle a deal on a 2012 at $12,500 when it was the current model. So you are saving about $1200 over that deal two years later and after the Gen III introduction. I still like the Gen I and agree with others that the upgrade path for me (if it occurs) will be to bypass Gen II for Gen III.

You should readily be able to get a 2013 for $13K. With that, you get cruise, traction control, fly by wire, heated grips, etc. I'd try to go that direction.

Gen 1's ROCK! Keep riding until the THRILL is gone. (aim for 100k)

By then ... you can get a Gen 3 for about the $12k you would spend needlessly today. (I bought a low mile 2013 for $10k)
punk.gif

Excellent suggestions. Thank you. I'm hanging onto the 05 till I kill it or the wheels fall off. Haven't found anything better than buying another FJR. Says sumptin don't it. Thanks again for increasing my clarity.

Excellent suggestions. Thank you. I'm hanging onto the 05 till I kill it or the wheels fall off. Haven't found anything better than buying another FJR. Says sumptin don't it. Thanks again for increasing my clarity.
Actually, I think that's a terrible idea. Hanging onto it until just before the wheels fall off would be good. But until the wheels fall off would be bad. ;)

If you have your 05 set up the way you like it, keep ridiing it. It will feel just as good at 100K as it does at 50K. If you want a new bike and enjoy the whole farkling process, work a deal for a gen3. I'd skip the gen 2 now that gen 3s are available. I rode a 2014ES and it is sweet.

I'm going along with the crowd on this one- skip the Gen 2 and go for Gen 3. There have been several lightly used 2013's sold lately with <10K miles, a couple <5k miles, in the $10.5-11.5K range.

I've been using searchtempest.com lately for shopping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta agree with the masses...too much money for the [new] '12. You'll take a beating the minute it leaves the showroom floor.

GEN III is the way to go!

--G

I have a 2013 with 900 miles on it that I will sell you for $12,300 with the original shield and a National cycle V-stream. I realized it is too much bike for an older man.