Boot Recommendation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cav47

Adventure Seeker
Reaction score
After riding with some of you this weekend, it has become obvious that I need new boots. Preferably moto specific boots. My wolverines fit great, are sturdy, and were functional. BUT, they hang way off and now are cambered near the outside toe to mid foot.

You all have so much more experience and knowledge about gear. What I need is a pair of boots that are reasonably priced,(for me that means less than $125) Need to be able to wear them as my only pair. Versatile to walk around after riding is what I am saying. No silly colors. Black is about it. What else should I be looking for??

I appreciate the boards knowledge on these things. That is one of the great things here....being able to save each other money, time, and hassle in getting the right thing for ourselves and bikes.

Wish I would have looked at more of your feet while we were stopped, but I was enjoying so much of everything else.

Thanks in advance

Cav

I was looking for an inexpensive boot to commute in.

Picked up a pair of Vega Touring boots for $80.

3 years / 15,000 miles later I'm still impressed by

their fit and comfort.

More comfortable than some of my shoes, adequate

protection and while they don't claim to be waterproof,

my feet have never gotten wet while riding in the rain.

Tour Master Solution 2 are what I wear.

They are comfortable out of the box, waterproof and not too hot. They are excellent to walk in, and they are cheap :)

What's not to like?

I bought a pair of Oxtar Infinity boots when the company changed its name to TCX and all items still carrying the Oxtar logo were on sale. This must have been at least 6-7 years ago, when I had a 2005 FJR1300.

My Infinity boots are still like new, in spite of extensive riding (Turkey, Greece, Tunisia, the Alps, etc.) in all kinds of WX. I now ride a Honda 1200 Crosstourer and I still wear them on 3 out of 4 trips. (BTW, they're the same ADV boots TCX makes for BMW, only they're called Santiago and—of course—they cost 20 percent more).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Sidi Canyons, Chippewa 12 inch Rally and Aerostich Combat Lites. The Canyons are very comfortable, dry and easy to walk in. The Chippewas are hot in warm weather, comfortable to wear and walk in and leak. The Combat Lites are comfortable after a long break-in, dry and the must sturdy.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Pterodactyl" data-cid="1181196" data-time="1412108691"><p>

I have Sidi Canyons, Chippewa 12 inch Rally and Aerostich Combat Lites. The Canyons are very comfortable, dry and easy to walk in. The Chippewas are hot in warm weather, comfortable to wear and walk in and leak. The Combat Lites are comfortable after a long break-in, dry and the must sturdy.</p></blockquote>

I think the OP meant $125 for a pair of boots, not each.

I wear a pair of Fox comp 3 shorty's (a short version of the Comp 3 MX boot) They are MX boot derived so they are well built, offer suburb protection, water proof, and are the easiest boots to walk in I've owned. I wore them while walking around MotoGP in Austin for the three days and no problems and they cost around $150. They also look pretty nice. Good luck.

Tourmaster Solutions here also. Didn't have sufficient arch support as purchased, easily remedied by replacing the crap insoles with Superfeet blue insoles. One of the very few that offer wide sizes.

Boots pretty subjective - what one guy likes doesn't necessarily work for the next guy.

For me, I am a fan of Sidi. Ya, I know they're about double (or more) your budget but you get what you pay for. I'm on my third pair: my first pair - Way Tepor; I think they're just called their Tour boot now - were outstanding for about 4 years then either the boots shrank or my feet got bigger 'cause they didn't fit any more. So I tried a pair of Sidi Fusion Rains. Again - they were fine for a while but just do not have the fit that I want. Now I have a pair of Sidi Canyons and they've been outstanding. One thing about all three pairs of Sidis that I've worn: they have all been 100% completely waterproof. As in, standing-in-the-Atlantic-ocean-and-my-feet-stayed-dry waterproof.

Somewhere in there I had a pair of TCX X-somethingorother boots. They're comfortable but my feet got wet while riding through some seriously heavy rain after EOM 2011. I'm not sure if my feet got wet because the boots weren't really waterproof or just because they do not come up as high as my Sidi's which allowed water to splash up my pants and into my boot. But, they are definitely comfortable and in your price range.

Dunno if you have anyplace local to try on different boots but you could ride to the Iron Pony here in Columbus - they have a decent selection of manufacturers and models of boots on hand.

Josh, I have used an Alpinestar Ridge waterproof boot since probably 2009 and a good 80K miles. The boots are ready to be replaced since the tread is finally very worn, but they have really given me good service. They are on the cheap side of your budget. For me the pros are all seasons use, comfortable to walk in, and a lightweight design, reinforced shank that reduces fatigue on the footpegs and fits under the shifter. This boot can be worn with street clothes and does not look ridiculous or like a gnarly moto boot. Cons: they can be hot, waterproofing is good but not perfect after this many years.

Sizing is very true to what your would normally wear in street or athletic shoes. They have a pretty roomy footbed and are good for medium to medium-wide feet.

Just be sure whatever you order online can go back with out a hassle. You may need to try a few.

I'm a big fan of the Sidi brand as others have noted.

I have an older pair of Side Mega Way boots that are still going strong after 7 years. Looking at the Sidi Canyons now.

These are a ways over your budget, but they are worth it IMHO.

Good luck with your new boots!

Cav47

Lots of good information above. But how are you placing your feet on the pegs. If you are doing aggressive cornering with you arch on the peg your boots will probably drag no matter what type. Toes need to be on the pegs for that type of riding.

I'm partial to BMW boots. I have a dealer close by and get to try them on for a proper fit. Expensive but I got 200,000 miles out of my last pair.

Cav, I don't have any suggestions based on your requirements but can tell you what I do.

I too want a boot I can wear for more than just riding. In fact, I want a boot I can use for wading through 6" of mud, is water proof, comfortable all day and just a good all around work boot. (FYI-I don't have a FJR and ride a goldwing). I have the same problem of scrubbing off the sides of the soles (particularly left side). I am currently wearing a pair of Ariat Sierra waterproof boots. Over time they will lose some of the 'waterproofing' so I just use Ni-wax occasionally. Plus, I can get them resoled at a local shoe shop for around $65. When I tried to get moto-specific boots resoled, the local shoe shops couldn't do it. This is about the least expensive way I can solve my boot dilemma in the current market place.

Good luck.

Funny, I wear my waterproof Wolverine boots the most. When I have to do long distances in the rain I wear my Sidi Adventure Rain (way above your desired price range), but they squeak when I walk and it drives me crazy.

I was looking for an inexpensive boot to commute in. Picked up a pair of Vega Touring boots for $80.

3 years / 15,000 miles later I'm still impressed by

their fit and comfort.

More comfortable than some of my shoes, adequate

protection and while they don't claim to be waterproof,

my feet have never gotten wet while riding in the rain.
Like the sounds of these. Especially price wise. Gonna look them up. Ty