Texas Hill Country 2014

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danh600

Reaction score
Well I have wanted to go to Hill Country for a couple of years now. We have done a couple road trips to North Carolina and surrounding areas. I wanted to see some other places. My wife had to work. So off I went just me and the FJR.

I actually planned this trip last year. I left in Sept of 2013. On the second day it was just too hot to ride I-10 anymore. So I turned left and ambled down the beach swimming and camping for a few days. Fun plan B, but I didn't make it to Hill Country.

Fast forward to this year. Still a September trip but a better bike and a few degrees cooler.

No idea how you Iron Butt guys do 1,000 mile days. 500-600 is all I have in me on a given day.

Seems I hit the Hill Country in off season. I was the only one at the first camp ground.

It was nice and peaceful. Good first night in Hill Country.

20140923_143320-L.jpg

Not much water in the rivers. This was the Nuece behind the campground.

20140923_143611-L.jpg

YEA! This is what I came for. We don't have roads like these in Florida. Somewhere on one of the "Twisted Sisters" great road just not

many places to pull off and get pictures.

20140924_125147-L.jpg

Texas Brisket - Yes I like food. As you will see.

20140924_171855-L.jpg

Luckenbach, Texas

Actually a tourist trap now, but pretty cool when I stopped mid week.

20140925_110304-L.jpg

German Food in Fredricksburg.

20140925_121253-L.jpg

Enchanted Rock - Really a cool place. Very nice hike up to the top and a very nice campground. Cell Phone picture just doesn't

do it justice. I have some more pictures on the camera. I will try to expand the road report a bit with more pictures.

20140926_081326-L.jpg

Boudin in Louisiana on the way home. I told you I like food. In additon to riding lots of roads I had some food objectives. I met them all.

20140928_083635-L.jpg

9 Days

3,300 miles

Biggest day about 625 which included going through Houston Texas for 1.5 hours @ an average speed of about 12mph.

Five states.

Three states added to my list of states traveled by motorcycle. List is up to 10 now so I am just getting started.

The FJR was the perfect bike for the job. Performed flawlessly. Ate up the Interstate miles and handled the twisties fine.

Good times.

Great ride report. Thanks for sharing. I'm in Fort Worth and haven't made my way down to the three sisters yet. A must before I move to Pensacola in December.

You should have eaten at The Salt Lick, real close to Fredericksburg in Dripping Springs. Then gone down to Lockhart, the BBQ capital of the "world", at least in my humble opinion. BBQ is like sex. None is really bad, just that some is better then others. The Boudin looks good, I like a good Boudin too. Your ride looks one I would have really enjoyed. Nice one!

Texas Brisket - Yes I like food. As you will see.

20140924_171855-L.jpg

Luckenbach, Texas

Actually a tourist trap now, but pretty cool when I stopped mid week.

20140925_110304-L.jpg

Texas brisket is the best bbq, my favorite from most anywhere in the state.

Luckenbach on a beautiful summer weekend is a very special place. That small area is packed with families, live local music and cold beer.

Beautiful land in hill country. Too bad 99 % of it is private ranches with no public access. Still, I enjoyed my two trips there a lot

Where did you stop for boudin?

Dan, appears you had a great time, way to go! My mother lives in Ingram, so I'm somewhat familiar with the roads there. I've only flown out there, and rented a car, but always think what a great time I would have on those roads. Thanks for sharing.

My In-Laws encouraging me to ride to visit them in Llano Texas the heart of hil country. I figure they don't like me cause there are more deer per square mile in hill country than most places in the USA.

Thanks for posting. Nice ride report.

If you go to Llano, you'll be eating at Cooper's BBQ, you'll wait in line on a good weekend though. The rolling HD roadblocks are hard to deal with there, you need lots pf patience.

It was a quick trip so I missed some of the towns and some the good eating places. I guess I saved some for next time.

I was lucky. I went during the off season. So no rolling roadblocks of weekend riders. In fact I saw very few other bikes. Very few cars in general once you get out side the cities. I bet the day I rode the whole 3 sisters loop I think I saw about 3 bikes, 5 pickups and zero cars outside of town.

There are so many deer there it's scary. Not really a place you want to just go crazy. The deer certainly kept me from doing any spirited riding.

The boudin there is pretty good, actually. Next time you are passing through, send me a PM. I will show you real boudin