Harley guy here..

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beary

Reaction score
WHO JUST GOT A 2012 FJR! Woohoo!

And I got it in myfavorite color, blue. How lucky was that? LOL

Just put 50 miles on it yesterday and so far my first impressions after owning three Harleys are that it's quick and fast. It handles different but I'm getting use to it. I live in Oklahoma, so finding twistys is challenging.

Quiet, very quiet once I drop my head below the windshield. I guess I need a taller windshield. How do you guys test windshields to find the right height? Anybody have one laying around I can test?

Are self-cancelling turn-signals really so hard for metric manufacturers to install? Drivers following me yesterday were taking bets to how many miles I would ride before actually turning left.

Oh, what is that thing called I have to twist so I can start the bike? Oh yah, it's a key. Even my son laugh at me that I would have to learn to use a key again after using a FOB for so many years.

My 2012 came purely stock, so I think I need the slider thingys to save it from my clumsy Harley handling, but the prices of those things very from $30 to $300. Isn't one as good as the other? As does the handlebar risers, I could use a little practical advise on those must haves. As for the rest, we will take it as we go. Asking Santa for Cruise Control.

Accept for a few scratches on the windshield and windshield mounting bracket cover, the bike looks really good. I did notice a rivet missing on the fairing. I read the post on removing the fairing and the advise of the writer to get spare hardware. Is there a good vender forum members use for that kind of stuff?

First mod is fix the windshield so it doesn't lower after turning off the bike. What's the logic of that design!

Love the bike so far, I'm ready to do a long ride.

See ya down the road.

Beary

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the twisty roads, how far are you from Northwest Arkansas? ;)

I feel your pain regarding the self-cancelling turn signals. My 78 Yamaha, my 79 Yamaha, my 86 Yamaha, and several other motorcycles by other manufacturers ranging from the mid 70s to the early 00s had them. And with the electronics these things have now, it should even be easier. My '13 has antilock brakes, traction control, and cruise control. And it's too hard to have it turn off it's own signal lights? Aw, gimme a break! It makes me so mad I could ....... but don't get me started
rolleyes.gif

OK. Not really a big deal, but it does seem a silly thing not to do. I blame the lawyers.

Seriously, though how far are you from Arkansas? Some of us natives could show you some terrific roads.

Oklahoma City is about 3 hours from Arkansas. I do plan to do a trip there, but it's not a short day of riding.

The $21,000 Honda F6b doesn't come stock with self cancelling turn signals. The F6b is just a Gold Wing without the trunk, which does have self cancelling turn signals. It probably cost Honda more to redesign the system without them.

Beary

With only a few miles on your FJR I don't think you've yet experienced its superb virtues compared to a Harley. It's smooth acceleration can make passing cars/trucks in a flash. Get on a safe straight and let the RPM's build, this is where the difference is light night and day. Just be careful as 100 MPH comes in a few short seconds and it's not even stressed. The stock brakes in my opinion are superb especially with ABS. You might try some aggressive stops. Likely you'll be amazed. Cornering is natural and easy, more lean angle than most if not all Harleys.

Stock windshield is more for sport riding and good air flow in hot weather. For long distance riding look for a taller/wider windshield. Several options out there and not very expensive. I chose a Cali Sci mid size but I'm only 5ft 8. The large size might work for you. In any case enjoy your FJR and posts your thoughts as you learn the bike.

Bill

And I got it in myfavorite color, blue. How lucky was that? LOL

Just put 50 miles on it yesterday and so far my first impressions after owning three Harleys are that it's quick and fast. It handles different but I'm getting use to it. I live in Oklahoma, so finding twistys is challenging.

Quiet, very quiet once I drop my head below the windshield. I guess I need a taller windshield. How do you guys test windshields to find the right height? Anybody have one laying around I can test?

Are self-cancelling turn-signals really so hard for metric manufacturers to install? Drivers following me yesterday were taking bets to how many miles I would ride before actually turning left.

Oh, what is that thing called I have to twist so I can start the bike? Oh yah, it's a key. Even my son laugh at me that I would have to learn to use a key again after using a FOB for so many years.

My 2012 came purely stock, so I think I need the slider thingys to save it from my clumsy Harley handling, but the prices of those things very from $30 to $300. Isn't one as good as the other? As does the handlebar risers, I could use a little practical advise on those must haves. As for the rest, we will take it as we go. Asking Santa for Cruise Control.

Accept for a few scratches on the windshield and windshield mounting bracket cover, the bike looks really good. I did notice a rivet missing on the fairing. I read the post on removing the fairing and the advise of the writer to get spare hardware. Is there a good vender forum members use for that kind of stuff?

First mod is fix the windshield so it doesn't lower after turning off the bike. What's the logic of that design!

Love the bike so far, I'm ready to do a long ride.

See ya down the road.

Beary
Congrats on the 2012 FJR! Did you have a 2007 FJR also? (You're profile shows that year and it is a great year!)

Hopefully someone locally can offer up their aftermarket windshield for you to try. I have a few laying around and offer them up for tests to any new local FJR riders. I can tell you that my 2 inch taller Cee Bailey reverse countour shield is my favorite summer shield and the Vstream is my winter shield. The stock shield sucks so I shortened it for those rare really hot weeks when I want max airflow.

Not sure if you ridden other sporty bikes, but it's always interesting to talk with Harley riders. I've been told that the FJR seems comparable to the Harley, but upon further questioning found out that they were shifting it like they would a Harley and never got into the RPM range where the real fun begins! :) I think you'll really like the power once she's broke in and you really wack the throttle open. Hint: be carefull at over 5k rpm in first because wacking the throttle wide open will result in a spectacular wheelie! :crazy:

Good idea on getting sliders. They'll all work to minimize damage in a parking lot tip over. I'd only suggest getting ones with an aluminum insert so that the delrin doesn't compress and result in loose engine mounts.

Look at adding the Canyon Cages for fall protection and also for a place to put foot pegs. One of the best farkles I have added. I have a Cee Baileys windshield on this bike and had a Rifle shield on my 05 with a tuning block. I try to keep my finger on the turn signal and turn it off as soon as I finish my turn.

I also own a Harley Ultra Classic and just returned from a 4000 mile trip out west on it. Takes some adjustment to getback on the Harley after riding the FJR. My 2002 Ultra feels like it has a rubber band in the middle when I start around a corner.. LOL

Here's how non-self-canceling turn signals work ...

1) anticipate your turn and activate the turn signal,

2) execute the turn, and

3) after you do your first up-shift, cancel the signal yourself.

If you practice it over and over and over, it becomes as semi-conscious an action as operating the clutch.

Welcome to the Forum and ride it proudly!

Here's how non-self-canceling turn signals work ...
1) anticipate your turn and activate the turn signal,

2) execute the turn, and

3) after you do your first up-shift, cancel the signal yourself.

If you practice it over and over and over, it becomes as semi-conscious an action as operating the clutch.

Welcome to the Forum and ride it proudly!
Nonetheless, it's very rare that I go on a ride with more than a couple of bikes that someone during the day doesn't ride for miles with the signals blinking "turn me off", "turn me off", "turn me off", "turn me off", ............

Considering that the bike already has timing and distance measuring devices, it was be very easy and inexpensive to do it. I usually remember, but sometimes after a long light or after fighting my way into heavy while turning left from a stop sign, I become human .... and forget.

Oklahoma City is about 3 hours from Arkansas. I do plan to do a trip there, but it's not a short day of riding.
The $21,000 Honda F6b doesn't come stock with self cancelling turn signals. The F6b is just a Gold Wing without the trunk, which does have self cancelling turn signals. It probably cost Honda more to redesign the system without them.

Beary
Yeah, coming over for a day ride would be stretching it. But run over to Ozark on a Saturday morning, meet some of the Arkansas contingent, make a good ride north, overnight in NW Arkansas, have a good Sunday morning ride, share lunch, go home. You've had a nice weekend. ;)

Beary
Cal Sci and Cee Bailey's are popular. I have a Cee Bailey +4 +4 light gray with a reverse flip. The big screen works great in cold weather. I live in Seattle but less so at 85 and above. I am 6' 0" tall and sit high on my Russell seat in the low seat position.

Purchasing a windshield with the proper height is easy. Get out a tape measure and with your shield in the lowest setting measure how much tall the new windshield is - the goal is to see well over the screen for a summer setting then raise the windscreen to just see over the screen in cooler temps.

No testing is necessary.

This thread seems to be about turn signals. My first bike, a Sportster bought in 2003, had cancelling turn signals. It used to drive me crazy when I was commuting in thick, brisk-moving traffic trying to cross several lanes. I needed the ^#&$* things to keep going as I kept moving across lanes (every little bit of safe helps), but the $+#*$* things would turn off in mid-change, and I didn't need one more thing vying for my attention (i.e., checking the dashboard to see if they were still on or not while also checking my blind spot and what's in front of me, etc.). I love that the FJR's don't shut of till I'm ready for them to be off. But I admit I have developed a habit of routinely pushing that cancel button just to be sure.

One of the smart things that Yami did on the FJR was to make the turn signal indicators on the dash very large and bright. It is very noticeable when you have a turn signal on. This is one of the first things I noticed after getting my 04...

I used to have a sportster too with self canceling turn signals. They weren't all that smart and turned off a lot of times when you didn't want them to. if I compared the sportster to the FJR it is like getting out of a 59 ford pick-up and climbing into an F16.

Frame sliders- I chose OES brand after seeing a couple of sets on FJRs and liking the appearance. Price was in the lower mid range at around $70 IIRC.

Windscreen- I picked up a lightly used Cal Sci that I love. If you go on their website they have a section explaining how to determine the right height for you. Works pretty well.

Self cancelling turn signals- I can't understand they aren't on there from the factory. My '85 Yamaha FJ-1100 had them.

Handlebar risers- I picked up a set off fleabay for about $30 figuring the knockoffs should work okay as there are no moving parts involved. Happy with them.

I've spent almost 16 years working for a Harley dealership part time and while I like them well enough the performance and handling stock leave a lot to be desired for me. I do own a Buell and that's about as close as I'll ever go to owning HD. I started pricing out a FXDF Dyna Fatbob when it was first introduced in '08 and with the upgrades I felt it would need to attain my desired level of performance and comfort I was getting up to the low 20k range. Just way too much money for what you get.

You guys are great. Yes, I am having are hard time using the RPMs that are near and above the Harley Red Line. Same goes with the handling, I know the FJR can lean more, but my Harley mind is slow to change. I will get there.

Thanks for the advice on the sliders and windshields. I will start looking.

I rode 50 miles last night and find that I miss the size of my Harley saddlebags. I know the FJR bags will hold my FF helmet, but I had not realized how many things are longer than a helmet. LOL

Also cruise is in order, my hand is getting tired.

Do I have to say farkle? That doesn't go well in a biker crowd around here. How does "do-dads" sound?

It's something new and fun and excited about it.

Beary

Do I have to say farkle? That doesn't go well in a biker crowd around here. How does "do-dads" sound?
Probably better than "gee gaws."

How about "accessories?"
wink.png

There's no rush. It takes me a few hundred miles to get comfortable on a new bike even without the extreme transition from a cruiser to sport touring bike. Just try to be smooth on the bike, and the transition will come naturally.