2013 first plug change

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesW

JamesW
Reaction score
The plugs came out with 10,200 miles accrued, mostly highway miles (very little stop and go stuff) here in the PNW to BC, Idaho, Montana and Wash. state (home). Bike was running well. Change interval supposedly is 8000miles (EPA related I think). Plugs came out looking good, not much discoloration at all, very light patina (hard to read plugs anymore with what passes for gas)not white or black. Gap is specified at 0.8mm-0.9mm, gage indicated plug to be still almost 0.8 mm, well below the 0.9mm upper limit. I doubt that I will think about changing plugs again for a long time. TBS done, off just a tad bit so not to worry about that for awhile. Changed air filter just because of some of the dense dust clouds ridden through in road construction areas this year, damn 4 wheelers and RVs just barrel along raising hate and discontent. Filter not bad at all after blowing out dust and a few high speed bugs. So I now have a bunch of FYI stuff for myself.

Not that it matters, but my iridium plugs have been in for 32k miles, and the bike starts and runs like a dream. Wondering if we get a little too hyper about following those factory guidelines sometimes. When I pulled my factory plugs at 10k miles, the plugs looked great, the bike ran fine, and it didn't seem to run any better when I put the new ones in.

Just my opinion.

Gary

darksider #44

I found this thread with a search for "iridium"; I'm so proud ;)

Turned 26,000 miles on my 2013 yesterday, and I'm still on the original plugs. But ..... on the way home, it started an occasional stutter. It's just an occasional blip, sometimes barely noticeable and sometimes enough to cause a slight jerk. Plugs are on the menu before the next ride, and I'll check all the electrical connections I can find as well.

Gary, do you have a number for those iridium plugs?

Of course, Gen III plugs. My mistake, I figured since you were asking a Luddite like Gary, you could use the old ones.
punk.gif

I'd be surprised if a set of plugs with only 26k miles is the cause of the stutter.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, you're changing the plugs at 26k miles, but no valve check plans? (Psssst! It's due)

I still don't think there are any iridium plugs available for the 3rd gens just yet, which is kind of too bad since they would be better able to make use of the hard center electrode than earlier gens with wasted spark ignitions.

But it matters not. The plugs will come out for doing the 26k valve check (to make it easier to turn the engine over) so that is a perfect time to replace them. And since the standard plugs seem to last at least 26k miles (as predicted) we're golden!

So, you're changing the plugs at 26k miles, but no valve check plans? (Psssst! It's due)

I still don't think there are any iridium plugs available for the 3rd gens just yet, which is kind of too bad since they would be better able to make use of the hard center electrode than earlier gens with wasted spark ignitions.

But it matters not. The plugs will come out for doing the 26k valve check (to make it easier to turn the engine over) so that is a perfect time to replace them. And since the standard plugs seem to last at least 26k miles (as predicted) we're golden!
Yes, that's what I meant in post 8. I'd intended to change plugs with the first valve check anyway which isn't due for another 590 miles or so ;)