how much harder is the BBG

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wistrick

Reaction score
So now that I have a SS1000 under my belt I am thinking about a BBG 1500, did the 1000 in under 18 hours...Question how much harder is the BBG...??? Really want to step it up and get an extreme ride in....Maybe I should do the BB 1500 first??? thoughts

Dan

I was wondering the same thing, and had one scheduled a couple of weeks ago, but some family matters and life came into play and crashed those plans. I completed my first SS1K in about 16 hours, and still felt pretty good, like I could have went another 500 miles, but I did not as it was my first and had only planned for the SS1K. I did not have a 'back up' route planned for a BBG as I really didn't know how I would feel afterwards. I guess I could have winged it, but that is not quite my style.

So when I was planning my attempt at a BBG, I figured that if I got too fatigued, I could just stop and rest for awhile, and then just shoot for a BB1500 in 36 hours instead of the BBG in 24. I routed specifically with this in mind, and actually plotted a few places to stop and 'camp' for a few hours and a nap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am betting its about 1.5 times harder.
smile.png

I have my eyes on one also, but gonna try the 36 hours first. I think it'd be the prudent thing to do.

There's a good reason IBA requires one to complete a SS1K or BB before attempting a BBG, it is a bit tougher. You might feel good at the end of a SS that thoughts dance through your mind about continueing on for a BBG, but the reality is is that there's a time when you're riding that suddenly exhaustion hits you like a ton of bricks. Much like hitting the perverbial wall when running extreme distances. You have to be prepared for it. Know your limitations. You also have to know how to make better use of your time when on the bike. If you think that every gas stop affords an opportunity to grab something to dring and a snack, or maybe stretch your legs and butt muscles, then before you know it, you'll be short on time.

It's all about being effecient. Both on the bike and off it. Most importantly, it comes back to knowing your limitations. A BBG at a good pace can be done without earning you a performance award, but you'll need to have that one short rest period figured in towards the last third of your ride. This mostly comes from my brief experience with riding a BBG (X2) and each rider is different. I also planned my ride so it would conclude about mid morning. Something about the rising sun always energizes me.

Anyways, my 2 or 3 cents worth.

It is a pretty satisfying feeling to complete a BBG.

I've known many good riders that even went on to be very competitive ralliest who took 3 or 4 times to get a good BBG under their belts. Each time it was some minor thing that threw their planning to the winds. A valve stem. Traffic. Weather.

Keeping the pace of a BBG the first time takes determination.

When planning, consider how many miles you get per tank of gas. Figure our how many refills that means. Add in 25% or more to that since you can't always depend on gas being right when you need it during the last 10 miles of a tank of gas. Figure a good stop to be 15 minutes from the time you start slowing to the time you're back up to speed (see where the comment about about having time for anything other than a top off comes into play). Take the number of gas stops times 15 minutes and that's time you lose from your 24 hours (off the top).

Eat, drink (and some evacuate) from the rolling bike. Every second at zero MPH is hard to recover from.

If you take more than 15 minutes or think other stops are possible, also take that time off the top.

Figure in an hour or two for the unexpected (traffic, etc.) and take it off the top, too.

Now you have the time to do your 1500 miles and can figure your target speed you have to maintain.

Rat hole those 2 hours until the last quarter of your ride since you may need to burn them up with more frequent stops to get off the bike and walk or exercise to get alert again (or simply take a rest break). Do NOT plan on a nap or rest at a given time (say @ 12 hours) because your mind/body doesn't often work on schedules like that.

Stop when you need to.

Call it of for another attempt if you need to.

Come back safely to try again. It's better than not coming home at all.

The BBG leaves little room for error so you're going to need to be on your game. Some things to consider...

• Find a quick route.
  • Plan your stops. You know your bike's and your bladder's range. Have an idea where you will stop.
  • Keep your stops as short as possible so you can keep those wheels spinning. Are they "splash and dash" or "fill and chill"? If you're not in the bathroom, pumping gas or somewhere in between, you're probably wasting valuable time.
  • No need to stop for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Pack your food and water in your tank bag and saddle bags.
  • If you're not completely comfortable on your bike, a BBG will exacerbate any problem areas you already know about. Take care of them.
  • Ensure your bike is mechanically sound.
  • Rid your mind of any worries or concerns - home, work, bike or otherwise. Your full attention is required.
  • It's Ok to brush up against your limits, but don't go beyond them and put yourself and others at risk.
  • Listen to your body and mind. Stop when you need to for as long as you need to and don't be afraid to stop for good. Getting home safely should always be the ultimate goal.

The Bun Burner Gold elevates LD Riders to a whole different level. Of the nearly 60 000 IBA members, fewer than 4000 have a BBG and I believe about 50% of first time attempts fail.

My first attempt failed, but it also taught me what was needed to make it a success. So lessons were learned.

To begin with, it isn't 1500 miles. In my case it was 1550, and even cutting it fine you will want 20 extra miles. Also, it isn't 24 hours. It is under 24 hours and for planning purposes you need to build in a cushion of at least 30 minutes.

So we are looking at 1530 miles in 23 1/2 hours. Believe me, those minutes matter and I know at least one guy who scraped in with only 7 minutes to spare.

If you are doing a circular route, or an out and back, plan to use the same gas pump or ATM for your start and end reciepts. That way minor variations in timings will not cost you the certificate. ATMs are more reliable, but the same pump at a gas station is usually good if time is tight.

I can go from ramp to ramp, filling main and auxiliary, in about 7 minutes. The difference between 7 and 15 would allow double the number of brief stops! So practise your routine and shave off the minutes if you can. Doing so allows you to be more confident of the moving average, and that helps the crucial overall average.

I plan a gas stop every 250 miles, as 1500 divides nicely by 250. I have a range of 400 miles, so I am never critical on gas, and that worry is removed completely.

Keep the wheels turning. As long as you are moving, and the overall average is roughly above 64 mph, you WILL make it. The math doesn't lie even when your head plays tricks on you. All you need then do is stay on the bike at or slightly above the posted speed limit, and the certificate is yours.

Plan your stops, and plan one decent length stop at either 750 or 1000 miles. By decent length I mean at least 30 minutes. Then you have that to look forward to, and once done you are on your way home. It's an emotional thing, the nearer you get to home, the easier the miles seem even when they are the last miles, and should be the toughest.

When to start is a difficult choice and an individual one. I like to get the night driving over early, so in summer I will plan to finish around 7 pm. That gives you the major boost of riding into daylight when half of the ride is done. It works for me, but not for everyone. Some prefer a good sleep and an early morning start. You have to make that choice for yourself.

I don't eat much on a cert ride. Just snacks from my tankbag, and plenty of water. Lots of water, you will need it.

The BBG can be completed in less than 24 hours, and 1800 miles in under 24 hours is fairly commonplace, but those rides are done by guys who really have the routine down pat. Still, it's comforting to know it can be done :)

I was on schedule to complete the BBG in 22 hours. That was on a 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale. The last 90 miles was on Texas back roads. In the end I was left with 3 hours to complete that last bit, so I took a longer break simply because I could. Staying alert and realizing you have time to take it easy helps a lot.

Completing this ride elevates any rider into the next level. The SaddleSore 1000 is a tough ride by any standards, but it is the introductory ride for the IBA. Many of the other rides are no tougher than the SS1000, they are just longer. The BBG is longer AND tougher. It is called "Extreme" for a reason and the sense of accomplishment is major.

This is not an easy ride, but it is very doable for those who prepare effectively.

Enjoy it.

My first attempt was successful, barely...with 6 minutes to spare.

If anything else I have ever done was as demanding, the memory escapes me. The last 2 or 3 hours were Brutal!

Most of the important lessons have been covered above.

One thing I have to add is stats. You know you have to maintain an overall average speed of 62.5 mph. My target was 64 minimum.

I had thought the gps stat clock started when you hit "go" on the route. This is not the case.

To accurately start your stat clock (Garmin 66x) press "reset trip data" as you put the nozzle back into the gas pump.

It doesn't take much to derail a BBG. I was well ahead of schedule half way through mine when someone hit the central barrier in front of me, it took a long time to clear. The rest of the ride was spent catching up. As a result I had to end it before I had all of my planned buffer miles done. Luckily it was fine. You need to watch your overall average like a hawk and waste no time at all. Get ahead of schedule early and stay there. You need to be physically ready also, the schedule is too tight for rest periods. Luck plays a big part.

think I will have to do a little more training in the form of a BB1500 or more SS1000 before I attempt it,,,My routine needs polishing, bladder is weak and bike only get 175 miles to a tank at highway speeds (before I am looking for gas)...Maybe a aux tank hmmm

thanks for the input

Dan

think I will have to do a little more training in the form of a BB1500 or more SS1000 before I attempt it,,,My routine needs polishing, bladder is weak and bike only get 175 miles to a tank at highway speeds (before I am looking for gas)...Maybe a aux tank hmmm
thanks for the input

Dan
Dan when I did mine I planned the following:

5 x Gas Stops.

Each was 250 miles and planned 10 minutes, except the one at the turnaround that was planned to be 30 mins. That takes 70 mins from the schedule. 10 minutes is more than ample to visit the restroom too.

The ride was 1550 miles and the planned duration 23 hours and 30 mins, to give a cushion.

So my planned riding time was a total of 22 hours and 20 mins.

Average moving speed needed was 22hrs 20mins divided into 1550 miles = 69.4 mph ... Below almost all Interstate speed limits.

This is pretty easily achieved, the problem is keeping the wheels turning. So I set the cruise control at 75 mph, and just steered between gas stops. It can be done off Interstate, but I don't recommend it for a first attempt.

In the end I arrived at Tucumcari, NM with 90 miles of Texas back roads to my finish point and I had 3 hours to get it done, so I took a longer break.

The Overall Average had been running at 70 mph for the entire trip, which is 6 mph higher than needed ... It dropped a little on the last leg, but only because I knew I had the time.

Planning .... Plan your ride, ride your plan.

Auxiliary gas helps, but that's all. You have to get a receipt every 300 miles anyway, and a decent schedule has room for many more short stops than I took. However, you would have to stop about every 150 miles, so factor that in or get an Aux tank.

Here is the Ride Report for those interested:

https://lifebehindbars.bracken.name/html/untitled5.html

thanks for the input

Dan
Or maybe an FJR that can usually get a dependable 200-250 miles on a tank at highway speeds without the cost of an aux tank.

Just a suggestion Wistrick, but plan to do a BBG and if it seems to be taking a greater toll on you than you anticipated, then finish it as a BB. No stress. A BB is a nice ride for sure and so no skin off your nose (or pride) if the BBG doesn't happen.

Crap I just mentioned the "P" word. Always remember that "pride cometh before the fall", or something like that. And you can take that in the literal sense.

My first BBG attempt ended up being a BB. Bad weather in the Plains has a way of screwing the pooch sometimes. No biggie though.

I never did do a BB (officially... I discovered many unintentional ones over the years though).

I don't think anyone is saying don't try. Most are advising doing one with awareness, preparedness, determination, and a willingness to call it off rather than not come home safely.

One thing you might consider is doing one out of state. With OR ridiculously low interstate speed limits, their hand-you-the-nozzle gas-up policies and such, it conspires against you being very efficient.

Western states help on the route. There are plenty of places that you can make time at a slightly elevated pace and really gobble up miles. I have made several trips in the 1500 mile range...being able to start very early in the AM and run a little over the posted
derisive.gif
can cover some valuable miles in cool conditions with less traffic most likely. Always put in a cushion for traffic or construction.

You have already gotten great advice from many here so my advise will just to be second some of what has already been said.

• Plan a "easy" route, all interstate even an out and back route is good.
  • Know the route and road as much as you can.
  • Visit the states DOT traffic and construction websites that you are going to pass through for any large scale construction that may make you choose a different route.
  • Be sure you are very comfortable on the bike and that you like riding the bike.
  • Have some way to break up the monotony of the mile after mile. I use XM radio and check things like the weather.
  • Break the ride up into smaller rides in your mind, set 300 mile goals as a way to keep your spirits up as there will be ups and downs while riding a BBG.
  • Drink plenty of fluids and not so much food.
  • Have at least a 250 mile range.
  • Finds ways to stay alert.
  • Set a pace on the road and keep it. Do not fall in behind traffic and go mile after mile like that. Keep the pace you set.

One more, be sure you like to ride long distance.
smile.png

Preparation

Attitude

Persistence

If you've done a Saddlesore, you already have at least most of what it takes to succeed at a BBG.

Everything shared above is incredibly valuable, and spot on, from those who have lived it. If you have some reservations about going for it, that's probably a good sign. I was very afraid of the BBG attempt, even though my very first Saddlesore (back in the '90's) was part of a 24-hour rally with many stops for bonuses, and I still managed 1273 miles back then.

I learn a lot by reading other people's stories, and have read ride reports from nearly everybody who has posted above. The lessons they have learned are the path to success, so the only thing in the way then is the actual doing of it.

Phil posted above and referenced a couple of ride reports from him and me...here are the links to those 2 stories:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/155634-waiting-to-pee/

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/155695-shanes-bun-burner-goldhis-what/

As you can see, this type of question brings out a good deal of support on this forum, and if you decide to go for it, don't hesitate to keep posting--you will receive all the advice and support you need.

All the best,

Shane

Latest posts