Painting in 2014 Red, how hard to color match?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deagle

Reaction score
I have the E460 Givi top box from my 2008 that I just sold. The top is gloss black and looked great on the 2008, but the gloss black looks bad on the 2014. I took it to a body shop and they will paint the top for $225. What are my chances that they can match the paint color accurately? From what I understand the red inserts on the new Givi products do not match the 2014 red, or I would have gone that route. My other option is order a Matte Black trunk but the a color matched red on the top box would look pretty sweet. Looking for advice from more experienced painters.....

Thanks,

Don.

P.S. Drove into work at 51 degrees this morning. Hands freezing, turned on heated grips for first time. Very nice.

I have seen the '14 colored Givi shell; you would have to study it hard to see the color difference. As an owner, once you see the difference you will probably continue notice it, but a person that doesn't have time to study it won't notice.

The one that ionbeam saw is mine. It is the V46 lid in their "R301 Candy Red" color.

Here's a couple of photos showing the color match

100_4694.jpg

100_4695.jpg

The red color itself is nearly spot on. The only difference is that the Givi metal flake is a silvery color and the bike's flake is a bit more gold color. But pretty hard to notice the difference unless you are looking for it.

Fred! You rascal, you could have let me know how that worked out. So our friend at Givi was right. Well, that was a phone call I am glad I made now.

I find you don't like me sometimes...
upset.gif

Color-Rite rattle can will match perfectly [ @ $40 shipped]...smoothest rattler I ever used....2 wet coats of PPG clear with hardener over that will give a perfect finish.. Just give the Color-Rite to the shop if you don't have a spray gun.

The new red lid only cost me $60 plus shipping. If you're buying a new Givi trunk it comes with the matte black plastic (not paint-able) so you'd have to lay out some extra money for a smooth, paint-able (primer or some other color) lid in addition to the $40 for the paint. I was moving an existing trunk from my '05, but I was able to keep the blue lid for use later with the blue bike. That one was an exact match.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinking of painting an existing Givi E460 (no panels to change...whole top part gloss black). Just wondered what chances I had of the shop being able to get the color right. I hadn't thought of the metallic portion so I'm glad I asked. I'll have to do more thinking.

I've wound up spraying a bit of the Colorrite red - it's a perfect match on my '14. Gotta be careful when blending not to put too much base on and then to feather out the later coats of the color but it *can* look great. (It can also look like s**t when it doesn't go well but that's why we have sandpaper...) I've got a couple of repairs that you just plain can't see... one that is so bad I don't want to even think about it. Be doing that one over this weekend, hopefully.