Event data recorder question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbacon

Reaction score
I read an interesting article in the October RIDER magazine about 2014 motorcycles having Event Data Recorders (EDR) installed as a kind of "black box" to record data from an accident that could be used to prove liability (such as excessive speed) or to influence warranty claims. Some 2014 Honda and Kawi models were listed as having such devices. Other manufactures named, such as Yamaha seemed a little evasive in responding to editor Tuttle's request for comment. Yikes! I have a 2014 Yamaha FJR that I wonder about--especially since I might have exceeded posted limits once or twice. Anybody have accurate information about the device on the newer generations?

They can take the black box and put it where the sun don't shine.

They have already have been installed on several manufactures motorcycles. I suggest doing a Google search to educate yourself as to what is going on with motorcycle manufactures

The Black Box Privacy Protection Act H.R. 2414 Has been proposed. The easy and convent way to contact your representatives regarding this bill is to go to the AMA website.

Enough is enough this is just another way for big brother to encroach on our privacy and use black box technology against us.

I for one would NOT own a motorcycle or an automobile equipped with black box technology.

Here is the text for bill H.R.2414.IH

https://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c113:H.R.2414.IH:

Couldn't find if that had been passed yet, but if it does it would require manufacturers to disclose to a purchaser the presence of an EDR and give the owner the ability to enable/disable the recorder.

This is the another BS privacy invasion of Big Brother wanting to control from the outside.

You guys gotta chill with the conspiracy theory shit. Cars have had data recorders for years. Volvo started that shit and EVERYONE followed suite. If you own anything less that about 15 years old, think OBDII, your car probably has one.

They do not record every event the car ever sees. They are on a constant loop that will only record a certain time frame before a crash that either reaches a sensor limit or sets off the airbags. Say, 20 seconds.

The recorder will show things like throttle position, seatbelt use, braking, speed, and gear, but only for the 20 seconds preceding the triggering event. It is VERY hard to get the info from them. No one will turn it over without a warrant, and I've never seen a judge sign a warrant for one that did not involve a fatality or Great Bodily Harm.

A MC box would probably be activated by a accelerometer and maybe a lean angle sensor. As in, unless the bike decelerates at 2Gs or more, indicating an impact, the data is not stored.

Volvo began using them to test their cars' safety, but the data became a good law enforcement tool. However, the data only supplements a good investigation. That data, by itself is pretty benign because of the way our courts work. By the time any of my guys or I pull a black box, we already know what it's gonna say. It's best use is to prevent defense attorneys from claiming we are full of shit after some reckless driver kills your family at an intersection.

Using it for warranty claims would be stupid. What's Yamaha gonna say? "We're not honoring this broken bag claim because the owner rode above the speed limit once?" Having enough memory to store all of a vehicle's activity would be cost prohibitive. Real life and the SciFi channel are two very different things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love 'em or hate 'em they are here to stay.

On a side note, they saved Toyota a bunch of money and litigation when they proved idiots were at fault with the whole stuck throttle a couple years back.

To be honest? I'm glad.. Too many morons behind the wheel.

You can regain some small level of ownership of your data with one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AJ42TWY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Short of removing the actual BB from your vehicle, this seems to work pretty well.
Yup, more dipshits trying to profit from overly paranoid dorks. That box does not give the owner ANY more security than one already has. Let's say it like this: you have a high speed safe in your house. Better than any on the market and no one can see what's inside. You are totally protected. Until I show up at your house with a warrant, and pay some guy to use a plasma cutter to open that safe and show me everything I wanna see. That box has the same limits. It's easily craked, and once a warrant is signed, the data is mine. If you think manufacturers don't know how to back door their own boxes, you're crazy!

Is that amazon thingy is just a key lock for the DLC connector? So you could just cut the wires and wire in a new DLC connector to bypass (or use the aux connector on the computer, or a BT connection)?

<never mind this part>

I so want to answer these but I've spent 10 minutes unsuccessfully trying to figure out how to not make it political.

I so want to answer these but I've spent 10 minutes unsuccessfully trying to figure out how to not make it political.
You can try as some try and tack an FJR to the end of it ham-handedly even if it doesn't actually apply. For example:

Political spew point, religious rant, jab at a federally elected office past or present, poke at a partisan party,
innuendo about an ideology.....all while riding a 2004 FJR that ticks.
I would just note that we can do politics on this board--if it's directly related to motorcycle--and preferably actually about FJRs.

Rather amazingly I find myself thinking otherwise-twitchy-and-may-have-been-a-tiny-bit-harsh-on-your-idea AJ has it best summarized otherwise.
smile.png

You guys gotta chill with the conspiracy theory shit. Cars have had data recorders for years. Volvo started that shit and EVERYONE followed suite. If you own anything less that about 15 years old, think OBDII, your car probably has one. They do not record every event the car ever sees. They are on a constant loop that will only record a certain time frame before a crash that either reaches a sensor limit or sets off the airbags. Say, 20 seconds.

The recorder will show things like throttle position, seatbelt use, braking, speed, and gear, but only for the 20 seconds preceding the triggering event. It is VERY hard to get the info from them. No one will turn it over without a warrant, and I've never seen a judge sign a warrant for one that did not involve a fatality or Great Bodily Harm.

A MC box would probably be activated by a accelerometer and maybe a lean angle sensor. As in, unless the bike decelerates at 2Gs or more, indicating an impact, the data is not stored.

Volvo began using them to test their cars' safety, but the data became a good law enforcement tool. However, the data only supplements a good investigation. That data, by itself is pretty benign because of the way our courts work. By the time any of my guys or I pull a black box, we already know what it's gonna say. It's best use is to prevent defense attorneys from claiming we are full of shit after some reckless driver kills your family at an intersection.

Using it for warranty claims would be stupid. What's Yamaha gonna say? "We're not honoring this broken bag claim because the owner rode above the speed limit once?" Having enough memory to store all of a vehicle's activity would be cost prohibitive. Real life and the SciFi channel are two very different things.
I knew it!!! You are part of the conspiracy.......

You can try as some try and tack an FJR to the end of it ham-handedly even if it doesn't actually apply. For example:

Political spew point, religious rant, jab at a federally elected office past or present, poke at a partisan party,

innuendo about an ideology.....all while riding a 2004 FJR that ticks.

I would just note that we can do politics on this board--if it's directly related to motorcycle--and preferably actually about FJRs.

Rather amazingly I find myself thinking otherwise-twitchy-and-may-have-been-a-tiny-bit-harsh-on-your-idea AJ has it best summarized otherwise. :)
I'm sorry Bounce if I was overly harsh. That wasn't my intent. Not towards you anyway. My irritation is with the guys selling that lovk, giving false information to potential buyers. Kinda like the purveyors of deer whistles. Lol...

AND if I WAS part of the conspiracy, I would have way more money!!