'04w/187K Cross-country trip update

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazelle

Reaction score
Had a great "Labor Day Marathon" ... 6450 miles...from Greenville, SC; Banff NP, BC, Yellowstone West to East, Beartooth Pass. Big Horn Scenic Byway, et al. Left w/179,500..returned w/186,003 on the ODO. 4 days 800-900 miles. Absolutely no problems with the bike. Lots of 85-95+ cruising. Amazing how "ordinary" those speeds seem after a while with balanced tires, smooth roads, and little cross-winds. But certainly takes its toll on MPG. Several stops at 34/34/35 MPG. Trip avg was 40+ MPG. Avg gas price about $3.50.New PR2's...front still looks great...rear now has about 7400K and probably good for another 1000K. My "normal" mileage is 5-6K on a SET riding lots of Western NC & E. TN backroads. Only "engine":related repair in 187K was replacement of the clutch slave cyclinder. Last valve check was at 98K....still in spec with no prior adjustments. Bike idles smoothly, still gets about 44 MPG on a regular basis. My 3rd FJR....1 '03, 2 04's..probably close to 400K totla on the three...(plus 39K on an ST1300 I tried between the '04's)

I've pretty much decided to ride it til something breaks that doesn't make sense economically to repair...ECM or the engine...though I guess you might finfd an ECM salvage ?

Wow that's some trip! Though I would only survive at half that pace. I have done long rides, but I certainly don't have your stamina.

I'd like to get back to the northwest. Im shooting for 2016...2015 is taking me in other directions.

Wow that is awesome. I was proud of 2654 miles on our trip two weeks ago but you make me look like a JV in this world. Were you on the stock seat? I found after the 3rd day no issue at all with the stock seat. In fact, I could ride 600-700 today and not have an issue. I think after a month I'll feel it again if I'm not putting out the miles. Wife was fine but would like a more comfortable seat for the all day rides.

Great to hear of someone using the bike. No reason to keep them sitting around.

I've never had a problem with the stock seats and I've done a 6-7K mile labor day trip almost every year since I bought the original '03 new. As far as the high mileage there are several factors to consider. I travel solo which allows me to go at my own chosen speed so to speak. Rarely do I eat a meal during the day....soft drink & crackers at a gas stop at least once per day. (My "reward" is a good meal at a "nice" locally-owned restaurant at day's end.) I'm used to riding as I log about 40K/yr...all FUN miles, weekends, 1 long trip/yr....I do not commute on the bike (2 miles from work...which is still full time.) Early spring through late Fall I usually ride 800-900/week. I do ride all winter, weather permitting but generally avoid a lot of the backroads..too much salt and or sand to worry about. For what it's worth here's my per day miles: 565 (left at noon from work), 880,838,569,624,560,758,865,558,234 (1/2 day)

Final thought: Be VERY thankful you have someone to share your ride with. I'd trade 6k miles for 2K and a good companion in a heartbeat !!