Why yes as a matter of fact, Gen III paint is shit.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKjitsu

Reaction score
I washed the bike a few days ago (Go ahead Skooter. Bring the hate. I can take it.) and in the process came to the realization that the paint (and stock windscreen) are chipped up all to hell. Mind you, this is a 2013 with 25,000 measly miles. As luck would have it, I had a chance to compare to my old 2005 Gen I which is currently in the care of my BFF. We walked around both bikes and sure as hell, my Gen III metallic gray is in vastly worse shape than the blue of the 2005 with 60,000 + miles. And we’re talking essentially identical mission profiles for both bikes. And to top it off the new windscreen looks like dogshit compared to the old one. And the new stocker doesn’t even do 12 month duty as a Cee Bailey goes on for what passes around here as Winter. Seriously. I’m not making this up.

So how is the paint holding up on the luscious red’s?

On behalf of Yamaha Inc. let me be the first to tell you........ IT IS YOUR FAULT.

That is all.

If your complaint is stone chips, I would suggest it is your choice of roads and how closely you follow vehicles. I have had three FJR's, two 07's and now a 14. I see no difference in the resistance to stone chips on any of the bikes. I make it a conscience point to never closely follow cars or trucks. I give myself adequate space and then pass them folkers with great alacrity. I suspect the few paint chips I acquired over the years were from on coming trucks, especially log trucks here in the west.

GEN III CAT FIGHT!!!!!

women_boxing.jpg

My '13 looks like new (23,000 miles), except for what I did to it not long after I got it.

Got any photos of it?

I reckon there may be a chip or two under the bug guts, but I don't see them. After 8K, the paint on my 13 is holding up just fine.

I will have to figure out pics here so I can show you where my left foot has wore the outer paint off down to the primer.

I will have to figure out pics here so I can show you where my left foot has wore the outer paint off down to the primer.
I rubbed down to the primer with my foot on my '05 too. Don't remember exactly when, but after the 2nd season or so.

I seem to remember some reports of 'soft' paint with the Gen 1's when first out of the factory, but as others have said, probably road induced, and just the product of road debris.

I'm calling Akjitsu a chronic complainer First it was the cruise control, now it's the paint whats next the air in the tires smells funny?

it's all EPA got their shorts in a wad over VOC...RIP Imron

Might be some tough clear coat available somewhere

one small rock chip at 11K miles.

But I'm well into rubbing off the silver paint near my left ankle, just like I did on the 09.

Red paint in great shape except one chip on the front upper fairing from a small rock. This occurred at about 9k miles; bike now has 16k