2006 or 2008

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beary

Reaction score
Hi All, new to FJRs here.

I have found a

2006 FJR with Top Case and CC100 for around $6500 (21000 miles)

or 2008 with no extras (Farkles?) for $7000 (5000 miles)

Is it worth $500 mile more for the newer 08 with 16000 less miles even though it doesn't have the Top Case or CC100? I know miles isn't a big deal on these bikes, but what little I have been learning, Yamaha did a few minor changes and improvements to the 08s.

Both bikes are a 4 hour drive away.

The new guy is looking for wisdom from the experienced.

Thanks

Beary

p.s. the black sure looks awesome.

If I were in the OP's position I'd go for the '06 simply b/c of the cruise control. The wide open spaces of the southwest (hell, even the flatlands of the southeast!) dictate the necessity.

The only downside to the '10 is the distance. Fly me back to NC, and I'll ride it out for ya.

Failing that, '08.

08, I had a 06 and was really twitchy with off/on throttle, you can fix it with a PCV but your MPG will go down. 08 and newer fixed that, my 09 is butter smooth.

Last edited by a moderator:
The black IS awesome on the 2008. Adding a top trunk is very easy. The cruise would be nice though.......

I would pick the '08 all day.

'08 or newer, no question. Too many subtle improvements to buy anything older.
Good luck!

--G
Yes, that is why I posted the question. It's hard though, I'm finding several 06s - 07s for under $7000 that vary from 8000 miles to 38,000 miles that are set up pretty good. Like the one poster said, cruise is nice to have here in the plains. Most of the cornering around here is dodging squirrels. What would it cost me to install a cruise?

As for the 10, the cost of getting to NC and back would bump the price up quite a bit. You tell me, but I don't think there is any appreciable differences between the two bikes and I like the black over the silver.

By the way, I saw one on Craigs where they neck bearing were changed. Are neck bearings a problem in FJRs?

Hey everyone, thanks for the help. I'm kind of getting excited about owning an FJR.

Beary

Beary, I owned both the 06 & the 08. The 06 has an extremely twitchy throttle in stock form, making for very unsmooth canyon carving (corrected by the installation of a Power Commander). The 08 is smooth as glass & also has an updated ABS system. The 08 with only 5,000 miles on it is the one. And everyone knows the FJR looks best in BLACK!

Beary, I owned both the 06 & the 08. The 06 has an extremely twitchy throttle in stock form, making for very unsmooth canyon carving (corrected by the installation of a Power Commander). The 08 is smooth as glass & also has an updated ABS system. The 08 with only 5,000 miles on it is the one. And everyone knows the FJR looks best in BLACK!
This was my experience. I didn't actually own a 06 but rode a couple back to back with my 08 and it was pretty obvious that Yamaha really got it right in 08.

I found and rode an '08 - Steels Cycles in Denver / CList too for under $7K and Black with 24,000 miles (low to me)

-

I found it strange that the '04 I'm on seemed faster. After reading this thread, I agree it's the smoothness of the '08 that is different.

FYI: If curious on this one, no farkles - only aftermarket was the Givi attachment, no top bag.

Good luck shopping

I found and rode an '08 - Steels Cycles in Denver / CList too for under $7K and Black with 24,000 miles (low to me)-

I found it strange that the '04 I'm on seemed faster. After reading this thread, I agree it's the smoothness of the '08 that is different.
I think it is safe to say that your 04 is faster than an 08. The GEN2s have 2.7% higher gearing, more weight, more restrictive exhaust systems and every year seems to be slightly slower than the previous year. The GEN3s in sport mode reverse that trend, at least for now.

The beauty of the FJR is that there is no 'bad' choice.

There have been refinements over the years, and from Gen1 to Gen2 to Gen 3, but the platform is a sound one.

(Have you looked over this: https://www.fjrforum.com/files/fjrcomparo.pdf ?)

Yes, a CC can be added to the 08 for a few hundred dollars - and it is worth every penny! Then, of course, you'll be wanting to add functional farkles to address comfort issues that are specific to your body and type of riding: bar risers, windscreen, seat, lighting, highway pegs, etc. Then there are other upgrades like suspension (no, the stock suspension on the FJR is not bad).

Bottom line - How much can you afford?

If $7k is your limit, buy the 06 (which has CC) and hang on to that last $500 until you have put a few thousand miles on it and know what you need to do to make it 'yours'. The current mileage on that bike is nothing for an FJR!

OTOH, if you have $8k sitting around... Buy the 10!

[Disclaimer: my 03 runs like a top and has CC - which gets a LOT of use.]

It's pretty common knowledge about the throttle issues on the '06-'07 models. While it's certainly fixable, if I had to do it over, I'd probably have looked for an '08 or newer. I must say though that I'm one of the camp that thinks the "07 color is one of the nicest painted.

Farkles can come in time and as the budget allows. Used top boxes pop up now and then and often for a fair price. CC can be added if you desire. My money would go for the '08.

Keep us posted.