Carb Sync tool

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregory

Great things are afoot
Reaction score
Greeting all.

After a bit of searching, it seems like the Morgan Carbtune is to tool to buy unless I missed something.

TIA,

Greg

You are correct.

Buy it now. The pound is weak and the price is as good as you are likely to get.

If you don't need to own one, I have two and would be glad to loan you one.
smile.png

Thanks guys,

Ray, I really appreciate your offer, and will probably take you up on it. all I have to do is figure out how to do the sync first. (I know that there are several step by step how to's here.)

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just received mine in the mail this week. Worked great. Finished my first sync 10 minutes ago and am waiting for the engine to cool down right now to button it back up. followed all the advice on FJRforum and watched a youtube vid or two... easy. The only problem I had was getting that damn nipple cap off cylinder #2. PITA under those hoses.

Can't wait to take it for a ride. MIne were not out of spec all that much. Just a bit.

Thanks guys,
Ray, I really appreciate your offer, and will probably take you up on it. all I have to do is figure out how to do the sync first. (I know that there are several step by step how to's here.)

Greg
I'm sure for a very reasonable professional fee, Ray could give you a complete tutorial if you have time to ride up to LaPine. It doesn't get any better than working in Ray's garage.

Thanks guys,

Greg
Take a look HERE.
Looks like a pretty good tutorial, but if I remember correctly, didn't the Gen ll's use #3 as the baseline TB? An also if I remember correctly, on my 08 I had to adjust the #3 air screw to achieve proper idle speed. Lots of difference from Gen ll to Gen lll with ride by wire throttle though. The shop manual is a little vague on which TB is the base.

"Using the throttle body that has the bypass air screw "1" with a white paint mark as the standard, adjust the other throttle bodies by turning its bypass screw in or out."

I have been in the engine bay to install the Wynpro block off plates, but did not notice which TB had the white paint mark on it.

Also, has any one had any issues with the Gen lll having too low or high idle speed? The shop manual goes on about hooking up the "Yamaha diagnostic tool" and checking the idle speed control leaning (translation??) value. WTF? My 14 runs and idles fine, so I am not going to mess with it until there is more verifiable information. In the meantime, my Morgan Carbtune will sit idle. (Pun not intended)

Thanks guys,

Greg
Take a look HERE.
Thanks Howie, that's exactly what I was looking for since all the step by step's I was thinking about were for Gen I & II's

Thanks guys,

Greg
Take a look HERE.
Looks like a pretty good tutorial, but if I remember correctly, didn't the Gen ll's use #3 as the baseline TB? An also if I remember correctly, on my 08 I had to adjust the #3 air screw to achieve proper idle speed. Lots of difference from Gen ll to Gen lll with ride by wire throttle though. The shop manual is a little vague on which TB is the base.

"Using the throttle body that has the bypass air screw "1" with a white paint mark as the standard, adjust the other throttle bodies by turning its bypass screw in or out."

I have been in the engine bay to install the Wynpro block off plates, but did not notice which TB had the white paint mark on it.

Also, has any one had any issues with the Gen lll having too low or high idle speed? The shop manual goes on about hooking up the "Yamaha diagnostic tool" and checking the idle speed control leaning (translation??) value. WTF? My 14 runs and idles fine, so I am not going to mess with it until there is more verifiable information. In the meantime, my Morgan Carbtune will sit idle. (Pun not intended)
Yea,

I was wondering if the RBW would alter anything. I am in the process of getting all the necessary items for this task, Sync tool, Wynpro block off plates and Manual, so I have some time to get it all figured out. I didn't watch all of Howies video (just kind of skipped through it for now as I am somewhat time pressed this morning) yet, so I don't know it the guy addresses the idle speed issue or not.

Thanks everybody!

One more lesson learned. If you are thinking of leaving the little clips off the vaccum nipples when putting them back on... I suggest you put them back on. Pre fit them on the rubber cap before attempting to put them on. Not for clamping it on.... for fishing it out of the engine when you drop it deep inside!!! Darn #2 cylinder. :) Glad I pre fit the clip on the rubber piece. I was able to fish it out of the bowels of the engine with a telescoping magnet.

Whomever on FJR Forum that mentioned putting safety wire on the clips when handling them must have learned the hard way too. And he kept me from that frustration. THANK YOU!!.

One more lesson learned. If you are thinking of leaving the little clips off the vaccum nipples when putting them back on... I suggest you put them back on. Pre fit them on the rubber cap before attempting to put them on. Not for clamping it on.... for fishing it out of the engine when you drop it deep inside!!! Darn #2 cylinder. :) Glad I pre fit the clip on the rubber piece. I was able to fish it out of the bowels of the engine with a telescoping magnet.
Whomever on FJR Forum that mentioned putting safety wire on the clips when handling them must have learned the hard way too. And he kept me from that frustration. THANK YOU!!.
That sounds exactly like the kind of this I would will do, thanks for the tip!

I guess I have a death wish.. I've been using a mercury manometer for 25 years now.

Never once in that time has calibrating it been an issue. Not rods to hang up or other silly shit. Just plug it in and it works. I use several for different types for calibration.

But then again I'm old school, Never much gave a fuk what the EPA says.

I guess I have a death wish.. I've been using a mercury manometer for 25 years now.
Never once in that time has calibrating it been an issue. Not rods to hang up or other silly shit. Just plug it in and it works. I use several for different types of calibration.

Don't hate on the young-uns. Mercury is a hazardous material we can't buy anymore Barry. While it's fun to roll the silver balls of liquid metal in your hands, today's youngsters will never know the bliss of playing with mercury. Nothing measures Inches-mercury like the old gear, but the Carbtune with solid metal rods at least gives a decent idea if the vacuum is equal.

In my next post, I'll pontificate about the joys of playing with lead and asbestos. Ahhh, the good old days!

why you gotta rain on my parade Tom?

fuck.gif

How aboot you roll me left ball in yer hand?
:fuck: :fuck:

Never once in that time has calibrating it been an issue. Not rods to hang up or other silly shit. Just plug it in and it works. I use several for different types of calibration.

Dad has one that I remember hanging in his shop as a kid. One day, it will hang in mine

I enjoy mercury, but for other uses:

1sJ5x3.jpg

I picked up a Carbtune Pro for $75 locally, I'll finally be using it for the first time today! (The BMW didn't have vacuum ports)