LED H4 replacements (at the risk of being labeled 'search defective')

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric L

Not that kind of a doctor
Reaction score
Done a fair bit of googling, but don't really see a clear answer to this. Has anyone here replaced their H4 bulbs with a modern dual emitter high power, fan cooled LED?

It appears that these are better at positioning the emitted light where it belongs in the reflector, but most reports are from kids with slammed corollas on the interwebs.

Any FJR owner here try this?

oh... thats a current thread. I am 'search disabled'.

I will follow this intently.

oh... thats a current thread. I am 'search disabled'.
I will follow this intently.
I actually wouldn't say that...and certainly didn't mean it. It isn't one of the few that's not very findable using either the forum search engine or Google in this case (because of a forum-technical reason). Short words like "LED" and "H4" ARE tougher to search on! In fact, I found it from memory that Justin's increasingly the go-to guy for LED lighting options. So, let it be know the search nazi isn't impervious. ;)

thanks for the link to the fanless. Bought two with the ADV 10% discount.

Interested in your results when you get them installed sir....

I won't be putting them on the 05 unless they choose not to come out with a decent color for 15....

Pics with install would be appreciated for the FJR......

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the link to the fanless. Bought two with the ADV 10% discount.

Interested in your results when you get them installed sir.... I won't be putting them on the 05 unless they choose not to come out with a decent color for 15....

Pics with install would be appreciated for the FJR......
+1!! Pics and impressions please!!!!

I've been contemplating the fanless ones for a couple weeks now. Just haven't pulled the trigger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here, I am installing CW lights soon and if your LED experiment turns out to work well for our bikes this would be the next step for me.

i wasnt happy with the fan idea. Bulbs may last thousands of hours, but if the fan goes?

They are being used on dirt bikes now. They seem to be pretty bullet proof. I haven't heard of any issues. The guys I know running them are doing cross country and enduro races

Very interested in the outcome of this upgrade as I commute at night and put a lot of miles on in the dark. If the beam pattern matches the OEM along with the brighter, whiter light, looks like I'll be in too.

Add me to the list of being VERY interested also!

I have a set of old HID's that have been great lights, But when they burn out, LED is the way for me!

Yep, LED headlights are at the top of my list for this Winters maintance/ upgrade list!
punk.gif

Well the lights are in. Took off some plastic to make the job easier. The right headlight, btw, is a bitch on the genIII. Anyway, the only bits that were tough on the install was once the shield was installed and you had to push the light through the boot and twist on, there was not much room for my fat hands in there to grab the assembly, push forward against the boot, and twist.

Other thing which I am not sure about it the shield in front of the light assembly. I like not blinding oncoming cars, so I left it on. It seems 'asymmetrical' - both in the pair look the same, so I gues sit's supposed to look like that?

On low beams, the light is very nice. On high, they are pointed way too high. No, it's not the headlight adjustment knobs. And the bulbs certainly seem to be in there correctly. But the only time i run the high beams is with the aux LEDs on full so it's like daylight out by that time anyway. Anyone coming the other way will have their retinas seared.

Well the lights are in. Took off some plastic to make the job easier. The right headlight, btw, is a bitch on the genIII. Anyway, the only bits that were tough on the install was once the shield was installed and you had to push the light through the boot and twist on, there was not much room for my fat hands in there to grab the assembly, push forward against the boot, and twist.
Other thing which I am not sure about it the shield in front of the light assembly. I like not blinding oncoming cars, so I left it on. It seems 'asymmetrical' - both in the pair look the same, so I gues sit's supposed to look like that?

On low beams, the light is very nice. On high, they are pointed way too high. No, it's not the headlight adjustment knobs. And the bulbs certainly seem to be in there correctly. But the only time i run the high beams is with the aux LEDs on full so it's like daylight out by that time anyway. Anyone coming the other way will have their retinas seared.
Seems like the vendor on ADVRider seems to be universally recommending NOT installing the "shields". You may want to inquire there.

I did not realize that the shield/cover over the "bulb" was removable. Being an H4, I would think it should be on to mimic the halogen H4 design (the little shield over the low beam filament). Or perhaps it is causing the high beam to be too high? Historically, the high beam has always a little high on Gen. 1 and 2 when the low beam was adjusted right. Is the Gen. 3 the same or did Yamaha fix that with the updated headlight design?

Any way, I'm much more interested in the low beam performance and it sounds like these will do the job nicely. Planning on any pictures??
rolleyes.gif

Latest posts