Going-to-the-Sun Road - Glacier National Park

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did that ride in both directions, that is one ride I am not likely to forget.

GNP is absolutely spectacular.

I lived in Alberta for 11 years was a favorite ride every year. Never got tired of it! What you can't see in the video is the spectacular view down the side of the mountain to the valley below. Breathtaking!

I just went out here last month, but didn't have the FJR quite yet.

I saw a TON of FJR's cruising around out there, but about 10X as many Goldwings as FJR's. Interestingly enough, I didn't see any Goldwings on the sketchier stretch of road.

When you're at GNP be sure and take time to go to Waterton Lakes National Park in Alberta. The road between the two is scenic. There is a lake cruise that goes to the Southern end of the lake and a US Customs/Immigration Station at the Northern most entrance into GNP.

Funny, nobody ever mentions Many Glaciers Road. Just to the north (prolly because it's gravel), but I've seen pics. Just as spectacular.

Funny, nobody ever mentions Many Glaciers Road. Just to the north (prolly because it's gravel), but I've seen pics. Just as spectacular.
I always include Many Glaciers on my rides to the area and its mostly paved. When I did both a few weeks ago, the weather was bad and the top of Logan Pass was 0/0 visibility for about 2 miles. Could not see 40' feet and having headlights or tail lights suddenly loom in front of me was unnerving knowing the long drop offs. Have done both roads about 7 or 8 times, mostly on a two wheeler.

Last edited by a moderator:
We went across GNP from west to east last month. The ride up from the west side was awesome, through the views were a bit hazy from the smoke of forest fires off to the west. Up top at Logan Pass it was clear and beautiful that day.

The ride down the east side was a bit disappointing as the road crews were out in force repaving that section of road. They had it down to a single lane and were running a pilot truck back and forth so you had to follow him through and could not stop for viewing or taking pictures at Lake St Mary.

We did get a bunch of nice photos that day that I have in a slideshow .

Last edited by a moderator:
Bungie

"Funny, nobody ever mentions Many Glaciers Road. Just to the north (prolly because it's gravel), but I've seen pics. Just as spectacular."

Rode it this summer. Not gravel, but the condition of the pavement will make you wish it was.

Bungie"Funny, nobody ever mentions Many Glaciers Road. Just to the north (prolly because it's gravel), but I've seen pics. Just as spectacular."

Rode it this summer. Not gravel, but the condition of the pavement will make you wish it was.
So it's like every road in Northern Ontario.