2003 windshield motor........

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foshow150

Reaction score
Well boys and girls, I put the windshield all the way down and there she stays, I still hear a click under that little panel after I hit the button up, but the bracket is frozen in place and time. The windshield did shuder on it's final voyage downward with the 50 mph head wind that I was taking for 3 hours. Any ideas to resolve this issue? can you just pull the cone without taking all the plastic off?

Carl !! Do you need a parts bike?

Last edited by a moderator:
The windshield motor simply turns a threaded rod. a piece rides that thread up and down, and in turn shoves the windshield bracket up and down. It may just need a little lubing up. Spray white grease is great.

Look at this post, starting at the 7th picture. Remove the windshield, the W bracket it mounts to, and that little panel in the nose. You might be able to get that panel off with just the windshield removed and the bracket still in place, I don't know. You should be able to see the drive motor, The threaded rod is oriented vertically, just spray some white grease on it, down where the part rides it, through the tube that came with the spray can of the grease.

If it doesn't free up, then you're off to removing the nose using the rest of that post. I'm told you can get the nose off without doing the lower sides, just the black inner panels and then the three upper bolts on each side fairing, then start in that post where the mirrors come off.

One thought, do the Gen Is have a rubber "washer" that the arms slide through? If so, has that screwed up and is jamming the mechanism? This has happened on Gen IIs, and would be consistent with the "juddering" on its final voyage.

The windshield motor simply turns a threaded rod. a piece rides that thread up and down, and in turn shoves the windshield bracket up and down. It may just need a little lubing up. Spray white grease is great.
Look at this post, starting at the 7th picture. Remove the windshield, the W bracket it mounts to, and that little panel in the nose. You might be able to get that panel off with just the windshield removed and the bracket still in place, I don't know. You should be able to see the drive motor, The threaded rod is oriented vertically, just spray some white grease on it, down where the part rides it, through the tube that came with the spray can of the grease.

If it doesn't free up, then you're off to removing the nose using the rest of that post. I'm told you can get the nose off without doing the lower sides, just the black inner panels and then the three upper bolts on each side fairing, then start in that post where the mirrors come off.
That arm that is fully retracted and lowered into the body of the nose will not do that on my bike. It is above the plastic and solidly staying there. I will look at it tonight and give you an update.

update:

All rubber is accounted for, the bar is frozen in the lowered position, nothing will move it....... push the button crank up on the bar and nada, good news though=, there is one new part in america and it goes for 620.00........ i can't really see the drive rod or anything to grease ....

If you can't get the windshield bracket off, a new motor isn't gonna help much, because you can't install it with the nose in place. I would wager that once the nose is off, somehow, the problem will be readily apparent, and maybe fixable without a whole new motor.

I'd also bet you could source one somewhere else used if you had to have one.

I say what is the worst that could happen? Take the drive out, take it apart, see what happened. It may be as simple as the cable that converts rotary to linear motion got jacked.

the bracket is in a place where i think I can get the nose off, and believe me this would be done if we weren't in the process of selling our house!!! yah!! So I will attempt a disection and see if my wife can assist with posting a few pictures....

Thank you all again wonderful support for the best machine I ever had....

YOU WOULD NEVER BELIEVE THIS.... After 1 week or so and 42 cans of PBR drank by my self and 4 others, combined with some foul words and wiggling the metal bracket, the damn this started working last night around 5:15 pm .... Going to get some white grease and button the bike back up, but man thats WEIRD... Anyway thanks for all that chimed in...... Hopefuly not to be continued....

SO COOL! I am glad to here that. Now, what caused it and how to prevent it from happening again. Maybe watch ebay for a REALLY good deal just in case.

1 week, 42 beers, and 4 people?? I'm I the only one who see's a problem here?
bleh.gif
lol2.gif

Well the issue is back, it gets caught up at the bottom with the windsheild retracted. It really stinks. I was able to crack it free, white lithum grease is on order but it seem the motor and switch work fine, just the gear screw in which the bracket travels up and down seems to be missing a tooth or two........... RATS....

Yeah, might need to remove now,

it may be the bottom end stop switch is not stopping it and the motor is jamming is too far down. Have you disabled the auto-retract system? Then all you have to do is not set it to full down on your own. There are multiple threads on this and it is easy.