Making my 2014 cruise control permanently enabled.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcatrophy

Privileged to ride a 2018 FJR1300AS
Reaction score
I'm a lazy type, I don't like to do stuff myself if it's not necessary. I also like the cruise control fitted to my 2014, and I use it almost every time I ride, even in town (to hold down to that 30 limit).

Yamaha in their wisdom assume you don't want to use the cruise control when you first turn on the bike. It's just like they didn't want the AS (AE) riders to use their finger-flicker gear-change switch, unless manually selected. I'd added a gismo to do that on my 2010. Now on my 2014 AS, they have the finger switch permanently enabled. So why not the cruise control? It could be because a rider might not expect it to operate, but then they go and supply a tank bag that inevitably and randomly presses the button when tightly manoeuvring, so after exiting a car-park or whatever, you might or might not have it selected.

My first thoughts were to enable the CC automatically on ignition turn-on by using the circuitry I'd previously used to deal with the finger-flicker switch enable, which could wait a short time after ignition on, then make and break a contact.

Then I had a brainwave (there must be a blue moon). I tried turning on the ignition with the enable button held pressed. Lo and behold, after the usual dashboard pyrotechnics, the cruise control indicator light remained on. Yey, hey! Maybe I can simply short the wires within the switch body.

Again, I'd have to get to the switch's wires if I was to put a permanent short on them, but without undoing some of the handlebar loom to the switch, I couldn't get it sufficiently off the handlebar to get to its wires internally, and judging by the only wiring diagram I've got (a 2013 'A'), the wires separate and go their separate ways, one to the fuse area, one to the ECU.

Ok, if I can't do it electrically, could I do it mechanically? Hell, yes.

A little investigation showed that the rearmost screw holding the switch-block together had plenty of thread, the pic below shows it with a couple of turns into the thread start.
(Click on image for larger view)

Note also the head is recessed into the bottom of the switch housing.

I got a little bit of duraluminium sheet, measured, drilled and bent, ending up with this L-shaped bracket:

I've shown it with its screw, a washer, and a larger nut as a spacer to fill that recess, so the bracket can be flat to the bottom of the switch housing.

I stuck some duct tape to the face that pushes on the button to stop it damaging the plastic, trimmed to just cover that inner surface.

Trial fit:

A quick spray of black, then final fitting:

Proof of the pudding:

Possible issues:

1. Other than its tightness, there's nothing to stop the bracket turning on the holding screw - which could release the button. It doesn't feel like it will, also if it did, it would be in a direction that would tend to tighten the screw. Only time (and riding) will tell. Hey, that's a feature, if I did want to operate the button, I could push it round to release the button
    rolleyes.gif
  2. It's possible it might fret the tank-bag (or its rain-cover) when on full lock, yet to be determined.
That's it. Easy, unobtrusive, nothing to go wrong. Apart from letting the paint dry, and after I'd worked out how to do it, it took less time to do the job than it did to write it up.

Now my CC is always enabled. I expect Yamaha will eventually at least make the CC state be remembered over an ignition recycle (as they do for my AS's "Automatically change down to first when coming to rest" feature), but IMHO my solution is better, it can't accidentally be dis-enabled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome work sir.....

It sure would be nice if they just programmed that into the ECU - If you hold the button on before turning the ignition, then it remembers that "Always On"setting...

Or have it like a "Main" switch like my honda's..... you can push it in to stay on, push it again and it will pop out and be off....
It would be nice if they would think things like this through. Having to go through the same repetitive button pushing stuff every time you start the bike is futile.

Secondary note - My father just turned 80, I certainly don't need to tell anyone that old people have no business sometimes with tech in their control, they seem to find a way to circumvent any way to help make their lives easier... Got him a simple flip phone to use - simple enough.... No matter what - he will find a way to keep pushing the volume button on the side to turn the ringer off every time... Keeps handing me the phone, the ringer doesn't work.....
sad.png

OK Enough..... turn all volumes up to max.... super glue the buttons so they don't work anymore..... !!!

Glue the Cruise Control button in ?!?!

Your solution is easier to reverse back to factory though....

After an ignition recycle does the bike's brain remember the last speed setting? Can you just hit resume? I guessing no...

Mc, if you keep messing with Yamaha's master plan, They are going to pay you a visit. Nice work though. :)
Well, on my 2014 they've taken on board my "enable finger flicker gearchange switch" mod I did on my 2010, perhaps by 2020 they'll allow the cruise enable condition to be remembered during an ignition cycle (though I simply don't understand why it can be disabled).

After an ignition recycle does the bike's brain remember the last speed setting? Can you just hit resume? I guessing no...
You guess correctly, an ignition cycle (or even turning the CC off with that button I've hidden) will make it forget the setting, unlike the Audiovox unit that always remembered the last speed setting right through a power cycle. I don't particularly miss that, though.

Hey, Yamaha, if you're listening, what would be useful would be (say) 5 or 6 settings that could be menu selected, adjustable and stored in some sort of way like the heated grip settings. I could set it for the usual speed limit settings of 30, 40 ... 70 that are common in the UK, but make sure they don't rely on the speedometer values, which on my case are about 10% optimistic.

I'd be happy if Yamaha allowed me to have only one speed setting stored on my 2013, just so long as it was over 80 MPH.

It's not like Yamaha don't know this can be a useful idea.

The Cruise Control they put on my '86 Venture Royale had a "hard" On/Off switch. If you left it on, it stayed on.

The Cruise Control they put on my '86 Venture Royale had a "hard" On/Off switch. If you left it on, it stayed on.
It's probably cheaper to have a momentary make switch than a latching or toggle on/off switch. Or, maybe in some market areas there's a legal requirement for it to always start off disabled, though that doesn't seem to be the case for cars. It would cost Yamaha nothing to remember the state over a power cycle.
My solution is probably better than any switch positioned where this one is, mine can't possibly be activated by my tank bag :) .

It's probably cheaper to have a momentary make switch than a latching or toggle on/off switch. Or, maybe in some market areas there's a legal requirement for it to always start off disabled, though that doesn't seem to be the case for cars. It would cost Yamaha nothing to remember the state over a power cycle.
My solution is probably better than any switch positioned where this one is, mine can't possibly be activated by my tank bag
smile.png

More importantly - yours can't be DISABLED by a tank bag..... pull in and do some parking lot maneauvers, get back on the road, no cruise - wth ?

Do you know what thickness that duraluminum was my friend ??!?!

Hey, n7myr.... you from Wyoming??? If not, then some of them dar ole Cowboys may take offense at you using ole Steamboat as a forum avatar.
smile.png
rolleyes.gif
smile.png

More importantly - yours can't be DISABLED by a tank bag..... pull in and do some parking lot maneauvers, get back on the road, no cruise - wth ?

Do you know what thickness that duraluminum was my friend ??!?!
Before The Modification, I once lost the CC in ordinary traffic, I'd slowed right down, a bit of wriggling to swap filtering "lanes", found the open road again, hit the "Resume" - nothing. Yuck.
As for the thickness, It was something like 1.6 mm or 1/16 inch, just some scrap I had lying around. It's under very little stress, almost anything will do.