Turn it off

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrr

Reaction score
Okay, I've just spent a hour or so looking back to see if anyone has reported on using Kisan Signal Minder. I was recently embarrassed by a Harley rider that my blinker had been going for several blocks and his bike had self canceling turn signals.

Does the Kisan Signal Minder work okay on a 2010 FJR and how hard is it to install? I'm not exactly known as "Joe Mechanic" but I will tackle basic stuff.

I'd be embarrassed that a Harley managed to keep up with me for several blocks...
tonguesmiley.gif

I'd be embarrassed that a Harley managed to keep up with me for several blocks...
tonguesmiley.gif
Silver, you sa be da man
smile.png

Signal minder: Let's see... ya get three options: shut of signals in 10, 20, or 30 seconds. Yer pullin' up to the light. Signal is on. But while yer sittin' there, Signal Minder shuts off the signal. Now yer pullin' into the intersection with no signal. Some mindless guy runs you over. So there ya are, layin' in the ditch, when that same exact guy on a Harley pulls up and says, "Hey, your signal wasn't on... what did you expect?" "Maybe you shoulda just bought a Harley?"

Perhaps you might consider just deciding NOT to activate the signal unless you keep you thumb on the button. You'll never forget to shut it off again.

Good luck with your decision.

Gary

darksider #44

SM works for me...yes it does cancel after @ 40 seconds which is a pain but I got into the habit of resetting the switch...aannd

if you want to do more than the five minute plug and play install, there is a more involved install where it will not cancel as long as the brakes are on.

{ my FJ1200 had self-cancelling signals that were da shizzle]

I come from the BMW world where self-cancelling signals are common. They always seem to cancel prematurely confusing those around me. After almost getting hit once, the driver and I had a cordial conversation. He stated that he thought I had changed my mind and cancelled my signal.

signal switch discipline. Something to learn. Having it 'auto off' seems like a bad idea. Leaving it on by accident, seems also a way to get hit.

I have a friend that goes between his goldwing and a cruiser. He's got the 'I never turn my signal off' blues on the cruiser.

signal switch discipline. Something to learn. Having it 'auto off' seems like a bad idea. Leaving it on by accident, seems also a way to get hit.
I have a friend that goes between his goldwing and a cruiser. He's got the 'I never turn my signal off' blues on the cruiser.
For 11 years I went between a Goldwing and ZRX. To help me remember on the ZRX, I formed the habit of cancelling the Goldwing signals manually even though it would do it for me. I just punched the button anyway. That worked well to enforce the habit. Nonetheless, occasionally I'd forget on the ZRX.

The problem with the ZRX is that the signal indicators are well below the tach and speedo. With a full face helmet on, I'll dip my head enough to see the tach and speedo but still can't see the signal indicators. The FJR has nice big indicators, but even on it I sometimes don't notice them for a while.

What I did on my ZRX was mount a small LED light down in the fairing where it's hardly noticeable unless it's flashing. It's wired in concert with the signal indicators, and it reflects off the back of my windscreen. I'd have to ride with my eyes closed to miss it. I've considered trying something like that on the FJR, but I'm having trouble coming up with a good spot.

As for keeping my thumb on the button, that works very well for some of my friends. But I can't reach that button and my clutch at the same time. My hands are too small.

Regarding the signal cancelling too early, I had no problem on any of my bikes with self-cancelers remembering to reset it. The Goldwing actually cancelled a little to quickly for me, and the habit of punching it again is still so ingrained that I still do it even though I've not seen the bike for a year and a half. I'll punch the switch again on the FJR then remember that I don't need to do that anymore.

My space age technology '88 Suzuki had a speed sensor in the signal cancelling circuit that allowed the timer to run only when the bike was in motion.

You didn't have to worry about the signal shutting off while at a long stop light.

It's amazing how far we haven't come in 25 years.

no.gif
no.gif

I come from the BMW world where self-cancelling signals are common. They always seem to cancel prematurely confusing those around me. After almost getting hit once, the driver and I had a cordial conversation. He stated that he thought I had changed my mind and cancelled my signal.
I've got it on my K1600 but I think it's more of a "I forgot it" deal vs. a reliable 100% usage deal... at least on my model. Reason being, it doesn't automatically shut off until like a football field distance away from the intersection. Good for the oops moments I guess.

I still do the self cancel method.

My space age technology '88 Suzuki had a speed sensor in the signal cancelling circuit that allowed the timer to run only when the bike was in motion.You didn't have to worry about the signal shutting off while at a long stop light.

no.gif
no.gif
The Yamahas of that age used a timer and a distance. The signal would cancel when you'd gone x number of feet AND x number of seconds. It worked well. You could sit at a light or stop sign as long as needed, and it'd cancel when you'd gone the distance required. But signal a lane change at 70mph, and it wouldn't cancel until you'd done the required time.

My space age technology '88 Suzuki had a speed sensor in the signal cancelling circuit that allowed the timer to run only when the bike was in motion.You didn't have to worry about the signal shutting off while at a long stop light.

no.gif
no.gif
The Yamahas of that age used a timer and a distance. The signal would cancel when you'd gone x number of feet AND x number of seconds. It worked well. You could sit at a light or stop sign as long as needed, and it'd cancel when you'd gone the distance required. But signal a lane change at 70mph, and it wouldn't cancel until you'd done the required time.
Yes, my 1979 Yamaha XS1100F had excellent self cancelling turn signals. Rarely did I need to intervene and overrule it.

Dan

signal a lane change at 70mph, and it wouldn't cancel until you'd done the required time.
Hell, even cars don't cancel for lane changes. Protect the wimmin and chillblains.

Push the button, you lazy, forgetful bastards!

JEBUS!
Lordy mercy! It's just a discussion, fer cryin' out loud!
smile.png

And my cars do cancel for lane changes. There's a position on the switch where you can push it to activate the signal and it'll return when released.

signal a lane change at 70mph, and it wouldn't cancel until you'd done the required time.
Hell, even cars don't cancel for lane changes. Protect the wimmin and chillblains.

JEBUS!
smile.png

And my cars do cancel for lane changes. There's a position on the switch where you can push it to activate the signal and it'll return when released.
So, it doesn't really cancel automatically then. It stops blinking when you let go, so it's still a manual, just like the FJR.

JEBUS!
smile.png

So, it doesn't really cancel automatically then. It stops blinking when you let go, so it's still a manual, just like the FJR.
No, not just like the FJR. The FJR only has one on position in each direction. To stop it you need to push it. My cars, on the other hand, have two (2) on positions in each direction. Push it all the way up or all the way down and it locks and self cancels when the steering wheel returns to straight after a turn. But push it partially up or partially down and it causes the signal to flash only while pressure is applied and it cancels when pressure is released. It's quite convenient for lane changes and virtually eliminates the likelihood of continuing down the road with the flasher on -- unlike the FJR switch.

You're right, it's not like the FJR, which will leave the flashers going until you manually cancel them, but it's still a "manual" switch in that you must continue to hold the lever in a "half-way engaged" position to utilize the lane-change feature. It's still a manual during lane change maneuvers.

Still a manual, just not like the FJR being a manual. :p

I can't help but thinking that leaving the blinker on says something about your level of situational awareness. Yes, I've looked down and discovered the turn signal blinking, and wondered how long ago that turn was, but it doesn't happen often. I chalk it up to missing the button somehow, because I use that button! I find myself hitting it almost every time I upshift because cancelling the signal as I clutched was a habit I learned way long time ago.