Leaf Peeping 2014

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvtoride

My Indian name is "Pants On Fire"
Reaction score
Hey everyone, looking to get some discussion going on about this... my favorite motorcycle trip of the year is approaching.

I've had 2 folks PM me about this trip, already. Our favorite Canuck, Rob & Fixedblade (Navarre). Rob states that the weekend of Oct. 18th would be good for him. Navarre says he has vacation starting the 13th... so, assuming the weekend of the 18th would be good for him. I'm going to throw in a vote for the same weekend as them. So, 3 votes for the weekend of the 18th.

Also to be decided is our home base for peeping weekend. I'm aware that we normally stay @ Old Clark Inn. Robert (Slick50) proposed the possibility of meeting in Staunton, VA... so, I'm throwing that out there for folks to ponder.

I'd expect that Staunton would allow for a good peeping area. Rte 250, 39, 56 just to name a couple. Robert says he's aware of a hotel with extremely cheap rates, also.

So, about this subject... what say ya'll?

Edited to add list of attendees:

Rob (Favorite Canuck)

Robert (Slk50) & he always brings @ least one son

CJF-FJR

Navarre (Fixedblade)

Gary (VABikebreaker)

Heidi & guest (luvtoride)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm all in for this. Oct 17-19 works for me.

Once again I'll reccommend Staunton. It's ON 250! Makes a loop of

250, 28, ( or 220 ), 39 & the BRP an excellent day ride.

Bike friendly Howard Johnsons is cheap and within walking distance

of downtown where there's plenty of great food.

I can do that ride, though I will do it as day trips. I'm close enough to Staunton to commute, rather than stay over.

Hi Navarre, good news man! Time to get this yearly meet together... Gonna add a list of attendees to the top post.

I had a sneak preview of the turning leaves @ EOM this past weekend. I saw lots of spots that we're turning. By no means were they peeking... but some pretty color for sure. I'm sure were in for some pretty color.

I asked Robert to put some info up on this secret squirrel hotel that he's aware of.

Does anyone else want to join us? We'll be basing the ride out of Staunton, VA. I'm expecting this will be a very, very cool trip (as in fun... as usual).

Hell yeah I want to join! Unfortunately, work has me pinned down(as expected) Y'all have fun and take some good pictures!

I'm definitely bummed to hear, Bob.

Wish I could too...but have other things going on that weekend. Have fun...guess I'll see you next year, unless we can get something together for Thanksgiving weekend.

Oh, since I have yet to hear from Robert, gonna go ahead & post info for the hotel so folks can go ahead & make a reservation:

Howard Johnsons

268 north central ave

staunton va

Phone #: 1-540-886-5330

Hey Heidi,

You guys enjoy the ride. Kim and I were just up in that area on the EOM weekend, but we met with some unfavorable road conditions just west of Welch, WV. We were on the Goldwing heading to central KY and had just turned off 52 onto 16 past Welch. We went through a blind right hander and into an immediate left hand curve and hit a patch of gravel that ended up sending us off the road. The wing ended up in the ditch, and according to Progressive, is totaled. I ended up with some sore ribs, but Kim ended up breaking her lower leg in several places. We ended up having a LONG ambulance ride all the way to Charleston WV to the main trauma center where she had to have surgery on 9/27. They had to place a rod and about 12 screws to hold everything back together. I will say our gear did everything it was supposed to. Neither one of us got a cut or a scrape and both of us only ended up with a couple of small bruises. Unfortunately, Kim just got her leg caught somehow on the side we went down on. ATGATT Folks.

Yea Kim (we) has a long recovery ahead. Surgeon in WV said she had to stay off the leg (with no weight on it) for at least 8 weeks. We go to a local doctor/surgeon on Monday to get her treatment switched to here in Atlanta. If you are so inclined, we'll take any and all prayers and/or good mojo. She is in pretty good spirits but is getting bored just sitting at home all day.

Absolutely... prayers will be said for both of you. I bet she's bored. I'm happy that you're here telling us about it yourself.

About our peeping... we'll likely be more than half in VA. We'll be in WV without doubt... will definitely be looking out for gravel.

Absolutely... prayers will be said for both of you. I bet she's bored. I'm happy that you're here telling us about it yourself.
I passed this along to Kim and she said she might be a cabin pu$$y, but she says she is tough and is hanging in there.
smile.png