Would you rent your FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you rent your FJR?

• No

Votes: 56 87.5%
  • Maybe, If I could vet their driving record and they have a valid license

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Yes, but I'll leave a comment on what conditions I would need met

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Definitely

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ike1018

Reaction score
I love having multiple bikes but financially, it can be quite expensive. I am curious to know what the FJR community feels about whether you would ever rent your FJR, particularly if it meant you could afford to buy another bike?

I'm pretty sure that if your insurance finds out you rented your bike there's no coverage. So, absent a huge deposit, no.

You are correct, most policies do not cover the bike if you rent it. However, most policies do cover you if you rent another bike. Then there are options for additional policies.

It has >83k on the clock. A new one will be in the cards soon. As long as the insurance thing is worked out(they would have to provide their own and mine released of any indemnity)

Wait...Can I change my vote? I don't want the hassle....never mind.

It has >83k on the clock. A new one will be in the cards soon. As long as the insurance thing is worked out(they would have to provide their own and mine released of any indemnity)
Wait...Can I change my vote? I don't want the hassle....never mind.
Exactly!

There are only two people I know that I would let ride my FJR. I certainly wouldn't rent it out to "anyone".

Friend of mine, Peter, used to run a touring business in Scotland. He rented out bikes, both for customers of his tours (he refered to them as "guests"), also to independent riders. He would take the rental money in advance. When they arrived to pick up the bike, he would get them to ride the bike up and down his lane. If he didn't like what he saw, he would refuse to let them take the bike away. No refunds.

And, yes, Peter and I became friends after I'd been on several of his tours. It's his fault I love riding in Scotland.

Peter is one of the two, the other is Richard, who I met when touring with Peter, and have subsequently ridden with him many times to foreign parts.

Both of them are superb riders, both have many miles on FJRs, although Richard has recently changed to a Multistrada.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, yeah I have no interest in renting my FJR. I have a Bolt that I am reluctantly selling to clear room for something else that compliments my FJR and I can do track days with. I'd love to keep it, but doesn't make sense. What's driving this though however is that I recently read a book called the Mesh and it brought up a company called RelayRides.com founded in Baltimore, which is a peer to peer car rental service. It was hard to imagine it being successful, but to my amazement it seems to be expanding. Anyways, I always wondered whether it would work with Motorcycles. My instincts were no, because we tend to be more protective of who rides our bikes then drive our cars, and some people like myself, even have a hard time with that. Anyways, I wanted to test my instincts. So far, across the fjr, bolt and s1000r forums, with over 30+ responses and counting it's been a unanimous NO (giving Intech his vote back). I appreciate your participation.

I wouldn't necessarily rent in the usual sense, but I would loan it to someone I trust. A friend from Belgium came over with his wife this summer and took my FJR for a 4000 mile trip out west. He has also loaned his BMW to me to ride in Europe. So that kind of thing is cool with me. Strangers, no thanks.

I have never owned an FJR so didn't reply to your poll. However, there has been times I wanted to rent a sport tourer and would have gladly covered the bike with insurance while it was in my care.

As far as renting my gl1800, I haven't. But I have let a fellow from TX take it down the Blue Ridge Pkwy for a few days and offered it out to another fellow who wanted to ride to AK with his son. It is just a bunch of metal and plastic and I am not too worried about the bike. My only requirement is a legal driver's license so the insurance covers the bike.

If an Iron Butt Rally rider needed a bike to finish the event, they could have mine in a heartbeat. It's even rally prepped :)

Other than that, or a similar event, I wouldn't want the hassle either.

Now that I have thought about this, I will share a story:

A co-worker/friend of mine had a serious cycle accident and quit cycling for a long period of time. He was (Years later) diagnosed with cancer and given

a short time to live. He went out and bought a brand new cycle and planned a cross country ride with his son. He stopped by work to visit other co-workers

and brought me out on the shipping dock to show me his cycle. He urged me to ride it, but I declined since the bike was brand new. While we were checking

the bike out another co-worker came out and said "I THOUGHT you were gonna quit riding and were done with bikes(?). My friend then said "Yes… and I THOUGHT

that I was going to live much longer too."

My friend has years since passed, but he passed with dignity and taught me many lessons about life and death. One of those things was that flesh and blood

FAR supersedes steel and possessions including our beloved cycles. My concerns would be more on the rider than the bike.

RIP my brother

I'd loan mine in a heartbeat, probably wouldn't rent the Grey Ghost though. She told me she would feel like a hooker if I did and that would make me a Pimp, without the Ermine coat.

What Silver Spirit said. There is a HUGE difference between loaning and renting. I would loan my bike to a lot of you because I know you would take care of it.

With a rental, all bets are off. Have you ever seen the way people treat rented cars, bikes, tools, etc??? No way in Hell my bike would be abused like that. Hell, I've been guilty of mistreating a rented car...And I try to treat things very well.

Latest posts