2013 Saddlebag problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddie

Reaction score
I searched but didnt see anything. Im having a problem with the left saddle bag on my 2013. The latch doesnt want to go into the fully closed position. It will latch but the latch sticks up. Im am very careful with closing the bags and have never closed them with anything in the way. I sprayed wd40 into the latches where you can see them when open. No difference at all. Any ideas? Forgive me if this has been addressed before.

ed

Have you tried pulling up the catch locks up at the same time your pushing down on the latch? Does it close all the way with that assist? If so, I'd keep working on lubricating that area to get gunk out.

Or, did you force it at some point and feel a pop? You said you've been careful, but I did it myself pushing a bit too much. If so, I think that's much bigger an issue....one I got covered under warranty about 8 years ago.

The latch has a plastic gear/cam mechanism in there, and it sounds like you slipped a tooth. If that's the case (sorry, no pun intended) try a warranty claim, because there's no getting inside there. If the case closes and latches but you can't push the latch plate down far enough to lock, that's the most likely problem.

Check to see if the lock latch is still held in place by the two small screws. If they are loose and/or one is missing it could cause the latching mechanism to be difficult. Regardless of what you find, put some LocTite on the screws.

It will latch but it is pulling up on the plastic part that it latches to. I dont remember ever feeling a pop or anything when closing it. I have had the bike for over a year. Wonder if there is any chance they will cover it anyway? I have about 9500 miles on the bike. Again it latches but the handle doesnt feel right. When latched it is sticking up some because it is pulling up on the plastic part that it latches to. I dont feel good about it. Who knows maybe I did damage it somehow. Had my Gen 1 bike and never had a problem the whole time I had it.

ed

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it latch without issue when the case is OFF the bike and nothing inside the case? This will determine if your problem is the mechanism or an obstacle. If it works off the bike then check the hole where the tab protrudes out of the back fo the case when the latch is closed in the down position. Just some thoughts...

Nope. It feels the same off or on the bike. I got a bad feeling the latch mechanism has jumped a tooth like was posted on here. The more I think about it the more I think the latch did pop at one time. Gonna call the dealer tomorrow and see if they will help. If that doesnt work Im gonna call Yamaha customer service.

ed

Are we on the same page with eddie? I believe he is talking about the lid latch, and not the latch for holding the bag on the bike. Seems like we are giving advise on the latter. What say ye eddie?

Yes its the lid latch. Called selling dealer. No help at all. Called yamaha customer service also no help. I love the bike and I loved my 2005 but very dissappointed with after the sale and after warranty assistance. I have been a tech for Ford dealers for 30 years and we help customers after the warranty is out lots of times. Dealer was rude and no help and so was customer service. I was very nice to both thinking I might have a better chance of getting help. I kinda feel like a bike as advanced as the 2013 should carry a longer warranty. I should of bought extended warranty

Can you explain the problem differently? I can't visualize what is going on with your saddlebag the way you have described it. A picture or two would speak a thousand words as well! Do the bags actually close and latch fully, but the tab with the lock on it will not go down all the way to lock it in place? Will the tab with the lock on it go down all the way if you don't close the lid? We need more info and hopefully some pics. I am at work now but this evening I am gonna look at my bags and see if we can figure this out.

I should of bought extended warranty
Yeah, you probably should have. The less than $400 cost of a YES warranty for four additional years would have more than paid for just this one side bag. And I'm sure it would have covered it as well. :)

It *might* be possible to disassemble a bag to unpop it, but I haven't been into one to know how it all works myself.

Yeah, you probably should have. The less than $400 cost of a YES warranty for four additional years would have more than paid for just this one side bag. And I'm sure it would have covered it as well.
smile.png

It *might* be possible to disassemble a bag to unpop it, but I haven't been into one to know how it all works myself.
Let's not jump to conclusions till we have more info from eddie
no2.gif
!

Yeah, you probably should have. The less than $400 cost of a YES warranty for four additional years would have more than paid for just this one side bag. And I'm sure it would have covered it as well.
smile.png

Let's not jump to conclusions till we have more info from eddie
no2.gif
!
I don't think I am jumping with the warranty part of the post, "I kinda feel like a bike as advanced as the 2013 should carry a longer warranty." This leads me to believe he bought his bike more than 12 months ago and is out of the base warranty period.

Can you explain the problem differently? I can't visualize what is going on with your saddlebag the way you have described it. A picture or two would speak a thousand words as well! Do the bags actually close and latch fully, but the tab with the lock on it will not go down all the way to lock it in place? Will the tab with the lock on it go down all the way if you don't close the lid? We need more info and hopefully some pics. I am at work now but this evening I am gonna look at my bags and see if we can figure this out.
Yes, more information, please. If the latch is just sticking up a little bit, that's normal. Mine never have closed flush with the top of the cases. WBill

I will post pics when i get home. Also if anyone has a crashed saddle bag I would love to have it to see how it would come apart. Yeah its out of warranty. Yeah I wish I would of bought the extended warranty. I planned on buying it but I just spaced it off and forgot. My mom has been very sick and passed away last tuesday so my brain has been on other things for quite a while. When latching the left bag it has tension on it and wont stay flush at all. My right bag isnt flush but its not trying to spring open. The left bag where it latches there is a plastic piece riveted to the bag. That plastic piece is being pulled up by the latch because there is constant pressure on it to unlatch. I would love to have a crashed bag and see if it comes apart. I could buy a rough one and transfer the latch if it comes apart.

ed

The bags only come apart destructively. There is a thread where a bag was sawzalled apart and the locking tab mechanism examined. I believe that it is possible to pop the tab back out and the thread shows how. If I get a chance later I will see if I can find the thread, I believe it was those crazy Canucks that did the deed. Big time consuming thrash to get ready for 2 weeks in Ca, leaving in a few days.

Edit: I got lucky and had a quick hit on my search, read all about the latch in this thread.

The anatomy of your Gen 3 is different from my Gen I but do check to see that item 94 is present at the bottom of the bag mount, your Gen 3 should have something similar.

BagBracket.jpg

I'm not clear about the OP's problem. If the bag closes and locks, you need to ensure the bag is secure to the bike. Is it loose? Pull up on it and wiggle it, if the studs that mount into the subframe pull out....you have a problem, without mods or repair the bag could fall off. My problem was caused by a slipped tooth, YES warranty replaced the bag. There are old threads here about drilling holes and installing a safety bolt thru the fork on the bag that seats on the lower rubber mounts. That should prevent a bag departure if you don't fix the locking problem.

Bill