Almost perfect day to Back of the Dragon

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJF-FJR

Reaction score
Just got back from a 400 mile ride to do the Back of the Dragon. The sky was baby blue with some big puffy clouds and the temps were mid-70's for most of the ride.

Started on 64 out of Lexington, va, which is really not a bad stretch for a highway. In Covington I got on Route 18S which was a lot of fun. Lots of fast sweepers, some that felt like 360 degrees, as it swoops along Potts creek, but there were some surprise twisty parts and switchbacks. This lead to 311 south from Paint Bank, up and over Potts mountain. Great ride only dampened by a geezer out for a slow drive. Would have been awesome at speed. Then onto 42 at New Castle for nice rolling hills and pastoral views. A short stretch on 460 then a short stretch of 100 from Pearisburg to Narrows. This was a lot more fun than it looked like on the map. The longest stretch was 61 out to Tazewell, which was another fast, beautiful road that goes along with Wolf Creek and some harder parts thrown in from time to time. Thought the Dragon was fun, though I'm not really good at 2nd gear hairpins yet and I got stuck behind slower people at some of the places that I could have rode better, but I think I liked some of the lead-up roads better. But the only real let down was 2 plus hours on 81 to try to get home in time for dinner. Didn't make it home before the wife went to work so I'm not sure if she is talking to me or not.

Can't wait to do 311 again, maybe all the way from 81 to 64 in West Virginia. And I know Bungie recommended taking 16 to 58 out to Damascus. Shouldn't have tried so hard to get home on time, then I could have done 58 on this trip, but it looks like I will have to find another day to do that one. Don't want to push my luck too much as I'm leaving the wife again next weekend if the weather is good; taking advantage of the free entrance day to ride Skyline Drive. As much as I enjoy the peace and quiet, its better to come home to a happy wife than an angry one. Divorce would just eat into money better spent on farkles.

All in all, a highly enjoyable day!

Dude.. You made my day!!! About time somebody posted something bedsides the never ending boring reports about the 17 thousand curves in 11 miles.

Good on ya for taking the advice of others and not re hashing that god damned waste of time!

Which Hwy # is "The Back of the Dragon"? I was close to the West Virginia/Kentucky/Virginia border area last week and ran out of time to get into what looked like some wonderful roads over that way. Pop and I left there with every intention of getting back into that area one day.

Bust, you are aware the Back of the Dragon and the Tail of the Dragon are two different roads I suppose? I know you hate the Tail of the Dragon but it is not really that bad if you pick your time. You can't blame the road for the stupidity that takes place there.

I have rough plans to be in the Marion Va area Tuesday afternoon. Planning on crashing somewhere around Bristol.

Wanting to find time to check out 421 The Snake while in the area.

I plan to be on the road eastbound on Friday, and will take it to the Blue Ridge, then head south to Maggie Valley. Should be a fun day.

Yep..... I'm going back as soon as I can also.

We rode 4 days and got in 1015 miles and my wife actually had a good time.