2014-09-27 San Bernardino Mountain Tour

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chameleon

Reaction score
I LOVE the banner on your website with all the bikes!

Your "rules" page reminds me why I do not like to go on group rides: You just never know how skilled and rational your riding partners are, so I just say "no thanks" to open-to-everyone group rides and just go out with a few known friends.

But that's just me. It's cool you put out the big invite....

Last edited by a moderator:
Your "rules" page reminds me why I do not like to go on group rides: You just never know how skilled and rational your riding partners are, so I just say "no thanks" to open-to-everyone group rides and just go out with a few known friends.

Thanks; I worked hard on the site!

We're a pretty tight-knit group, but I'd like to get some new riders with fresh ideas and suggestions. Some of the members are getting older and encountering health issues; in fact that's the reason I've inherited the group. As a result, I'm trying to drum up interest so we can have more people attending regularly. Not everyone can make it to every ride, so if more are invited, we're more likely to have more than 2 or 3 riders.

What specifically about the rules do you dislike? The fact that some of it needs to be stated at all? If so, I do agree, but I realize that "Common Sense" is extinct; it simply doesn't exist anymore (if it ever did), so we have to spell a few things out to make sure everybody knows what to expect and is expected of them.

I would probably be interested in rides near my area. I spend winters in my home in Bermuda Dunes, 14 miles SE of Palm Springs unless Oryguns are not allowed

Will be down there in late October with my new Wee-Strom.

Jer

Thanks; I worked hard on the site!

We're a pretty tight-knit group, but I'd like to get some new riders with fresh ideas and suggestions. Some of the members are getting older and encountering health issues; in fact that's the reason I've inherited the group. As a result, I'm trying to drum up interest so we can have more people attending regularly. Not everyone can make it to every ride, so if more are invited, we're more likely to have more than 2 or 3 riders.

What specifically about the rules do you dislike? The fact that some of it needs to be stated at all? If so, I do agree, but I realize that "Common Sense" is extinct; it simply doesn't exist anymore (if it ever did), so we have to spell a few things out to make sure everybody knows what to expect and is expected of them.
Not saying there was anything about your rules I didn't like. I think it's good to be clear about expectations. I was just saying that reading the rules reminded me that there are a lot of folks with different ideas about riding and riding in groups, and it can make for a lot of wild cards.

I would probably be interested in rides near my area. I spend winters in my home in Bermuda Dunes, 14 miles SE of Palm Springs unless Oryguns are not allowed
Will be down there in late October with my new Wee-Strom.

Jer
Awesome, we'd be glad to have you along! Another member has a V-Strom and a Goldwing, but mostly uses the V-Strom unless his wife comes along for the ride.

Not saying there was anything about your rules I didn't like. I think it's good to be clear about expectations. I was just saying that reading the rules reminded me that there are a lot of folks with different ideas about riding and riding in groups, and it can make for a lot of wild cards.
Is there anything I have listed on the Rules page that you think could be stated better or more clearly? Anything to add?

Perhaps I should rename it to "Ride Guidelines" since "Rules" is kind of negative and contrary to the intent of keeping things fun.

The one bold item about never passing the lead was added due to a particular member having a penchant for passing the ride leader when it wasn't himself, missing turns, and in general being annoying... He was the leader of the entire group/club so I couldn't really tell him to piss off, even though I wanted to. However, now that he has stepped down from the position, I may tone that item down or remove it entirely since nobody else exhibits that behavior.

I guess now you mention it I was surprised about that never pass the leader line. And maybe you're right about guidelines vs. rules. I don't recall if you stated why you have the rules--i.e., to ensure safety, fun, etc.

One of the things that we started doing in NorCal was have "shared destination" rides. We let go of the notion that all had to stay together, and focused on sharing the timing, route, and destination. Then it was up to all to participate as fit them best, and less concern about losing folks at intersections. But again, I don't group ride much anymore (and in fact the whole NorCal contingent seems to be going through a silent period).

The ride went really well! There were 9 riders on 7 bikes (2 couples were riding 2-up). We had all sorts of motorcycles including an H-D Road-King, a BMW GS all the way from Georgia, and even a Ducati 1199 Panigale (who had fun trying to keep up with me).

I've uploaded video to YouTube and updated the original post on our website with the playlist. Here it is for convenience:

I'm thankful for your feedback; I have integrated it into our site.

https://iestr.net/guidelines/

Often our rides end up as "shared destination" rides when many riders decide to head back after lunch regardless of whether there is more riding to do. Our October ride will be a "shared destination" type of ride in that there is no more riding planned after lunch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see anything wrong with the "rules" pretty straight forward stuff and stated clearly and precise, I'd keep em just the way they are but that's just my .02

As far as riding with new people, when you first start riding with anyone you have to see if you like the way they ride so even riding with the "regulars" in the beginning was new.

Can I suggest a Wednesday or Thursday ride for those that work weekends?
It's a good suggestion. Several of our members are retired and free to ride any time. They have had impromptu rides during the week.

A friend of mine who I've invited to several rides is a Seventh Day Adventist, so his Saturdays are spent worshiping with his family. In the past, we've had rides on Sundays to accommodate him as well as others unavailable on a particular Saturday.

Of all the group rides I've been on there are almost always a few that haven't been on a group ride,

so the rules and rider meetings held at the starting point are important. Without rules group rides,

especially large ones, can be chaotic at best and unsafe at worst.

I do like the "Shared Destination" ride idea, but would go a step further and suggest that rides could

be a "meet up" for lunch type of ride. How you get there and back is up to you...